Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder WTF 'artisan' is supposed to mean and think it's the epitome of ponciness?!

(148 Posts)
WhizzerAndChips Sun 16-Jun-13 21:31:15

I keep seeing and hearing the word 'artisan' being bandied about lately.
Someone on FB is making 'artisan' biscuits. A shop in town sells artisan bread rolls.
the more I type it the less it looks like a real word
AIBU to think it's just the new trendy, arty farty word for pretty things?!

Yeah I remember the artisanal slippers thread.

Growlithe Sun 16-Jun-13 22:26:23

Artisan cleaner with home made cleaning products

No no no! Not homemade. Handcrafted

ariadneoliver Belgium Sun 16-Jun-13 22:27:37

You don't want lemon juice based cleaners for your marble tops. For those you need good old fashioned chemicals. grin

ubik Sun 16-Jun-13 22:28:37

Sorry crafted and sourced

TheSecondComing Sun 16-Jun-13 22:42:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yep it's me from the party where I was invited:

" to take my shoes off and help myself to a pair of artisanal slippers from the basket".

Giant basket full of Toast style embroidered slippers.

hmm

Openyourheart Sun 16-Jun-13 22:56:13

I will only buy artisan bread if it specifically states that it has been "hand baked". I love the idea of all these little craftsmen and women sitting for hours baking the bread in their warm cupped hands. It must take them such a long time to create a loaf that I don't mind paying a few pounds extra.

Triumphoveradversity Sun 16-Jun-13 23:08:24

I prefer food made by machines as it doesn't cough over it nor forget to wash its hands after a poo. I guess it can always splinter hard shards of plastic or drop in a sheared piece of metal in as an alternative.

DH calls it 'fartisan' bread and says it makes him chuff with all those seeds and bloody tackle in it; he's from Yorkshire.

juneybean Mon 17-Jun-13 06:26:34

I've read the word artisan too much and now its lost all meaning...

TheFallenNinja Mon 17-Jun-13 06:49:53

YANBU. The words artisan, organic, all natural and British before anything means increase the price to make it seem swanky.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 17-Jun-13 07:22:44

If you're buying more than one artisan thing, don't miss the opportunity to refer to your shopping trip as "curating".

quesadilla Mon 17-Jun-13 07:29:54

YANBU. Artisan basically means "I saw you coming and whacked up the profit margin by 1000 per cent."

Some of it is good stuff, some shite. But let's not kid ourselves it means anything other than "this is middle class snake oil."

Lazyjaney Mon 17-Jun-13 07:33:53

"this is middle class snake oil."

Lovingly made by hand of course grin

ariadneoliver Belgium Mon 17-Jun-13 07:52:49

Free range snakes I hope. grin

ProfYaffle Mon 17-Jun-13 07:58:17

There's an artisan market in a village near us, full of lavender bags and bunting sewn by the residents. So that's be a craft market then hmm

mignonette Mon 17-Jun-13 08:06:43

After you have sourced your artisanal products, be sure to curate them. And wear clothing chosen from your spring/summer wardrobe 'edit'.

So irritating, my skin itches...

Nettymania Mon 17-Jun-13 08:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreBeta Mon 17-Jun-13 08:28:19

Artisan is a word used by quite well off leftie North London chattering classes to describe people who do working class jobs but they dont want to say manual worker so they say 'artisan'.

It all started with the Bloomsbury Group in the early part of 20th Century who were actually upper middle class intellectuals who never did a stroke of manual work in their lives and lived incredibly privelleged lives. They patronised the 'artisan' and felt good about themselves because they didnt have indentured servants like the landed gentry.

The gap between rich and poor in the early 20th Century was a wide as it is today and interesting that the incredibly well off upper middle class in London of today again are displaying their wealth with ostentatious purchases of artisan products that people on ordinary incomes simply can't possibly afford.

The fact that the actual work of making artisan products is being done by people on minimum wage struggling to make ends meet in one of the most expensive cities in the world seems to escape the notice of these people who congratulate themselves in their 'right on' leftie credentials and their very good taste.

Putting the word Artisan in front of bread does not make the bread better, only smaller.

. And three times as expensive.

Take Gails Artisan Bread, a tiny rock hard loaf, better used to feed a trebuchet, than a mouth.

mignonette Mon 17-Jun-13 08:33:38

MoreBeta

Am singing the Red Flag as I write. I liked your post...

mrsjay Mon 17-Jun-13 08:39:44

*it's me from the party where I was invited:

" to take my shoes off and help myself to a pair of artisanal slippers from the basket".

Giant basket full of Toast style embroidered slippers.*

There you are laurie was waiting on you grin this story is famous

mrsjay Mon 17-Jun-13 08:43:26

The gap between rich and poor in the early 20th Century was a wide as it is today and interesting that the incredibly well off upper middle class in London of today again are displaying their wealth with ostentatious purchases of artisan products that people on ordinary incomes simply can't possibly afford.

The sourcers of these products probably think they are helping out the 'Artisan producers' make an honest living and make themselves feel better for being so rich grin

artisanal slippers

Are somebody being precious about their floors? grin

mrsjay Mon 17-Jun-13 08:54:16

Are somebody being precious about their floors?

not just any old floors id imagine original feature floors grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now