Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Random cheap thrills and simple pleasures

(48 Posts)
BeKindToYourKnees Tue 18-Jun-13 18:29:57

Silly, rude, poignant.....please tell me yours!

I can't afford to do most of the things that I used to enjoy, so am trying to find pleasure in everyday things.

Today my mum (who is in the advanced stage of Alzheimers) smiled at me.

I also wrote on a banana skin with a biro grin

Unfortunatelyanxious the hamster is a friendly wee guy on general but he seems to adore ds - ds sits and babbles at him and pets his nose and kisses him they both seem to love it smile my nephew on the other hand poked his finger in the bars after waking him up and nearly had a chunk ripped off, he avoids the hamster now daft git should have listened to me in the first place grin

ParadiseChick Wed 19-Jun-13 10:36:44

midnite not infinite!

ParadiseChick Wed 19-Jun-13 10:35:57

Infinite that made me smile. My ds is dyspraxic and dyslexic and when I bumped into his teacher at sports day yesterday she looked so pleased to tell me she'd noticed huge improvement in both his handwriting and reading. She said all the hard work is coming together (occupational therapy, learning support, exercises art home, school etc) and it was great to see how pleased she looked, like she really cared!

Hamwidge Wed 19-Jun-13 10:12:55

When I'm bagging up coins at work and I scoop exactly 20 pound coins out in one go. Aaaah.

Making the perfect cup of coffee.

Guessing what customers are going to say/buy before they do.

<sad bitch>

ProfYaffle Wed 19-Jun-13 09:19:23

My allotment is giving me lots of pleasure this year. This is our 4th season and we started as complete novices, this is the the first year I feel everything has come together and I'm really happy with it. People keep admiring it and congratulating us on our hard work, the currant bushes are finally big enough to give us a good crop, the strawberries are coming out, the trees are laden with baby plum and pears, the polytunnel is up and running - utter bliss after battling all the weeds and pests over the last few years.

beckoning my nearly 2 year old dd for a cuddle when she is the other end of the hallway, and she runs full pelt at me and dives at me for massive cuddles smile

Unfortunatelyanxious Wed 19-Jun-13 09:09:08

Seeing DH try to induce the cat on to his lap but she comes to me

Filing my feet

Finding a bargain in a charity shop

Making homemade cards

Managing not to burn rice, I am notorious for getting distracted while cooking

Deliberately not wrapping cheddar properly so I can gnaw the hardened end piece

Loving the hamster kissing, my old hamster would have ripped our faces off!

Getting into bed after a night shift...good night smile

MidniteScribbler Wed 19-Jun-13 08:25:18

Puppy breath before they are weaned. So sweet.

Watching my son sleep.

Taking the dogs out in the field on a winters morning and watching them come back to me after a retrieve. Doing what they were born to do.

Marking schoolwork and seeing a child make a real breakthrough in their learning.

A student saying "thank you". A parent saying "thank you".

BeKindToYourKnees Wed 19-Jun-13 08:15:04

I also love watching my dog run full pelt towards me, she's so full of joy.

And what Laurie said grin

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 19-Jun-13 05:29:42

Clean sheets (usually at least twice a week) preferably line dried smile

A good cup of coffee from my Philips Senseo - dark with a dash of cream.

Going out for coffee. I love the atmosphere, the people watching, the background music as well as the coffee.

Having the house completely to myself.

Having the housework done (not doing it - but it having been done (sadly by me at the minute) - so it's all sparkly)

A lovely hot shower when I'm not in a rush.

My feet being all lovely and soft and my toes painted (finger nails don't get a look in!!)

The bathroom scales going down instead of up.

Peanut butter on celery - my new love.

Going for a walk in the early hours of the morning when the world is just starting to wake up smile - I'll be off shortly.

Taking photos.

Seeing friends & some family.

