To want this lady supervised?

(106 Posts)
Sparklymommy Sun 16-Jun-13 15:12:33

Ok, a neighbour of ours clearly has mental health issues. I sympathise, and always thought she was harmless but a few months ago she caused a row in the street (really with my mother, who she thought was looking at her funny) and was effing and blinding in public, accusing me of all sorts of vile and untrue things. She used my dds name and it shook me up. Mum phones the police and they came straight out to be fair, told us neighbour was known to them, not a lot they could do.

Fast forward to last week. Another neighbour witnessed her walking around with a claw hammer in an agitated way. She phoned the police who apprehended her. When she was picked up she had knives and blades concealed in her underwear. She was sectioned.

Within three days she was back on the streets aggressively accosting passers by accussing them of being liars and followers of satan. Clearly she is a danger to herself and others so why is she allowed to live alone and not be monitored? I genuinely fear seeing her out and about and I am not the only one I know. Is it unreasonable to want her supervised? Not locked up, but just someone making sure she took her meds would be something.

Casmama Sun 16-Jun-13 15:52:35

72 hrs for an emergency section see here

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 15:53:37

If you and the other neighbor are telling each other, and I suspect other people, that she's been sectioned, then yes, you are gossiping.

Dawndonna Sun 16-Jun-13 15:55:16

Keep calling the police, they get so hacked off hanging on to her until they can find a responsible adult that they get arsy with the mental health team and things start to move.
Feel sorry for the poor woman, out there, frightened and with no support. Start ringing mental health services on Monday too. There should be a community psychiatric team that you can call, they will be the people dealing with her whilst she is at home.

BaconKetchup Sun 16-Jun-13 15:57:11

Wouldn't you "gossip" about someone you felt was a serious danger to themselves and everyone around them, *SirBoobAlot"?

BaconKetchup Sun 16-Jun-13 15:57:22

woops, SirBoobAlot

Sparklymommy Sun 16-Jun-13 15:57:42

Thank you, it's so hard because although its clear that she's got issues she can come across as perfectly reasonable. When my mother phoned the police a few months ago she had been loudly accusing us of all sorts, shouting vile (impossible) things at us. As soon as the police arrived she managed to compose herself and was all sweetness and light (whilst telling them they should be arresting me for raping her?!?!? I am a mother of four children and it was 10 am in a residential street!). Luckily the police were already aware of her, and they were sympathetic to me (I was a tearful wreck, she had been shouting in the street that I abuse my baby. I don't, but it only takes one person to take her seriously and then I'd be under investigation and my child could be put under all sorts of unnecessary and intrusive tests).

I used to feel really sorry for her. And I still sympathise, I know she is ill, and if she took her meds she would probably be fine, but she scares me.

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 15:58:40

No. I'd be hoping the system would work for them, and hoping that whatever illness she was suffering from would be treated.

BeauNidle Sun 16-Jun-13 16:01:02

Different sections. Staringt with nurse holding power of 6 hours and then it can go up from there. The section times are the maximum section times, but the people can be released from section at any time within that timescale iyswim

ChestyNut Sun 16-Jun-13 16:02:55

Section 4 of the mental health act is for 72 hours in an emergency to allow for initial assessment.

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 16:03:31

And I still sympathise, I know she is ill, and if she took her meds she would probably be fine, but she scares me.

I think that the fact she is scaring you is really important that you keep calling also phone Social services adult team as somebody else suggested the mental health unit but Adult social services would be a start ,

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Sun 16-Jun-13 16:03:56

Yeah I agree with sirboob. Its one thing to report to the appropriate people and its another to discuss the ins and outs of it or information that shouldn't be shared (aka gossiping).

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 16:04:15

oh and thanks for clearing up the sectioning I really wasn't sure or aware they could be kept for just 72 hours

ihearsounds Sun 16-Jun-13 16:06:23

MH is n't just as simple as taking your meds and everything will be fine. Even with regular meds, you can still have 'off' days.

All you can do is keep calling police/ss.

Alas, Mh is greatly underfunded, and with the latest cuts this will worsen.

TheRealFellatio Sun 16-Jun-13 16:08:36

Look it doesn't matter whether she was, or was not sectioned, the OP has seen her ranting, incoherent, threatening, and walking around with an offensive weapon in her hand. And whether it is gossip or not, she has heard that the woman is wandering around with concealed blades in her clothes. Splitting hairs and trying to trip her up on semantics and technicalities smacks of fiddling while Rome burns.

