To not book reserved flight seats for us and the kids?

(732 Posts)
LittlePudding1 Tue 18-Jun-13 16:47:48

Hi, I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and was under the impression that even if we weren't all sat together together on a plane they would sit me with 1dc and dh with the other but a couple of people have told me they can sit you anywhere. Surely they wouldn't sit a 3 year old away from a parent and next to a random stranger, would they?

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 22-Jun-13 15:19:00

Theodorakisses - if you live near to a regional airport then using the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet is often your only option if you don't want to travel via London.

We live 10 miles from edinburgh airport, I'd rather put up with a wee bit of hassle and fly from there with a "low cost" carrier ( although the reality is they are usually pretty expensive when there is no other option) and pay the extra for an assigned seat or priority boarding. The alternative is an excruciating trip via Heathrow, which is always stressful even with BA.

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 15:24:07

Fair do and apologies for the dreadful auto corrects

Coconutty Sat 22-Jun-13 20:40:30

Going to cape Verde, only real option is Thomson for us. Hence pre booking flight seats.

AllTheToastIsGone Wed 05-Aug-15 23:02:24

I hadn't realised about RyanAir's policy of random seat allocation. i have just had to pay out an extra to sit next to my 2 year old.

It is a disgraceful stealth charge as it isn't advertised up front and with a young child there is no other choice.

It is also a massive health and safety issue. A 2 year old could easily take off their seat belt and wander around the plane looking for their mum as the plane was taking off. What happens if the oxygen supply fails and the child needs to put on a mask or exit the plane in an emergency?

It is making me quite concerned about flying with RyanAir. if they are prepared to take off with unsafe seating arrangements to make a bit of extra money what else are they cutting corners on?

HappyGirlNow Wed 05-Aug-15 23:14:00

You're paying less because it's a budget airline. If you want to guarantee seats together you pay a little more. What's the problem?? Why should it be any different just because you have kids? hmm

AllTheToastIsGone Wed 05-Aug-15 23:29:42

Because no 2 year old should ever sit away from its parents on a plane. Its dangerous.

It should be an intrinsic part of that child's ticket price to be seated next to some one who can ensure their safety.

Airlines aren't allowed to hide away compulsory charges so make their airfares look cheaper. It is against the rules on advertising.

For an a young child this is a compulsory charge.

If RyanAir are actually prepared to take off with unsupervised toddlers in the cabin then this suggests they don't care about the safety of their passengers.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 05-Aug-15 23:34:44

This thread is 2 years old, there are hundreds of these threads every year why pick one from 2013 to post on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now