To feel depressed by this DM article re size 16

(286 Posts)
Rachtoteach Tue 18-Jun-13 07:21:09

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2342207/Is-size-16-normal--danger-These-women-Britains-common-dress-size-youd-expect-healthy-battery-medical-tests-came-surprising-worrying-results.html

After 37 years on this planet I have finally developed something I wish more women could have - an acceptance of who I am and the ability of being happy in my own body..... even though - shock, horror - I am 5ft2, size 16, 11 something stone. Anyway, I don't cry in the changing rooms anymore wink. I exercise 3 x week, eat a balanced-ish diet, don't smoke, blah blah blah.

It just makes me sad and mad that the DM have taken 4 size 16 women who each turn out to have some health issues, and declare (effectively) all us size 16 women a picture of ill-health! On the results of four women?!! And implying, or least leaving the reader with the impression, that any other (smaller sized) women would conversely be in tip-top health - all of them, simply based on their size!

AIBU to think that there must be some healthy size 16 women out there and probably some not so healthy smaller women? If I am BU then I may as well give up now as I know I am unlikely to ever be much smaller than I am now.

Shenanagins Tue 18-Jun-13 08:10:50

Heysoul makes a good point in that it's more to do with fat.

you also need to take into account your bone structure. I have a friend who is the same height as me but if she weighed the same as me would be fat, yet i am a healthy weight for my height. Likewise if i weighed the same as her, i would look ill.

so in some people a size 16 will be about right whereas in others it will mean they are at an unhealthy weight.

RhondaJean Tue 18-Jun-13 08:12:45

Yabu I think as a society we have lost track of what we are supposed to be like. Size 16 is quite large for most women it means carrying a fair bit of body far and like it or not it increases your chances of many illnesses.

Whether we like to face it or not

HeySoulSister Tue 18-Jun-13 08:13:04

Can I also say that every shops size 16 seems to vary

Next is guilty of this!

HeySoulSister Tue 18-Jun-13 08:13:45

rhonda I like that you don't mince your words!!

Annakin31 Tue 18-Jun-13 08:38:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ParadiseChick Tue 18-Jun-13 08:40:10

Ah the daily mail, never faltering on their mission to make women feel shit.

bettycocker Tue 18-Jun-13 08:43:28

If you're a size 16 and you feel healthy, you should ignore the Daily Fail. In fact, you should just ignore the Daily Fail anyway. grin

ballinacup Tue 18-Jun-13 08:47:47

But isn't it more unhealthy to be underweight than slightly overweight? I'm sure I've read/heard that somewhere, however I accept I may have imagined it.

FasterStronger Tue 18-Jun-13 08:48:42

if you are an average height woman and average weight (size 16), you are at greater risk of many health problems.

if you are young they probably wont affect you, but you are still storing up risk, unless you change.

also if you are size 16 and not loosing weight, you are probably eating more calories than the average women, as the high weight will mean faster metabolism (according to the NHS).

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 18-Jun-13 08:58:05

Oh the DM. Never fails to make women feel shit. DON'T FEED IT.

WorraLiberty Tue 18-Jun-13 09:00:12

I agree with FasterStronger

Imo it's better to keep your weight down because for example if you're overweight aged 30/40, that weight is more likely to increase as you get older and your metabolisms slow down.

lottieandmia Tue 18-Jun-13 09:01:14

The only real problem you have is that you read the DM - just stop reading it! The DM is a very misogynistic publication. I never even look at it - if I read it every day I would have wrinkles from screwing my face up! wink

Samu2 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:06:03

I agree Rhonda. Size 16 is overweight for a lot of women. I t being the average size doesn't mean it is healthy.

Most women who are a size 16 are carrying too much fat which is unhealthy. Sure, there are exceptions, some can be a size 16 with a low body fat percentage but they are very few and far between.

We have lost sight of what a healthy weight is.

Tweasels Tue 18-Jun-13 09:19:45

I don't think anyone is saying that some women who are a size 16 aren't overweight or unhealthy.

They are saying that being a size 16 doesn't automatically mean you're unhealthy.

