To wonder WTF 'artisan' is supposed to mean and think it's the epitome of ponciness?!

(148 Posts)
WhizzerAndChips Sun 16-Jun-13 21:31:15

I keep seeing and hearing the word 'artisan' being bandied about lately.
Someone on FB is making 'artisan' biscuits. A shop in town sells artisan bread rolls.
the more I type it the less it looks like a real word
AIBU to think it's just the new trendy, arty farty word for pretty things?!

Ragusa Sun 16-Jun-13 21:33:45

YANBU - it's the new 'bespoke'.

dorothyelmhirst Sun 16-Jun-13 21:33:46

It just means skilled handmade, it has been in use for centuries.

MalcolmTuckersMum Sun 16-Jun-13 21:33:55

Maybe. Or maybe it's a way for people to express that they've made their stuff with care, over time and with good ingredients? I don't know. I'd be more likely to buy something labelled as such because I appreciate what it means. I also know there's no such thing as an 'artisan' sausage roll!

echt Sun 16-Jun-13 21:35:13

Yes, it's shite. Here in Melbourne, "boutique" and "gourmet" are the meaningless adjectives slapped around.

NewAtThisMalarky Sun 16-Jun-13 21:35:31

YABU. Artisan, when relating to food, means made using traditional or non-industrial methods.

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:39:07

Artisan roughly translated means "we will charge you extra" grin

Obv. it denotes craftman/womanship, skill, quality, as opposed to cheap, mass produced stuff, but I suspect a lot of things will now become 'artisan' that perhaps weren't before wink

LifeofPo Sun 16-Jun-13 21:40:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:41:52

Or even better - outsource the sourcing grin

dandydorset Sun 16-Jun-13 21:42:23

the name to me means poncy over priced goods akin to shabby chic IMO

battlestarB Sun 16-Jun-13 21:43:00

is artisan the new boho

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 21:43:59

at Tebay services you get artisan sausage rolls and meat pies they cost a fortune I love these threads It is so poncy a word I am waiting on the mumsnetter to come on and tell the best Artisan story ever

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 21:45:13

is it not ingredients rather than products so your source your whole meal hand grinded flour to prepare your artisan bread wink

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:45:52

Tebay is fab though - definitely good for a drool at all the Lovely Things before settling for a packet of Starburst in the newsagent...

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 16-Jun-13 21:49:03

Neighbour told me her sister ran a company which made doors, UPVC ones, not just UPVC ones, but 'artisanal' UPVC ones.
Neighbour is the offsping of Hyacinth Bucket and Belinda from 'Tuscany for Beginners'.

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 21:49:10

yes I do like a mooch we always stop at Tebay Dh will drive on a bit further so we can stop and have a wander round the shop we do the same coming south we are half way home at tebay DD loves the hot chocolate they just do hot milk with a chocolate stick in it

IgnatiusSprat Sun 16-Jun-13 21:50:03

FIL makes artisan breads in his bakery. It just means not bog standard; so, sour doughs, foccacia, soda bread etc.

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:51:33

When did they become 'artisan' though - those kind of breads have existed for years without being 'artisan'! Very lovely they are though - yum.

TheSecondComing Sun 16-Jun-13 21:53:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Sun 16-Jun-13 21:54:00

I never knowingly buy anything made by an artisan. Makes me irrationally furious.

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 21:54:04

It is just everywhere now used to hear it on cooking programmes then see it in expensive baker shops now it is bloody exploded , I think it came about when folk started sourcing their shopping

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 21:54:46

I had an artisan pie yesterday, it cost a fucking fiver

for a pie ! get thee to greggs grin

SirChenjin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:55:42

What the bloody hell was in your pie TheSecond??

Oh yes, mrsjay - the whole sourcing thing does my head in.

S

Sorry, random S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now