AIBU to think all clocks with a ticking sound should be banned if not burnt...and recycled into a sleepy human friendly version!

(48 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sun 16-Jun-13 03:14:18

I don't find it soothing in the slightest and yet some people choose to have them?!

McNewPants2013 Sun 16-Jun-13 16:48:07

Yanbu the only clocks I have is digital, I feel like Captain Hook when it comes to ticking clocks.

Steffanoid Sun 16-Jun-13 16:50:51

my dad is an antiquarian horologist so all my life I've been around clocks ticking, a room is too quiet now without one, my parents house has them literally everywhere and even after him dying last year they're still wound up,
the only annoying thing about the house was when they were set to chime at different times, never know the time of day grin

ParadiseChick Sun 16-Jun-13 16:51:21

I hate clocks full stop. I don't need a constant reminder of the passing of time!

Naoko Sun 16-Jun-13 17:13:55

I hate ticking clocks. Hate them. I got up at 5am the other week to move DP's new watch that he'd been given as a freebie at some business thing into another room because I could hear it ticking from my side of the bat and it was driving me batshit insane. There is only one other non-digital clock in this house, it's a family piece, it doesn't work and I'm not having it fixed. It's very decorative but if I want to know the time I'll check a digital clock.

Naoko Sun 16-Jun-13 17:14:16

*my side of the bed

anewyear Sun 16-Jun-13 17:28:33

Never had a problem with Ticking clocks until i went into hospital to give birth to my son,
We spent 8 days in SCBU and the last couple of days spent in a room off scubu (son had Jaundice quite badly and the nurses wanted to make sure he was feeding well, and his bilirubin<sp> levels were going down)
There was a clock on the wall that really had a LOUD tick, and that has put me off ticking clocks for life, cant stand the sound of them now.

Nokidshere Sun 16-Jun-13 17:37:10

YABU I have 25 ticking clocks right here above my desk some are very very slightly out of sync but that just makes it more soothing. One is a cuckoo clock and one makes various bird noises on the hour (set a few minutes apart so they dont go off together lol.

I have another 10-15 ticking clocks around the house, some upstairs and i find them very soothing. My children cant sleep with them though so dont have one in their rooms, and the main bedroom has a digital because whilst DH isn't bothered about the ticking when he is up and about he cant sleep with it.

Anyone has a clock they don't want, pass them to me please grin

amazingmumof6 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:42:42

great cartoon Hecsy!

amazingmumof6 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:45:30

love cuckoo clocks!

thanks for the reminder, buying one is going on my bucket list! wink

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 16-Jun-13 19:51:22

Thanks.

It's a fairly accurate representation grin

Nokidshere Sun 16-Jun-13 20:43:14

http://www.nielsenhouse.co.uk/shop/qlocktwo

http://www.carbondesign.com/repurposing-an-icon-introducing-carbons-domino-clock

I have plenty of ticking clocks right now but want more chiming ones. However I am not averse to modern and want both of the two linked above.... The domino one isn't in production yet and the other is on my lottery wish list. grin

Nokidshere Sun 16-Jun-13 20:44:40

www.nielsenhouse.co.uk/shop/qlocktwo

www.carbondesign.com/repurposing-an-icon-introducing-carbons-domino-clock

I have plenty of ticking clocks right now but want more chiming ones. However I am not averse to modern and want both of the two linked above.... The domino one isn't in production yet and the other is on my lottery wish list.

helenthemadex Sun 16-Jun-13 20:51:02

I dont like ticking clocks I feel like Im listening to my life ticking away blush

2rebecca Sun 16-Jun-13 21:22:22

I hate them and also hate digital bedside clocks with bright red display, I have a nice Pure one with a display that automatically dims when it gets darker.

2rebecca Sun 16-Jun-13 21:23:06

I don't mind ticking clocks downstairs, just dislike them when I'm trying to get to sleep.

YANBU. I hate ticking clocks. I hate clocks in general actually. I recently bought my first one, a stylistic choice for the playroom. DS has a nautical one in his room but we took the batteries out. I couldn't sleep

Oops posted too soon. I couldn't sleep in the same room as one. They remind me of death.

nannynick Sun 16-Jun-13 21:35:52

YANBU I find it very hard to sleep if there is a clicking clock in the room. Clock/timer on heaters are just as bad. Mind you I am a bad sleeper and find any noise at all is disturbing.

CalamityJ Sun 16-Jun-13 22:12:35

Sorry OP. I love a ticking clock in my bedroom to listen to when I'm trying to get to sleep. When I was a kid friends who stayed over always made me take the batteries out because my bedroom clock ticked so loudly. YABU.

Not read the whole thread but I fucking hate ticking clocks. I can hear my whole life seeping away. I ave to shut them in drawers, put them outside the window, take the batteries out. You are so NBU

I love love LOVE that Domino Clock, Nokidshere

I've put it on my Bucket List!

I like a nice subdued tick, but loud ones are horrendous, especially in a quiet room. You can hear your life going past, little slices of time you'll never get back sad

decaffwithcream Mon 17-Jun-13 00:36:49

Had to get rid of the clock in DS room as it was incredibly loud through the baby monitor.

decaffwithcream Mon 17-Jun-13 00:37:58

And when I bought him another one I took a battery to ikea and inserted it in the display one to check if it ticked loudly before we purchased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now