To want to take a bottle of water on the nursery trip?

(88 Posts)
Kyrptonite Mon 17-Jun-13 23:25:39

Bit of a random one! I'm 28 weeks pregnant, work in a nursery and we are going on a trip Wednesday on a coach. It's only an hour/hour and a half away but this pregnancy has been making me feel sick even on short car journeys so I am dreading the coach trip.

I asked today if I can take a bottle of water to drink on the coach if needed. Apparently I'm not because then the kids might want a drink too. I understand this but I'm hormonal, stroppy and really don't want to be sick on the bloody coach!

I also have SPD so the idea of wandering around a sodding aquarium all day with no chance to sit down may be adding to my stroppiness about this!

Am I being unreasonable and do I need to suck it up and accept its not a huge journey and if I'm sick I will just have to deal with it?

Euphemia Tue 18-Jun-13 22:23:48

What nonsense! I'd just have taken whatever I wanted on the bus and not asked anyone.

exoticfruits Tue 18-Jun-13 22:25:08

I wouldn't want to try and take nursery aged DCs to the toilet on a moving coach. Also I am not sure where you would be if you had an accident and the parent thought they would be strapped in for the journey.

McNewPants2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:26:32

curlew i can go without eating, but if i dont drink enough water then i start getting headaches that leads to me feeling sick and dizzy. I also get a dry mouth that then leads to a sore throat.

curlew Tue 18-Jun-13 22:29:54

Does that mean that, if you're not pregnant and suffering from travel sickness, you can't go an hour without a drink?

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 18-Jun-13 22:31:56

Why did you ask???

That's just barking - you are an adult and one that is about to become (if you aren't already) a Mum and you asked if you could take water with you?

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 10:18:22

Personally I just never go an hour during the day without a drink, certainly not 90 minutes. Especially not on a hot day in a coach! Whether pregnant or not. I'm surprised that this idea seems to be such a shock to the less thirsty on this thread. After all, those of us who drink lots of water aren't expressing incredulity at people who can go hours with nothing, however bizarre we find that habit ourselves. It surely isn't news to anyone that some people have different thirst responses to others, is it?

As for curlews point about water v food. Firstly, water is more important than food. You'll die without water much quickly than you'll die without food. Same is true of getting ill (and as this thread descended into what's needed for survival long before this post, no complaints about being dramatic please). Water can also fill your stomach somewhat when you're hungry, whereas food doesn't stop you being thirsty unless it's food with a very high water content. Secondly, water is less messy. I personally would have no objection to people who really needed to eat, particularly pregnant women and children, eating in any of the venues you mention. Obviously I would expect them to do all they can to avoid damaging anything or disturbing anyone. I could hardly do otherwise, as I ate through a church wedding ceremony when heavily pregnant- it was the hottest day of the year and it was the only way to stop myself getting dizzy and falling over. There's an argument that people should go outside where possible, but of course it won't be on a coach. Additionally, drinking makes less noise than eating so is less likely to disturb others, and usually takes less time. Lastly, it is normal to be thirsty more often than one is hungry.

curlew Wed 19-Jun-13 11:16:00

" After all, those of us who drink lots of water aren't expressing incredulity at people who can go hours with nothing, however bizarre we find that habit ourselves. It surely isn't news to anyone that some people have different thirst responses to others, is it? "

An hour. Not hours.

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 12:15:37

Some people happily go hours, though. I assume you were aware of that? The point is that those people have different thirst responses to me, yet I do not find this fact implausible.

curlew Wed 19-Jun-13 21:30:33

This is getting silly.

Nobody is suggesting that anyone should be forced to go hours without a drink. Nobody should go hours without a drink! I am saying that a normal healthy person who has had a drink for breakfast, another drink shortly before getting in the bus should not have a problem with going for an hour before their next drink. The recent obsession with constant drinking is a) scientifically unnecsssary and b) a triumph of the marketing industry. Almost as great a triumph as their success in convincing many of us that tap water isn't good enough and we need to buy expensive, environmentally damaging bottled water.when we have a water supply that three quarters of the world would give their right arms for,

Balaboosta Wed 19-Jun-13 21:38:53

How did you get on today, op?

Kyrptonite Wed 19-Jun-13 21:42:36

I took my water. No one said anything. Kids had water before we left and as soon as we got back.

Trip was hell. It was hot, so busy and I felt claustrophobic which I've never done before. I ache like I've never ached before and I have to be in work at 8 tomorrow morning. On the plus side however we didn't misplace any children and I managed not to pass out which I thought was going to happen!

exoticfruits Wed 19-Jun-13 22:10:55

And on the plus side it is over!

Chunderella Fri 21-Jun-13 09:26:06

It's getting silly because you keep missing the point curlew and also appear to think yourself some kind of hydration expert. You have evinced no evidence at all that healthy people ought to be able to go 60 minutes without a drink and no discomfort, and none for your new claim that nobody should go hours without a drink- some people happily do! Absolute bollocks, with no scientific basis at all, and you just made it up.

Glad it went ok OP. Maybe think about opting out of future trips before your ML starts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now