To want to take a bottle of water on the nursery trip?

(88 Posts)
Kyrptonite Mon 17-Jun-13 23:25:39

Bit of a random one! I'm 28 weeks pregnant, work in a nursery and we are going on a trip Wednesday on a coach. It's only an hour/hour and a half away but this pregnancy has been making me feel sick even on short car journeys so I am dreading the coach trip.

I asked today if I can take a bottle of water to drink on the coach if needed. Apparently I'm not because then the kids might want a drink too. I understand this but I'm hormonal, stroppy and really don't want to be sick on the bloody coach!

I also have SPD so the idea of wandering around a sodding aquarium all day with no chance to sit down may be adding to my stroppiness about this!

Am I being unreasonable and do I need to suck it up and accept its not a huge journey and if I'm sick I will just have to deal with it?

Chunderella Fri 21-Jun-13 09:26:06

It's getting silly because you keep missing the point curlew and also appear to think yourself some kind of hydration expert. You have evinced no evidence at all that healthy people ought to be able to go 60 minutes without a drink and no discomfort, and none for your new claim that nobody should go hours without a drink- some people happily do! Absolute bollocks, with no scientific basis at all, and you just made it up.

Glad it went ok OP. Maybe think about opting out of future trips before your ML starts!

exoticfruits Wed 19-Jun-13 22:10:55

And on the plus side it is over!

Kyrptonite Wed 19-Jun-13 21:42:36

I took my water. No one said anything. Kids had water before we left and as soon as we got back.

Trip was hell. It was hot, so busy and I felt claustrophobic which I've never done before. I ache like I've never ached before and I have to be in work at 8 tomorrow morning. On the plus side however we didn't misplace any children and I managed not to pass out which I thought was going to happen!

Balaboosta Wed 19-Jun-13 21:38:53

How did you get on today, op?

curlew Wed 19-Jun-13 21:30:33

This is getting silly.

Nobody is suggesting that anyone should be forced to go hours without a drink. Nobody should go hours without a drink! I am saying that a normal healthy person who has had a drink for breakfast, another drink shortly before getting in the bus should not have a problem with going for an hour before their next drink. The recent obsession with constant drinking is a) scientifically unnecsssary and b) a triumph of the marketing industry. Almost as great a triumph as their success in convincing many of us that tap water isn't good enough and we need to buy expensive, environmentally damaging bottled water.when we have a water supply that three quarters of the world would give their right arms for,

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 12:15:37

Some people happily go hours, though. I assume you were aware of that? The point is that those people have different thirst responses to me, yet I do not find this fact implausible.

curlew Wed 19-Jun-13 11:16:00

" After all, those of us who drink lots of water aren't expressing incredulity at people who can go hours with nothing, however bizarre we find that habit ourselves. It surely isn't news to anyone that some people have different thirst responses to others, is it? "

An hour. Not hours.

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 10:18:22

Personally I just never go an hour during the day without a drink, certainly not 90 minutes. Especially not on a hot day in a coach! Whether pregnant or not. I'm surprised that this idea seems to be such a shock to the less thirsty on this thread. After all, those of us who drink lots of water aren't expressing incredulity at people who can go hours with nothing, however bizarre we find that habit ourselves. It surely isn't news to anyone that some people have different thirst responses to others, is it?

As for curlews point about water v food. Firstly, water is more important than food. You'll die without water much quickly than you'll die without food. Same is true of getting ill (and as this thread descended into what's needed for survival long before this post, no complaints about being dramatic please). Water can also fill your stomach somewhat when you're hungry, whereas food doesn't stop you being thirsty unless it's food with a very high water content. Secondly, water is less messy. I personally would have no objection to people who really needed to eat, particularly pregnant women and children, eating in any of the venues you mention. Obviously I would expect them to do all they can to avoid damaging anything or disturbing anyone. I could hardly do otherwise, as I ate through a church wedding ceremony when heavily pregnant- it was the hottest day of the year and it was the only way to stop myself getting dizzy and falling over. There's an argument that people should go outside where possible, but of course it won't be on a coach. Additionally, drinking makes less noise than eating so is less likely to disturb others, and usually takes less time. Lastly, it is normal to be thirsty more often than one is hungry.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 18-Jun-13 22:31:56

Why did you ask???

That's just barking - you are an adult and one that is about to become (if you aren't already) a Mum and you asked if you could take water with you?

curlew Tue 18-Jun-13 22:29:54

Does that mean that, if you're not pregnant and suffering from travel sickness, you can't go an hour without a drink?

