To think pitta bread is just shite?

(152 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:45:10

I mean...I'm always reading "Make pitta pockets!" and "Fill pitta bread with (insert gorgeous ingredients)

But when you do, it's like eating a brown envelope stuffed with ham etc. Dry, horrid. Again I have bought pittas from Sainsbos only to find they're dry and horrible! They don't even open up properly but crumble...it's the same whenever I buy them..is it the brand or are they just a shitty sandwich?

ifancyashandy Mon 17-Jun-13 19:54:25

30 secs in microwave. Job done.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:55:03

I don't; have a microwave! grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:55:25

And as for fennel and all that...I just wanted a sandwich!

EleanorFarjeon Mon 17-Jun-13 19:56:32

God I love pitta bread, but rarely eat it as I avoid carbs.

Toasted, cut into strips, with hummus. Gorgeous.

DisappointedHorse Mon 17-Jun-13 19:57:52

Microwave them! They become really moist.

Also, watch them carefully while they're in there, after about 20 seconds they blow up like a ballon. Take them out at that point and they're really easy to open. Watch out for steam.

They really are crap if not warmed.

PicklePants Mon 17-Jun-13 19:58:00

Ooh toasted pitta dunked in houmous - yum.

They're awful unless you warm them up, no wonder you think they're shite!

DisappointedHorse Mon 17-Jun-13 19:58:34

Bugger, missed the part about no microwave!

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 17-Jun-13 19:58:50

They're awful unless toasted slightly. THEN they morph into soft pockets of deliciousness.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Jun-13 20:00:08

No toaster or microwave? shock Maybe you could heat them on a dry frying pan like some indian breads...nope. Just stick to nice rolls or wraps until you fix your hardware.

PicklePants Mon 17-Jun-13 20:01:14

'Soft pockets of deliciousness'

Crikey grin

Hmmmm no microwave... ummmmm... grill them with the door half open for a few mins whilst you prepare the filling.

piprabbit Mon 17-Jun-13 20:03:07

Splash each side with a bit of water and bung under the grill. They will magically puff up and be yummy.

The only problem with pitta is I can't stop eating it once I start.

Minoan Mon 17-Jun-13 20:03:15

You can warm them in the normal oven, put a bit of water on the top first so they don't get too dry. However, for you I would recommend Jamie Oliver's flatbread recipe for any recipe that would be for pitta, it is delicious and really easy to make, it is just like making pancakes but with a different batter.

Pitta is not nice when "raw". Stick them in the oven and enjoy.

piprabbit Mon 17-Jun-13 20:04:23

Oh - and my top tip is to use a pair of scissors to cut off one of the long edges ready for opening. Much easier than trying to use a knife.

wigglesrock Mon 17-Jun-13 20:04:56

Grill them - split them. Fill with grated cheese, pineapple, maybe tomato and stick some sweet chilli sauce in - that's my dinner smile

Shiraztastic Mon 17-Jun-13 20:07:19

We once went to a far too worthy kids party at David Lloyd and they served carrot sticks, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grapes, and slices of unharmed white pitta, plus wedges of cheap cheese. My kids dangled the pitta strips around for a bit, before rejecting them as if to say what fresh hell is this

YANBU

Shiraztastic Mon 17-Jun-13 20:08:17

Unharmed = unwarmed in my universe thank you ipad

cerealqueen Mon 17-Jun-13 20:08:26

Open fill with humous, grated carrot and chopped ham, microwave for a minute, lovely!

gimmeanaxe Mon 17-Jun-13 20:08:38

I want some pitta now. Stuffed with hummus and veggies and chilli sauce and...<drools>

TheSmallPrint Mon 17-Jun-13 20:10:10

Toasted and dip in taramasalata - heaven!!

K8Middleton Mon 17-Jun-13 20:10:11

You didn't toast them? Pah. You philistine! No wonder they were foul.

They are lovely toasted and also BBQ'd.

Yabu and inept wink

TheSmallPrint Mon 17-Jun-13 20:10:59

Only toast on a low setting not on a toast setting though or else they will be like rock!

Sh1ney Mon 17-Jun-13 20:11:44

Ha ha at people not realising that they need to be toasted/warmed first

Naebother Mon 17-Jun-13 20:13:24

Definitely toast them otherwise its like eating polystyrene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now