Either way the DM have again found another way to bring women down.

mercibucket Tue 18-Jun-13 09:21:43

wasnt the last article about underweight people being more likely to drop down dead?

a lot of those stats looked normal then they made up some crap eg liver function is normal but i bet if we scanned her liver it'd show satty deposits. well, why didnt you scan it then, and whats the point of normal liver function as a test result if you then say 'yeah but'

the other results were mostly about cholesterol - after all, there is a multi million pound statin industry to support

GingerPCatt Tue 18-Jun-13 09:25:35

So much of health is down to genetics. You can be a size 2 or a 22, but if you have the genetics predisposition for certain illnesses it will affect your health. Yes being overweight can exacerbate certain conditions.
I'm lucky. I'm overweight (16/18) but I have good genetics. My blood pressure is lower than my very healthy active DH.

WildlingPrincess Tue 18-Jun-13 09:41:30

When I was a size 10 I wasn't healthy at all. Never exercised and didn't eat. Booze, fags and drugs were all the nourishment I needed. Size 18 now and I may be bigger but at least I eat and exercise! Still drink and have the occasional fag so not super healthy mind.

specialsubject Tue 18-Jun-13 09:42:41

dress sizes are random.

a size 16 tall women could be very slim and fit.

don't read crappy articles written by journalists who know sod-all sicence.

HeySoulSister Tue 18-Jun-13 09:44:41

but if you had taken up exercise at size 8 then your body may well have built its fitness levels quicker and more efficiently than at size 18....your overall fitness wasn't hampered by fat stores.

a lot of people say they 'exercise'.....how many do it properly??

Spero Tue 18-Jun-13 09:51:14

It's the proverbial having the courage to change what you need to change to accept what can't be changed and the wisdoms to know the difference isn't it?

I don't agree with 'fat shaming' but nor am I happy that the pendulum seems to swing so far the other way with people demanding respect for their 'choice' to be unhealthy.

Being overweight is generally unhealthy. I want to lose weight, not because the Daily Mail tells me so but because I don't like it. I have only one body and I would like it to be as fit and strong as I can get it. What's stopping me is my predilection for bourbons.

Rosa Tue 18-Jun-13 10:00:08

I am a size 18. I do cardio( properly btw as the instructor is bloody good) for 50 mins twice if not 3 times a week . Watergym / aqua aerobics also twice a week. I walk everywhere . I eat small portions and pretty healthy , drink enough water low fat diet pretty much .blood tests fine BP low .after money on dieticians and them basically not beliving me ..( one I met at a fitness day and I did 6 sessions she did 5 .....so she believed me then) so my problem seems to be I need to eat more ..yes more !!!! More so that my metabolic rate goes up.. The think is I get full and I really don't want to ..I am happy with a tuna salad and a banana for lunch or whatever. But it looks as if the only bloody way I am going to get this weight off is to eat more. I have fat and underneath a good muscle tone ... it is frustrating and I won't read the Dm article as self esteem is one thing large people often don't have.. i know I find it hard to look at my self.

Op I'm a size 6 smoker, only exercise is walking with the toddler and I eat a lot of junk. You are probably a lot healthier and fitter then me.

They should have pictures if unhealthy size 6/8's too but they won't

PrettyKitty1986 Tue 18-Jun-13 10:09:33

I absolutely despise the 'well I'm a size 20/26/32 but I 'm healthy because I eat lots of fruit/walk everywhere' etc pov.

Carrying too much body fat is NOT 'healthy' no matter how many apples a day you eat.

For the majority of women, size 16 is overweight or obese. I agree with a pp (Ronda?) in that as a society I believe we have lost sight of what a human being us supposed to look like.

FutTheShuckUp Tue 18-Jun-13 10:15:40

Why do you despise it? It's true in a lot of cases. Why is an overweight person automatically unhealthy whereas if you see someone of a normal weight you assume they are healthier without knowing sod all about their health behaviours- they could eat too much fat drink excessively and smoke.

HeySoulSister Tue 18-Jun-13 10:16:36

yes,i hate the 'I walk everywhere' excuse too

don't forget,the fat around your organs which isn't visible (visceral fat?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now