McNewPants2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:26:32

curlew i can go without eating, but if i dont drink enough water then i start getting headaches that leads to me feeling sick and dizzy. I also get a dry mouth that then leads to a sore throat.

exoticfruits Tue 18-Jun-13 22:25:08

I wouldn't want to try and take nursery aged DCs to the toilet on a moving coach. Also I am not sure where you would be if you had an accident and the parent thought they would be strapped in for the journey.

Euphemia Tue 18-Jun-13 22:23:48

What nonsense! I'd just have taken whatever I wanted on the bus and not asked anyone.

curlew Tue 18-Jun-13 22:17:47

I do find this thing about water fascinating. Nobody would say that a child should be able to eat a sandwich wherever and whenever they want, and their human rights would be infringed if the teacher said "no wait til break, you can eat your sandwich then." Nobody thinks you should be able to eat in the theatre, the classroom, the library, in church, in shops- anywhere you like. But somehow drinking is different. Why is this?

McNewPants2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:12:49

If my child wants a drink, they can have a drink.

What gives a nursey worker the right to refuse a child a sip of water, even more to say to a pregnant women she cant have any either. I think some one os on a power trip.

trinity0097 Tue 18-Jun-13 20:02:25

I am a teacher and been on numerous trips, the kids hardly bat an eyelid at us bringing out a decent packed lunch rather than the school offering, or having drinks/choc/cake etc when they don't!

ohnoudidnt Tue 18-Jun-13 19:23:47

Yanbu take some water smile

Chunderella Tue 18-Jun-13 18:57:28

DD is only 10 months and alas, does not need any prompting to wake in the night for a drink. When she's old enough to drink by herself without needing to wake me up (desperately waits for the day) I shall send her to bed with a large glass of water, as I have myself, and then she can do as I do and have a drink when she's thirsty in the night. She's certainly thirstier in the warm weather, since you ask about her hydration habits, and I suspect would be even worse if she were to sleep in a moving coach in 27 degree heat. As I've so far managed to avoid putting her in that situation (because yes, this trip is not a sensible idea for little ones) I don't know if she could go 30 minutes, or indeed the 90 that these children will be required to put up with. They will probably also move more than my DD does when she's asleep.

As for your first sentence, well you need to start believing. Because I would be, and I'm in good health.

curlew Tue 18-Jun-13 14:15:02

I refuse to believe that anyone in normal health who had had breakfast, with a drink, then another drink before setting off on a trip at 9 in the morning,would be in even the remotest discomfort if they then had to wait an hour before their next drink. Unless they are in 40 degrees of heat, obviously. And I would be amazed if a coach considered suitable to transport nursery aged children did not have air con.

Presumably your children do not wake up parched with thirst after 10 hours sleep? Or do you wake them every 30 minutes through the night to ensure optimal hydration?

Whether it's remotely sensible to take children this age such a long way on a trip is another question.

MidniteScribbler Tue 18-Jun-13 13:15:14

FFS, they're children, not prisoners of war. Let them have a drink of water if they want one.

Chunderella Tue 18-Jun-13 13:11:01

Yes it did and you're still doing it. Let's assume that when you expressed bafflement at people needing water to survive, you meant frequent drinks rather than water per se, as the human need for water in order to not die is quite widely agreed on. You then attributed this to water marketing, and continues to do so. This displays lack of understanding, or at least of acknowledgement, that some people suffer without drinking extremely frequently, and did so before such marketing occurred.

As for the seatbelt issue, how do you want it addressed? Unless each child is strapped onto their own individual toilet, yes they will need to be unstrapped. This is infinitely preferable to being denied any water on a hot coach for 90 minutes. By all means if you take a different view, ban any DC of yours from ever being unstrapped for the toilet on a coach journey.

curlew Tue 18-Jun-13 12:44:59

It most certainly didn't!

I just think that this idea that we have to drink all the time is a fantastic marketing coup. It is perfectly fine for a person of any age in normal health not in 40 degree heat to go without a drink for an hour.

I notice that nobody is addressing the side issue of children needing to be unstrapped to go to the loo in a coach.

Chunderella Tue 18-Jun-13 12:35:49

Good to hear you recognise that people have different thirst responses curlew but your post at 10.31 rather suggested otherwise. And yes on a coach trip on what will be a hot summer day, they absolutely should have access to water. A coach with a loo should be booked if this is necessary.

ArabellaBeaumaris Tue 18-Jun-13 12:30:14

Are you the OP whose manager is her MIL?

KentishWine Tue 18-Jun-13 12:26:57

But do you really think that everybody should have completely free access to water at all times, whatever they are doing?

Yes, absolutly 100% yes. Why on earth not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now