Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Re Potato Wedges and DH - he has agreed to abide by MN decision (trivial)

(263 Posts)
MsGee Tue 18-Jun-13 10:38:20

So MN jury its up to you - DH has agreed that whatever you decide, he will stick with...

Last night we were discussing what to have for tea tonight - agreed quiche and salad. He eats half of a family size quiche.

He thinks this is insufficient (with salad - bog standard so I don't drip feed, lettuce, tomato and cucumber), so I am doing potato wedges with it.

The wedges are big. He wants FIVE. I told him this was pure gluttony and three would be sufficient. He thinks I'm being silly.

<disclaimer, I don't really care either way but was just surprised that my previous meals had been 5 large wedges short of fulfilling grin >

So how many wedges is DH getting for tea then?

maddy68 Thu 20-Jun-13 07:48:45

3 fookin wedges???? 5 fookin wedges. I'd be starving if I I my had 5 (and I'm a size 8 before you judge ) a grown man would need more than 3!
Plus the fact. He is a grown adult and is probably capable if deciding how much food he wants

MsGee Thu 20-Jun-13 06:33:49

Ah thank you MumnGran that's very kind. It's made me realise we all eat too many carbs so am trying to rethink meals slightly. But I won't worry too much. Soup planned for this weekend though! ignores boiling hot weather

grin re photo - I put the piece of A4 there for measurement purposes!

MumnGran Wed 19-Jun-13 22:14:20

I did wonder if you might be a bit all over the place, behind all the humour, but don't think you should stress too much about 'getting it right' .... after all, they haven't starved to death in the last xx years smile

On the upside .... a non-snacking DH has to be a good thing, for both health and budget.

Loved the photo caption!!

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 21:20:52

MumnGran I despair of being happy again!

DD and myself not over eating. DH seems happy and full! And not asking for snacks for once. But yes, I am a bit suspicious of it all. And it's slightly odd to have to re think each meal. I found myself apologising for lunch today (DH working at home) and worrying I'd got it all wrong. And I don't normally question my opinions!

StuntGirl grin I should've taken one today too!

StuntGirl Wed 19-Jun-13 20:49:52

MsGee, I LOVE that you posted a picture of your dinner! grin

MumnGran Wed 19-Jun-13 20:44:53

...but are you happy MsGe?
or do you now think the whole house is just over-eating?

That's actually a serious question. You seem to have gone through a bit of a major head-shift!!

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 20:36:45

the body sorry you will never get that time back. My life really is this trivial. Today I am very excited about a new recycling bin delivered by the council.

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 20:34:52

Cooked all meatballs.

DD declared the delicious for 5 minutes, then horrible.

DD friend had a sandwich and salad (has big school lunch and won't eat at mine so I give her a hot and cold option)

DH not in mood for pasta so we had them on ciabatta with melted cheese. I made him 50% more than me. Both happy!

kotinka Wed 19-Jun-13 18:43:23

aaaahhhh, yes, it's been a journey wink

thebody Wed 19-Jun-13 18:39:32

Kotinka,, read the whole thread and head spinning!! Great posts.

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 18:38:21

You ok? Burnt your wedges? grin

kotinka Wed 19-Jun-13 18:14:45

thebody???

thebody Wed 19-Jun-13 18:12:36

Fucking hell!!!!!!!

kotinka Wed 19-Jun-13 18:09:41

MumnGran ace recipe!

mrsgee, sounds a really lovely idea, I might try that with my boys.

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 14:23:30

Ok that is reassuring <pulls back on cooking plans> I had kind of accepted things and introduced new things every so often but I had a lot of people telling me recently that I needed to sort it out which obviously had not occurred to me As she has boundless energy I am not that worried but I feel a bit of a failure with it all every so often and the school mums judge me

She does have abidec multivitamin drops in her morning hot chocolate grin

Quite right on the fruit front - sounds a very sensible thought. I shall make a note of that.

I also agreed with her last night that the two of us would go out for a 'nice tea' after school every few weeks, so perhaps I can take her to different places to get her to taste foods. not that I live anywhere with nice places to eat

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Wed 19-Jun-13 13:55:05

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about fruit.

Fruit is (according to my mum, who is always right hmm) just vegetables with added sugar.

I wouldn't force or bribe or even persuade vehemently. Just keep offering - few adults refuse all fruit and veg, they all eat eventually. And a good multivitamin will help if you think she is low in vitamins.

I really only started to push veg when I couldn't afford to serve huge quantities of meat. Given a chioce, I'd be happy with loads of meat and the odd glass of orange juice to boost my vitamin c levels.

I guess you could hide fruit in things if you have to.

Personally I didnt bother. As long as mine were eating relatively well, I was happy.

DS2 only eats strawberries and raspberries, he seems ok grin

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 13:24:22

Obviously once I ditch the wedge-habit you are all invited over for a meal as your thankyou punishment for calling me a stingy cah

grin

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 13:22:49

Thank you for the wonderful ideas and recipes.

DD is pretty good at eating what she does. I just worry about the lack of fruit and veg intake and lack of healthy snacks which aren't carb based (breadsticks, ricecakes etc.)

Maryz we try to have fruit and veg on show in the kitchen and eat together so that she sees us eating it but she won't eat at all if any veg is on her plate. Even at friends houses. Perhaps raw things best to put near her first. Soup is the next plan though.

Sanity and Tantrums - unfortunately she is resistant to most bribes or ways of encouraging her. I have tried cooking with her but that didn't work so well, although it got her to touch salad which was a step, so need to do that again. She won't engage in bribes or eat choc covered fruit. We asked yesterday if she would eat cucumber for a reward and she refused. I once bribed her to eat peas for a toy and she said (aged 3 or 4) that she would never do it again and simply wait till Xmas in future grin - this was in the summer!