MN sometimes

Watching animals with their young - obviously only those that don't eat their young grin

Skiing - but that kind of fucks with the 'no money' bit <mine too!!>

Dorris83 Wed 19-Jun-13 05:03:17

Eliciting a smile from my 9 week old DS. he's pretty selective about giving them out at the moment and DH and I will dance around making stupid noises and singing to try to get one, they melt my heart!

Seeing my dog in the morning. He's SO happy to see me and makes a big wagging fuss EVERY single morning- lovely! (Ditto for returning to the house after having been out)

Breast feeding my baby- now that it doesn't hurt anymore, it has become one of my favourite things to do
I have lots more baby related ones but will stop for fear of being a baby bore smile

Receiving a text message- I get excited every time (sad I know)

The first bite of food when you're really hungry, it's always the best bite!

Having a shower- we lived in a house with only a bath for a year and now having a stand up shower in the new house is bliss

Sharing an inside joke with my DH

Oh and I totally agree with everyone who likes to get a really good blackhead. Very satisfying!

ladymariner Tue 18-Jun-13 22:40:22

In no particular order.....

Popping bubble wrap
Getting lost in a good book
Singing really loudly to your favourite songs
Laughing so hard with your best friend that it hurts and then you stop, look at each other and start again
Snuggling up on the sofa with dh and a Midsomer
What Laurie said!
When 17 year old ds gives me a huge hug and tells me he loves me
Wandering round the garden and seeing new shoots growing
Planting hanging baskets and tubs
Leaning out of your bedroom window and just taking in the warm air and the lovely peace....(just done that)

Wow.....got such a lot to be thankful for....xxxx

Going to the car wash and seeing the Triple Coloured Foam - for some reason I find this amazing and squeal with excitement.

Watching our greyhounds run - after all these years, it still never fails to take my breath away - they are magnificent.

Waking up and having a snuggle with DH and an assortment of greyhounds.

Watching the baby sparrows having a bath in the garden pond.

SmallChanges Tue 18-Jun-13 22:31:38

Getting a message from one of my MN matesgrin

That feeling you get after having a really good meal with good company, where there had been lots of relaxed conversation and laughter. Fairly rare nowadays but absolute bliss.

Finishing a good book with a surprise but appropriate ending.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 18-Jun-13 22:29:25

And watching ds play with his Lego superheroes every bit of the furniture is used as a battlefield

FreudiansSlipper Tue 18-Jun-13 22:27:02

I just melted a little nutella in the microwave (10 seconds) then poured it over a sliced banana

It was delicious

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 22:20:40

I like seeing flowers that other people consider to be weeds like buttercups, daisies and dandelions.

I also love seeing birds flying around.

Lying naked out the shower on clean bedding with the sun out and the windows open.
A cream tea.
A really extreme orgasm grin
A tall glass of cidre.
The hamster smiling at me.
Ds kissing the hamsters belly through the cage bars is a sight to melt my heart smile
Dd talking - she talks so grown up for an 8 year old.

QueenofallIsee Tue 18-Jun-13 21:50:19

Squeezing a really good blackhead...dp gets an awesome one on his back that needs attention annually...its minging I know but damn its fun!

HoneyDragon Tue 18-Jun-13 21:49:39

Sometimes nearly always' after I've moved the rug to clean all the wooden floor, I wait for it to dry and then do several loops round the lounge on dds wheeley bug. The dog is the only witness to this and thankfully she can't talk.

They are rather......I can't see me and ds ever getting bored of passing the salt and pepper until my next fad at least

I haven't known excitement like this since I discovered the smiley faces in my colander.

KittensoftPuppydog Tue 18-Jun-13 21:19:12

Smelling my dog's breath.
Plucking dh's ear hairs.
Lying in bed listening to an agatha christie.
Looking at aibu.

Fakebook Tue 18-Jun-13 21:03:08

I like peeling oranges and the squeezing the peel over an open flame on the cooker really fast so sparks fly. Love that.

ParadiseChick Tue 18-Jun-13 20:54:50

They are amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now