Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to want a near-death experience?

(30 Posts)
DriftingThroughLife Sun 16-Jun-13 06:23:12

Morning MN,

I know this AIBU is odd and I promis I'm not insane but for the past 2 years or so I've been feeling like I'm floating through my life, not really living - just existing. I don't think I'm depressed because objectively I have nothing to be depressed about. It's more like this curious detached feeling from the world, it is so surreal I don't think I can put it into words, I just feel like I'm not part of the living breathing world anymore. Like my 'body' is going through the motions of life as usual but 'I' am not there....does that even make sense? haha smile

WIBU to want a near-death experience to make me feel truly alive again and to bring my 'body' and 'me' in sync and together again? I feel that a near-death experience will make me grateful for this gift of life that I have and I will start to live again.

Gosh, it sounds quite mad reading this to myself.

specialsubject Sun 16-Jun-13 18:04:57

find a different doctor and get a checkup and a mental health referral.

trying to kill yourself to see what happens can be an end to all your problems - and not in the way you want. Please don't do this to your family.

no shame in being ill. Good luck with your treatment.

VitoCorleone Italy Sun 16-Jun-13 18:06:15

I used to feel the same way OP, doctor diagnosed me with depression, ive been on antidepressants for 4 month now and i feel like i have a new lease of life, im actually interested in things again and want to live life instead of just floating about and existing day after day.

I also took up exercise and i think thats helped alot too, it makes me feel great!

DriftingThroughLife Sun 16-Jun-13 21:50:14

Thank you all for your kind words and advice, I have spent today reading up on depression and what helps it. I shall be ringing the GP's first thing tomorrow.

oopsadaisymaisy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:56:52

Hi op, please don't be worried about anti depressants, I was on them for a year. You feel absolutely normal when you take them but more capable of dealing with life. Please do ask for a different gp. Good luck.

rundontwalk Sun 16-Jun-13 21:59:31

If you Google 'gg get' it takes you to an interesting self help site. Would still recommend you see a Dr,but it might help focus your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now