Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I think, morally speaking (and probably taste too) I'd be ok about eating someone if my life depended on it.

(111 Posts)

I was just pondering this as I cooked some bacon. As you do.

Pigs are lovely, I'm very fond, but I've no issue with eating them. Lambs too, and all sorts of other animals. And I thought, woudl I eat, say, a dolphin?

Hmm. Probably. Especially if I was really hungry and it was all there was.

shock

And then I thought, well, what about a person.

And do you know, my brain doesn't scream in horror at the idea. If I was marooned on a desert island for eg, with someone else, and they starved to death, I'd probably be ok with cooking and eating what was left of them. And in fact, if someone else did the butchering bit, I'd probably chow down fairly happily.

shockshock

I've never really thought about it before. But there you go.

AIBU?

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 10:05:28

MoreBeta I think there's a fair chance you'd die of shock and/or blood loss, maybe even before getting chance to tuck in. Amputations done without proper anaesthesia etc have historically not had brilliant survival rates, even when done by the best surgeons of the day. Unless you ended up on an island that had no food but state of the art medical supplies and a handy manual on self-amputation for beginners. Infection could probably also set in, but you'd have probably at least been able to eat the hand by then. It'd be a right fucker to die before even getting the chance to chow down.

Poledra Wed 19-Jun-13 10:24:46

I'm now concerned that we have no pets and next door's cat looks huge but is properly a mere titbit when you remove his fur sad <contemplates getting a nice big dog for Emergency Rations>

I'd do it. And could probably butcher someone too, as I'm not squeamish about things like that. Would be difficult without my nice sharp knives though. And they wouldn't let me on a flight with one in my hand bag
<'Oh no, nice security person, I have no intention of using the knife on the flight. It's in case we're in a plane crash and I need to butcher the dead folks for the rest of us to eat'>

Chunderella Wed 19-Jun-13 10:29:32

I'd eat the next door neighbour instead.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 19-Jun-13 10:34:03

I think what would send you dotty about eating humans is not that there is anything in the meat itself that would physically affect you, but rather the psychological impact on you of eating a fellow human being and the impact of your life up to and at that point that was so awful that you were left with no option but to eat your neighbour.

Poledra Wed 19-Jun-13 10:34:38

Yes, but she and I are probably well-matched in height and weight, so it could be difficult to take her down - though she's single and DH is a big chap so between us, we could do it, I reckon. <scratches Big Dog off necessary purchase list>

Eastpoint Wed 19-Jun-13 11:21:23

I really don't like my next door neighbour. Anybody feel like trying her? She is mid-50s & has a very good diet washed down with red wine.

Oh dear, have I gone beyond normal levels of poor taste?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 19-Jun-13 12:02:33

On here?

I don't think it's possible.

grin

Eastpoint Wed 19-Jun-13 19:27:02

smile

MoreBeta Wed 19-Jun-13 22:19:27

Of course as we know, women live ages longer than men in disasters because of body fat.

If I were on the MN death flight and survived the crash all I could look forward to was a slow and certain death with you lot eyeing me up for weeks (not in a good way either) just waiting for me to pop my clogs.

I might be tempted to try the amputation route or perhaps just nibble a finger off each day to keep my strength up like a sort of fleshy version of Kendal Mint Cake. grin

Chunderella Fri 21-Jun-13 10:30:01

Better cannibalism than airline food, anyway. Or Kendall mint cake.

tungthai Fri 21-Jun-13 11:23:19

I don't think I could. I don't think my desire to survive would be strong enough to eat human flesh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now