AIBU - landlords contacting guarantor when they can't get hold of the tenant?

(33 Posts)
WeAreEternal Tue 18-Jun-13 12:10:15

I am a guarantor for a family member.

I have recently been receiving a lot of calls from the landlords (it's a company) when they cant get hold of the tenant and its starting to get annoying.

A few weeks ago sa problem arose in the flat which needs repairing ASAP, the tenant (my family member) called the LLs and tried to arrange someone to come and do the repair, the LL have apparently been pretty useless and are only now arranging sorting it out, except they have struggled to get hold of the tenant, apparently she does not answer their calls or return messages and as the repair is an urgent one they are starting to get annoyed about it.
They initially called me to say that they haven't been able to get hold of her, and they need to access the flat to do the repair, I passed on the message and the tenant contacted them and left a message telling them when they could come, but the LLs wanted to arrange a different time, so called me to get the twnant to contact them, as it worked the first time.
It has gotten worse and now they are calling me virtually daily to pass messages to the tenant as she doesn't answer her phone. I understand that the repair is an urgent one, but I don't see how it has anything to do with me.

AIBU to think that they shouldn't be calling me?
I am a guarantor, my responsibility is to ensure that she pays the rent, not to be the LLs messenger.

allmycats Tue 18-Jun-13 15:59:22

The problem is with the person who will not answer their phone. If I was the Landlord I would have written to them by now saying 'please contact me on (phone/fax/email) to arrange a time to discuss/carry out the job which you have asked me/us to carry out - if no communication is received within the next 10 working days then we will assume that the job is no longer necessary'

If the repair can cause damage if not sorted (like a leak) then it is your business. If the tenant doesn't give the LL access and the ceiling falls down you are on the hook. I would make it my business to get the tenant to sort this out. Disclaimer: I am well versed in tenancy law in another country not the UK.

Bobyan Tue 18-Jun-13 17:39:17

Just refuse to take a message, they will soon stop if you stop cooperating.

somewhereaclockisticking Tue 18-Jun-13 18:07:39

she should go straight to the LL and sort out the problem in person to stop you being contacted. She should double check they have all her contact numbers - she's being silly not to make herself available when it's a problem she wants fixing.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Tue 18-Jun-13 18:13:59

Tell them that if she doesn't pay her rent, they can contact you, but apart from that, you are not to be contacted.

Suggest that they write to her. Or give them all the phone and email contact details you have for her and tell them to not contact you again unless it is to do with your proper role as guarantor.

But really, she needs to be on top of things. She's not a child. She should know that she needs to work with them to get an urgent repair sorted.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 18-Jun-13 19:56:07

I think you need stern words with your friend

Tell her to answer her phone or return calls asap

You should not be bothered

I was guarantee for a friend a few years ago - like you I had no problem in being one - she earnt good money but had bad credit history coz of an ex

If her ll kept ringing me I would be annoyed - I would also be saying to friend sort it out

I think the blame lies in your friend

My oh does property maintenance for estate agency's as well as private jobs (if in kent and need someone message me) -- free advertising cheeky I know-- smile

But often he is told about jobs that the ll want done but can't get hold of the tenant to arrange a convenient time and its annoying

They get a week then someone from estate agent will go to the property with spare keys

havingamadmoment Tue 18-Jun-13 20:16:05

We had this happen, our rent went out of our account on the normal day (standing order) but it was when we had that run of bank holidays and weekend etc. Which meant that it was 2 days late actually clearing in to the agencies account.

They sent a letter asking our guarantor for payment as we were apparently in arrears despite the fact it had already left our account as normal and by the time the letter got there it had obviously already cleared in to their account.

They made no attempt to contact us at all the first thing we knew about it was when BIL contacting us in a panic as to why a £850 demand had landed on his doorstep!

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Tue 18-Jun-13 20:19:32

I've also been in this situation but as the tenant. I contact my LL to ask about a repair and he gets back to my guarantor instead. Is she a single mum? I've had this twice with landlords now and (without going into the detail to back it up as it could out me) it seems to have a lot to do with the fact that I'm a young female tenant and my guarantor is middle aged and male.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now