Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

... To tell my neighbours?

(55 Posts)
WhoNickedMyName Sun 16-Jun-13 12:47:57

We've lived in our house for 4 years and in all the time we've lived here I go outside to smoke, round the side of the house where my DH has built me a little smoking shelter grin.

Last week, during that little burst of lovely weather, my neighbour knocked to ask me to stop smoking round the side of the house, as their conservatory and back bedroom smelled strongly of cigarettes. I was a bit hmm that this had never been a problem before, and smoke from my 3 cigarettes a day was floating across our two gardens (there is probably about 20 metres between our houses) and making its way into their house but agreed that unless it was raining, I'd go to the bottom of our garden for a cigarette in future.

I've just been hanging washing out. The neighbours car isn't there so I presume they're out somewhere. As I walked down the side of my house I could see their daughter through the gaps in the fence, standing at the side of their house, puffing away. She is about 12/13 years old. Their conservatory windows are open. She is no more than a couple of metres away. This is clearly what's causing their house to smell.

Whilst I don't want to drop her in it, I don't want my neighbours to think I've ignored their request, and if it were my DS I'd want to know.

Would you tell them?

WhoNickedMyName Sun 16-Jun-13 18:13:06

Kit me too - started at 15 and wish I never had. I've stopped a couple of times but always restarted again. I'm down from 10 a day to 3 a day but just can't quit.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 18:18:40

Glad you told them! Great result for you grin

Cheers wine

MrsLouisTheroux Sun 16-Jun-13 18:34:57

Ah good for you ( and them, they sound nice) wine cheers!

BoundandRebound Sun 16-Jun-13 18:40:23

So glad you didn't take a picture, if it was me I'd have found that really creepy

Kooza Sun 16-Jun-13 19:15:38

Aw, poor them. They sound like lovely neighbours and you must have handled it really nicely for it to end on a friendly note. smile

My DD is approaching 9 and I can see the attitude brewing already. Teenagers are tough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now