To think pitta bread is just shite?

(152 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:45:10

I mean...I'm always reading "Make pitta pockets!" and "Fill pitta bread with (insert gorgeous ingredients)

But when you do, it's like eating a brown envelope stuffed with ham etc. Dry, horrid. Again I have bought pittas from Sainsbos only to find they're dry and horrible! They don't even open up properly but crumble...it's the same whenever I buy them..is it the brand or are they just a shitty sandwich?

Wellthen Mon 17-Jun-13 19:46:52

It may be the brand as I have always found the open up fine. They are much better toasted though, even if you eat them cold. I like 'em.

YANBU I am surprised Amazon don't use them for packaging.

SDeuchars Mon 17-Jun-13 19:47:26

To open them properly, you do need to warm them first (and then watch out for the steam!).

Cakecrumbsinmybra Mon 17-Jun-13 19:48:06

Um, do you pop it in the toaster first? Never eat one straight from the packet...

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:48:06

Warm them you say...who could be buggered? It's a butty! Gah. I suppose I might...what in the oven?

Cakecrumbsinmybra Mon 17-Jun-13 19:48:36

Toaster!

Warm packaging. Yum. grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:48:50

I have HEARD of warming them but thought it an option rather than a requirement!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:49:08

My toaster is bust. Oven?

orangepudding Mon 17-Jun-13 19:49:52

They need to be toasted unless you buy some from a Greek/Turkish shop.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:26

Make your own pittas, then they're not horrid. Much quicker than normal home-made bread as you can use the short pizza program, they don't really need to rise, and take 8 mins to bake.

FutTheShuckUp Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:27

You need to try the garlic and coriander pittas. Bloody yumtastic!

Go and buy a Warbutons Toastie loaf. Sorted.

PseudoBadger Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:42

I either toast them, or do them in the oven covered with an olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper spread type thing. Then dip them in houmous.

MarianForrester Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:50

YABVU! Pittas are my staple diet grin

You need to toast them, though.

gimmeanaxe Mon 17-Jun-13 19:50:53

much better if you make your own

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 17-Jun-13 19:51:11

God. I really thought one could choose not to warm them! WIll they magically become moist?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Jun-13 19:51:47

OTOH, having just read that you can't be buggered to warm a bought pitta, that last post is probably making you go hmm

DragonsAreReal Mon 17-Jun-13 19:52:00

microwave them if your toaster is out!

Hasitfallendownagain Mon 17-Jun-13 19:52:11

You have to warm them - then they will be lovely.

Best way to warm them imo is in a George Foreman grill. I reckon if you put them in a hot oven you'd need to wrap in foil to stop them going hard.

ParadiseChick Mon 17-Jun-13 19:52:28

They have to be warned! It's not optional.

Tiredmumno1 Mon 17-Jun-13 19:53:28

Grimma grin

Neo just stick it in the oven til it's warm enough to be cut open then let it cool down a bit before eating it.

AlfieBear87 Mon 17-Jun-13 19:53:31

Make them into crisps - they're amazing!

Slice in half, brush over with oil, cover with fennel, coriander and cumin seeds, sprinkle with salt, cut into triangles then bake for 10 mins............then use to scoop up your dip of choice!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew you've not been warming them shock they are so delicious toasted yum yum seriously, tesco value wholemeal pittas can taste excellent when toasted, you're missing out.
Wait until you've done it you'll understand it all then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now