Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not book reserved flight seats for us and the kids?

(728 Posts)
LittlePudding1 Tue 18-Jun-13 16:47:48

Hi, I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and was under the impression that even if we weren't all sat together together on a plane they would sit me with 1dc and dh with the other but a couple of people have told me they can sit you anywhere. Surely they wouldn't sit a 3 year old away from a parent and next to a random stranger, would they?

Coconutty Costa Rica Sat 22-Jun-13 20:40:30

Going to cape Verde, only real option is Thomson for us. Hence pre booking flight seats.

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 15:24:07

Fair do and apologies for the dreadful auto corrects

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 22-Jun-13 15:19:00

Theodorakisses - if you live near to a regional airport then using the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet is often your only option if you don't want to travel via London.

We live 10 miles from edinburgh airport, I'd rather put up with a wee bit of hassle and fly from there with a "low cost" carrier ( although the reality is they are usually pretty expensive when there is no other option) and pay the extra for an assigned seat or priority boarding. The alternative is an excruciating trip via Heathrow, which is always stressful even with BA.

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 13:13:54

But why not use a proper company and reduce the stress? Why give crappo jet people your money? For a few more pounds you could have a proper seat, meal and crew who are trained. I just booked a crappo jet flight for a tightfisted friend nod linden to Berlin was £348. Business on a proper pane was only a hundred more. I don't get it.

Housemum Sat 22-Jun-13 11:39:22

Just to reiterate on the "what would you do in an emergency" - the point is you don't know until faced with it. Flight crews are trained but I'm sure if you are in a stressed situation a lot of them would revert to survival mentality too!

There have been various studies on simulated emergencies, and people do the stupidest things like try to get back to the entrance they came in by rather than use the emergency exit behind them, adding to the crush and panic. And people almost submit like children and wait for instructions when there are other people in charge eg flight crew - people feel they cannot think for themselves. Wish I could remember where I'd seen this, was a Times article a few years back linking to a study.

My view? System is a bugger, but the fact is they are offering a cheaper option if you are willing to risk not being seated with travelling companions. If you have kids/nervous travellers/elderly/people with disabilities in your party you cannot take advantage of the discount and have to pay the supplement. Nothing will change, other than if they abolish the charge to prebook, they will just put the flight fee up to compensate.

LtEveDallas Sat 22-Jun-13 09:59:14

As do I Begonia. We've paid £3.5k for our summer (package) holiday, and have had to pay an extra £75 for guaranteed seats. It really is taking the piss, especially as the flight itself is no better than a budget flight (did the same route last year) - no food, no film, no extra legroom etc for 5 hours.

We did actually look to see if it would be cheaper to book separately hotel/flights, but when the volcano started rumbling again we decided it wasn't worth the risk.

BegoniaBampot Sat 22-Jun-13 09:54:16

And they are targeting people with children more. If I'm flying with other adults, especially short haul I don't care if we sit together so can easily opt not to pay the extra and take my chances. People with young children are being coerced more to pay often quite a bit extra to beside their child. I really find this quite repugnant.

BegoniaBampot Sat 22-Jun-13 09:50:31

They often don't. I looked at RyanAir flying to Berlin say in a few days was 287 return basic without any extras. In October the same flight would cost 87. You only get the silly cheap prices if you can book in advance. We were flying Monarch to Turkey in the summer. Each flight adult or child nearly 600 a head. Paid extra at bookin for a bundle to include a meal and bag and pigs have just emailed to see if i want to book the seats for just another 7.50 each way a head. These airlines are using people's fears and stress of flying to screw everyone over and have the punters fight amongst themselves rather than tackle the airlines.

scissy Sat 22-Jun-13 09:40:27

Out of interest, by the time you've added on the cost of 'extras' such as pre-allocating your seat, checking in bags etc, do budget airlines actually work out any cheaper than flying scheduled?

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 09:40:26

Not at all helpful, they were all screaming. It was in 1980 though

Peachyjustpeachy Sat 22-Jun-13 09:04:27

they didn't help you?

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 08:58:30

I was in an emergency landing years ago and the cabin crew were most definitely not altruistic

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 08:54:26

Haven't read the whole thread and I am probably not the only person to say this but I wouldn't give up my extra legroom seat for you if I had paid for it. It happened on a BA flight, I had paid £100 extra for my seat and booked it well in advance. Where you sit is of no interest to me

Peachyjustpeachy Sat 22-Jun-13 08:49:01

we all understood exactly what you meant lteve... just one barmy poster taking your words and twisting them.

LtEveDallas Sat 22-Jun-13 07:00:43

Thankyou SpecialAgent, that is exactly what I meant, exactly why I posted. That horse is so dead the funeral was 2 days ago smile

Morloth Sat 22-Jun-13 06:16:58

The horrible people who would ignore a distressed child/do something nasty to them are the people you risk having next to them if you don't take control of the situation for yourself. Some people suck, so make sure your kids aren't near them.

I have only ever flown a 'budget' airline once, it will never happen again so this has never happened to me.

I always book with a real airline and always do online check in or get to the gate early, we have always been seated together, never had a problem.

Peachyjustpeachy Fri 21-Jun-13 23:21:51

well said specialagent

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Fri 21-Jun-13 23:03:08

NiceTabbard One person said they would unclip a four year old after a poster exaggerated her DD's behaviour if seated next to her. That poster went on to clarify, and clarify, and clarify they really meant they simply wouldn't deal with bad behaviour and of course they would help a distressed child.

No one can tell you how they'll react in an emergency situation, but since you seem to using this quote to flog the dead horse, I feel the need to defend that poster.

Coconutty Costa Rica Fri 21-Jun-13 22:16:41

No-one will help. Even though most people have said repeatedly that they will.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

°Disclaimer I have no fucking idea if they would or not.

NiceTabard Fri 21-Jun-13 22:12:49

clouds thank you for that. I think most people would help too.

NiceTabard Fri 21-Jun-13 22:03:03

I'm not sure how to react to that.

I am at home with my DH, the kids are asleep upstairs. I work in the daytime, normal office hours.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 21-Jun-13 22:00:13

Tabard, of course most people would help. I'm one of those that said I wouldn't be inclined to help entertain a child on a flight if they been put next to me, but that is nowhere near in the same bracket as saying I wouldn't help in an emergency.

It has also been said that airlines will sit parents on the same row, or the one in front of or behind the child, so the parent wouldn't be far away.

Peachyjustpeachy Fri 21-Jun-13 21:58:53

nicetabbard are you on night shift somewhere? bored and craving human interaction.

get help.

NiceTabard Fri 21-Jun-13 21:56:46

I guess the people didn't help on the stairs because they didn't know I was struggling? In an emergency it would be a different situation I'd think?

NiceTabard Fri 21-Jun-13 21:54:39

My imagined image? What does that mean?

What is your point above? You say people won't help and then in the next line you say they will. I don't understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now