how likely is it to be employed as a PART-TIME MATHS TEACHER in my 40's

(28 Posts)
margaery Sun 16-Jun-13 15:32:53

I have two dc's. 5 and 3. Both DC's have health problems which is why i took redundancy from a successful career in IT at 38. Money was great in IT but I had to work overnights, and weekends at extremely short notice and job security is rubbish in the industry at the moment. Have been made redundant 3 times in 11 years. Also IT is a young persons game. You have to constantly keep up with technology so by not working for years, I am pretty much unemployable now.

DC2 starts school next year hopefully, so I thought next year I could volunteer to work in school in maths dept to see what it's like. I have Maths degree (2:2) and Masters in Comp Sci.

Another thing, I got an A in Maths at GCSE, however, I only got a C at A-Level. I was on for at least a B, but was going through a bad time so underachieved. Would this be a problem when applying for course or jobs ?

Ideally, I would do a PGCE or GTP and qualify at age 43.

But I have heard alot of negative stuff about teaching such as:-

1) 50 hour weeks (which is why if i thought if did it part-time it would be more manageable). and therefore working holidays and weekends.

2) don't do it if you have low self esteem cos you are constantly being monitored (ofsted?)

3) It's a young persons game and people are often burnt out by 50's. I am looking for a career that will take me into my 60's.

4) Maths is a core subject so more pressure to get results.

Any advice from any teachers would be much appreciated.
Also how difficult/easy is to get part-time work in Maths dept ?
Is Maths an easier subject to mark than other subjects ?

frogspoon Sun 16-Jun-13 17:07:40

If you enjoy working with young people and want to work in a school environment, have you looked into being a TA or LSA?

You will have shorter hours than a maths teacher, with little or no planning or marking. Your maths skills will still be very useful if you were to be a LSA in a secondary school.

badbride Sun 16-Jun-13 17:54:10

Why tie yourself down to a job when you could work for yourself? There is a huge demand for private tutors to help kids struggling with maths/ compsci at all stages of their school careers, see this recent Guardian story. There's also demand for training adults in computer literacy/ basic programming, something you for which you are eminently qualified.

Pros: you could probably charge a decent hourly rate, and arrange the hours to suit you (up to a point--you'd be limited by school hours if you only tutor kids). You are free to ditch any tutees if they turn out to be ghastly (not an option in school). Plus you'd actually get to teach maths, rather than spend the majority of your time on crowd control/ social work, which is what a lot of school teaching these days involves, by all accounts.

Cons: less job security (you are responsible for finding the work), having to deal with all the paperwork.

margaery Sun 16-Jun-13 21:32:29

That's great. Thanks all. Good for me to hear that you don't always get lots of high caliber applicants at good schools.

frogspoon
I would love to be a TA/LSA if money wasn't an issue, but I need something that I can go full-time in and earn a bit more, just incase DH's IT career dwindles.

badbride also i need to be working when my kids are at school. With private tuition I would be working after school, evenings and possible weekends. But totally appreciate the idea of not having to deal with crowd control/social work etc. Maybe a thought for later on, when the kids are older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now