I eat most veg (not brussel sprouts but who does?) - I was picky as a child though but in a different way, not keen on the carbs!

MumnGran DD won't touch lemon ice cream - fruit. Or lemon drizzle cake (tested that at the weekend). Or sweets as they have hidden fruit flavours. I might make it for me though. Or did you mean I should impress DH? <mind boggles at the thought>

souffle ??? Lets start with the basics shall we?

Her resistance to fruit is extreme (more than veg, so maybe I start there). The smell seems to upset her. She can smell OJ and bananas even if she can't see them and runs out of the room.

Do you think I could hide dried fruit in a tray thing with chocolate and healthier stuff - healthy rocky road? Or would it be too obvious? Just wondering as a treat to have something other than biscuits that she will eat.

Thank you all so much for this, it is reassuring to hear stories of food refusers eating properly as they get older. Its made me feel like a crap mum many times so its good to know that I am not the only one.

MumnGran Wed 19-Jun-13 12:42:24

oo-er
forgot to stay stir the lemon mix into the cream, before putting in box
Duhh

MumnGran Wed 19-Jun-13 12:16:27

Wow MsGee. Cooking up a storm smile
So:
how to impress the family at mealtimes when you can't be bothered to don't really like to don't want to cook.
Lesson 1 ...worlds easiest lemon ice cream (great after italian meatballs grin )
Assuming you have an electric whisk ..... whisk almost half a pint (just leave a bit in the bottom of the container) double cream until it looks very thick but not stiff.
Throw 8 egg yolks into a different bowl and whisk them until they look thick and pale creamy coloured.
Throw in 7oz caster sugar and whisk them again.
Squeeze in the juice of two lemons and give it another quick whisk (avoiding putting the pips in does tend to win favour with family who don't want broken teeth, but I guess its an optional thing!!)
Pour the resulting mess into a plastic box, stick it in the freezer ( and switch on the superfreeze function, if your freezer has one. If not, don't worry it just takes an extra hour or two )
After a couple of hours, stir the contents around.
After about 4 hours, its usually ready to eat. Certainly the edges are frozen enough to serve smile

Lesson 2 .... make a nice souffle from the egg whites!!

SanityClause Wed 19-Jun-13 12:06:56

Is there anything you hate to eat?

DS hates tomato. DH hates cucumber. A couple of days ago, DH said he would eat a chunk of tomato, if DS ate a cherry tomato, which they then both did. It may be a good way to re-introduce things she previously decided she didn't like.

Don't make a big song and dance about vegetables. Either hide them in sauces etc, or try to get her to eat a small piece of whatever you are eating. If they are not hidden, don't mix them in, or you risk her refusing the whole meal.

Will she eat fruit fondue? Give chunks of fruit with a sauce made by heating 100gm chocolate with 100ml cream. (A low heat is fine, just enough to melt the chocolate.) Give a small dish of sauce, and a dish of fruit (berries, banana chunks, etc) and eat it with a fork.

Your dd doesn't sound that bad in what she will eat tbh.

Ds1 went through a phase of only eating cheese. Literally only cheese. Oh and crackers and bread. That was delightful.

Dd hated any type of veg and would pick it all out. I learned to dice it up so small it was impossible to pick out grin

I used to let her pick one vegetable a week that she wanted to try and then let her "help" to cook it.
That helped a bit, although we did eat some bizarre food at that time.

And....don't worry. The cheese eating food refuser is now 14 and eats anything and everything.
Last night he had 2 pork steaks, cous cous, roasted veg, salad. Then 2 chocolate brownies with ice cream. Then toast and peanut butter. Then an orange. Then a bowl of cornflakes.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Wed 19-Jun-13 11:48:20

Ok, let's have a think while I ignore the shambles around me and eat chocolate

pasta (tom based sauce ok but no veg) - you can hide a lot of veg if you cook it well in a tomato based sauce. Start with sweet things like sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots and dice small, then build up via red and yellow peppers to green stuff.

noodles and rice - don't try to mix in noticeable veg, you can't hide it so will have a row.

fish: salmon, mackerel, cod (warm, cold, in pate) - fantastic, that's half the battle. Mine eat tinned mackerel on wholemeal toast

tinned shit: baked beans aren't shit, spaghetti hoops, ravioli are

potato: roast, chips, not keen on jacket or boiled but worth pursuing (only just got her to eat roast after a year) - mine like the skin of roasts if I rub them with a bit of olive oil and salt before roasting and get them really crisp.

ok with spicy foods (curry) - great for hiding veg like tomato sauce.

soup - theoretically. She will try it (as long as no visible veg) but as yet has not liked any I have tried with her (chicken etc.) She ate butternut squash soup once after she was told it was chicken. I need to try to make that myself - again good for hiding veg as you can make it very soft and blend it. I didn't discover until I was an adult that my mum's chicken soup was variable veg soup, blended to smooth and then a bit of left over roast chicken was chopped up in it grin

I got mine onto veg by growing it in the garden. I started with a couple of seed potatoes in a dustbin, and one tomato plant in a pot. Every time I grew something (carrots, french beans, broccoli, various lettuce-y type tings) dd started eating it confused. But I used to just put one piece of whatever veg we were having on her plate for fucking years and then chuck it out. Eventually she started trying it - starting with raw stuff, carrots, cucumber, spinach leaves in sandwiches etc. But she always ate veg hidden in stews and pasta sauces, as long as it was chopped small enough and cooked long enough.

The boys on the other hand hmm - ds1 managed to steal a piece of steak at a bbq when he was about 9 months old and hasn't stopped eating since.

MsGee Wed 19-Jun-13 11:23:33

Oh and DD is 5. She has a packed lunch every day, so need to give her something warm at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now