Is use of my name without consent on a publication academic misconduct?

(40 Posts)
mamakoukla Mon 17-Jun-13 22:52:27

just found out somebody published using my name and reputation but did not have my consent. I am a little bit furious

mamakoukla Tue 18-Jun-13 11:54:23

I should add - the decision whether somebody wants to be included as an author lies with the person not the supervisor/manager/faculty member/principal investigator. I have the right to choose where and how my name can be used.

JacqueslePeacock Tue 18-Jun-13 21:23:00

Of course you have that right. Given what you've said, I would raise it with the journal/publisher and also your Head of Department. It's really shocking.

Permanentlyexhausted Tue 18-Jun-13 22:43:08

It's identity theft/fraud. In an academic setting it means using your good name to lend credibility to their substandard work or to damage your reputation.

mamakoukla Wed 19-Jun-13 23:15:53

They think IABU.... Very nice gesture to include me.... But failed to notify me if the submission or provide a copy of the work for comment. I hate how it is all about doing things properly, being accountable, fairness and yet when something like this happens there is a certain amount of hiding behind skirts. The person knows what they're up to and knew my viewpoint from the last time this happened. Grrrrr. Venting here; thanks for the support

lemonandice Thu 20-Jun-13 00:05:45

That's really not on. I'm in "hard science" academia, and I would not be best pleased to see my name on something I'd not even set eyes on, and that's before considering potential ramifications. YANBU.

Is it some kind of messed-up idea of flattery? Or are they just sponging off your reputation? hmm So not on. Angry on your behalf!

mamakoukla Thu 20-Jun-13 04:25:58

I will be honest that there is a complicated back story but the bottom line (in my limited opinion) is that this does not change the facts.

My training and experience (15+ yrs) - you always let any author know and they get to see content and comment. Is tjiscomm

mamakoukla Thu 20-Jun-13 04:27:33

I will be honest that there is a complicated back story but the bottom line (in my limited opinion) is that this does not change the facts.

My training and experience (15+ yrs) - you always let any author know and they get to see content and comment. Is this the norm (one debate that has come up)? It is my expectation to be informed and be given opportunity to debate and decide.

CSIJanner Thu 20-Jun-13 04:31:46

Have they submitted it for publication? If so, let the publisher know and they will withdraw it with immediate effect.

florascotia Thu 20-Jun-13 10:16:17

The departmental politics may be the more important issue here, but 'false attribution' (if proven) can be considered an infringement of an author's moral rights under the Copyright Act 1988. See section II.9.(c) of this:

www.societyofauthors.net/sites/default/files/Guide%20to%20Copyright%20and%20Moral%20Rights_0.pdf

mamakoukla Fri 21-Jun-13 02:29:32

Flora, that's a useful link. Much appreciated

florascotia Fri 21-Jun-13 10:09:12

Mamakoula - you're welcome!

florascotia Fri 21-Jun-13 10:10:14

So sorry - spelling mistake in your name: here it is again, Mamakoukla!

JacqueslePeacock Thu 18-Jul-13 11:48:14

mamkoukla, I came across this today and thought of you:

K. Strange (2008): Authorship: Why not just toss a coin?

American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology, 295, pp. C567-C575

Abstract

We all know that authorship is important. It dictates the course and success of a scientist's career and confers enormous responsibility. However, despite its importance, it is clear that authorship abuse is not an infrequent occurrence. Indeed, of the various forms of unethical scientific conduct, I suspect that authorship abuse is the most prevalent and most tolerated. Authorship is awarded promiscuously as an expedient solution to real or perceived problems and due to outright unethical and unprofessional behavior. It is essential that as scientists we work together with our institutions, our professional organizations, and the journals we publish in to establish uniform authorship policies and practices that will minimize authorship abuse and that we train our students and fellows in the highest standards of publication ethics. Some might argue that the establishment of formal authorship policies and having written authorship agreements between investigators could hinder scientific progress. I disagree strongly. Hearing about and experiencing first-hand authorship problems has a chilling effect on one's willingness to enter into collaborations and creates a climate of distrust.

Link here

I hope you managed to resolve your situation successfully.

dayshiftdoris Thu 18-Jul-13 16:17:44

I googled my name and discovered a piece of research (basically about work based politics) with my name in it... As a participant... Yep no idea that the work forum was part of a piece of research and they had forgotten to anonymise my name shock

I went through ethics committee and had it dissociated from google - took a long time.

Thankfully my part in it was positive but the inclusion potentially identified others which were less positive!!!

JacqueslePeacock Thu 18-Jul-13 18:46:14

shock That's really shocking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now