Sparkly keep calling the police, SS, your local GP if you think she might be registered there, and anyone else you can think of, and document everything worrying/scary that she says and does. If you can film her (discreetly, without humiliating her, and without placing yourself in danger) then do that too.

If she gets worse and it appears that no action is taken go to your MP. 'Care' in the community is a bloody farce and fails the dangerously mentally ill and the people who live around them.

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 16:08:54

you know what we have a man in our street he is an alcoholic and most of the time he is an absolute arsehole he shouts he swears and he threatens people and speaks inapropriatly (sp) to women and young girls mine included the filth that comes out of his mouth is not only disgusting but he scares people,( and yes I have called the police on him )
so yes the neighbours gossip about him he is a bloody nightmare when he is on a bende
r so talking about something on your street is actually quite normal so maybe they did gossip about this woman a little too much but she is dangerous and needs help

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 16:11:04

And actually your comment of 'if she took her meds she would probably be fine' is even worse than walking around telling people she's been sectioned. How many people have you said that to, apart from an entire internet forum? Mental illnesses aren't just all treated by popping a few pills every day.

Sparklymommy Sun 16-Jun-13 16:12:27

"Off days" are to be expected. She is like this constant and getting worse all the time. Gossip isn't what I would call it. One neighbour mentioning an episode to another is not gossip. It is concern for a neighbour. It wasn't malicious, just said in passing conversation.

mrsjay Sun 16-Jun-13 16:13:52

* It is concern for a neighbour. It wasn't malicious, just said in passing conversation.*

you are right it wasn't gossip at all.

Sparklymommy Sun 16-Jun-13 16:17:43

Being made aware of potentially dangerous episodes is important. I am genuinely worried about this lady. I do not want to see her hurt herself or anyone else. I want to see her helped. And treated efficiently so she is no longer a danger. To herself or others.

GiddyStars Sun 16-Jun-13 16:22:09

As everyone has said, it depends which MH act she was sectioned under as to how long she was kept in.

Unfortunately every part of the MH framework in under massive strain and if you are seriously concerned about her own safety and the safety of others you need to report report report and make clear your concerns of physical harm to herself / others wrt the carrying of weapons etc.

If she is assessed as being 'ok' to be at home she may well be having visits from the community mental health team. Maybe these need to be upped to more frequent visits but don't assume that any reports made to the police or other services are necessarily making their way back to her support workers. Effective joined up working between various services doesn't always work as well as it should.

Might be worth flagging it up next time you speak to the police...'by the way does Mrs X have a community mental health nurse who these concerns of violence and threatening behaviour are being passed onto in case she needs a referral / review of her well being by more senior medical professionals'.

Other than that just keep an eye out. It's very sad and worrying.

GiddyStars Sun 16-Jun-13 16:22:59

It isn't gossip, you are doing the responsible thing.

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 16:23:31

"X was quite ill, so I called the police. I hope she's okay." - Neighborly concern.

"X was quite ill, so I called the police. She's been sectioned, you know. If she just took her meds, she'd be fine, I'm sure." - Gossiping.

There's a difference.

Idrinksquash Sun 16-Jun-13 16:24:01

Mental illnesses aren't cured by popping a few pills y'know.

IgnatiusSprat Sun 16-Jun-13 16:25:39

People with mental health problems are failed in this country, day in day out. My MIL was mentally ill and sectioned many times, most privately at enormous expense to my FIL. She wasn't a danger to anyone else, just herself, so no one gave a shit. She od'd on Tramadol a couple of years ago and was picked up wandering around naked at 5 in the morning on a busy road, taken to hospital, and discharged six hours later. My DH called the hospital that day because she didn't know who he was, kept insisting that the FBI had put a tape in her brain telling her to kill herself, refused to get dressed and kept singing God Save the Queen. They told him there was nothing they could do. She went on like this for a fortnight until FIL managed to borrow £20,000 against their house and had her put in a private hospital for ten days. TEN DAYS. He couldn't afford any more than that and six months later she killed herself.

Care in the Community is a meaningless phrase. There is no care. There's nothing. Nobody gives a fuck. If MIL hadn't had a family she'd have ended up just like the woman the Op is talking about. As it is her illness destroyed herself and her family.

MummytoKatie Sun 16-Jun-13 16:29:14

I discuss with my neighbours the road near us with a 30 limit and a sweet shop and a primary school where cars like to travel at 60 mph.

Is it gossip or is it passing on information needed to help keep our children safe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now