to be really disappointed after visiting worthing today? (say yes!)

(143 Posts)
TooMuchRain Sat 15-Jun-13 22:08:19

In September we will be moving to near Brighton (can't afford actual Brighton unfortunately) and I was getting quite excited about Worthing until we went to visit today... it just felt a bit run down and I couldn't see what we would do there - no independent cinema, not much by way of watersports and stupid things like we couldn't find a naice cafe in west worthing (where we were house-hunting)

So, can you tell me if IABU and we stupidly missed the great bits or if I am looking at the wrong town??

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 13:03:25

looooooooool - i know those bungalows - hehehehehe

love live round harmsworth crescent. Although I have a friend who used to live in one of the bungalows and I might have loved a bit on her sofa after a particularly heavy night out

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 13:01:42

i know it well...so i am speaking from bitter experience

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 13:00:46

lol harmsworth crescent yes...say no more..

Parts of it aren't the best, but parts of it are fine. Lots of lovely big houses on hangleton road/way, very little trouble. I wouldn't choose to love round harmsworth crescent but I'd be happy a mile down the road. Much like anywhere really. Silly to write off an entire area because it has a council less desirable area.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 21-Jun-13 12:21:22

Thanks all.

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 12:06:11

yeh Portslade is OK, but Hangleton is not, sorry.

No, they aren't great. But they aren't bad either.

cantspel Fri 21-Jun-13 11:47:24

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief

Lovely brand new play area at Bull park. Ideal for younger children.

The soft play like on Stoke Abbott Road is good with areas for little ones and plenty of slides, ball pits foam cubes etc. Can get very busy during school holidays but nice and quite for preschoolers during term time.

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 11:46:14

well I lived in Hangleton for six years and Portslade for two.....and no they are not great, sorry if that makes me a vile snob.

PLAY is fine. It's a soft play...the cafe serves foul coffee and it's separate from the soft play room so you can't have a drink while watching them play.

Fucking hell there is a lot of snobbery about hangleton and portslade. I've lived in portslade and it's no better or worse than any residential area of any town anywhere. No it doesn't have chi chi cafes or boutique shops but I don't really give a fuck. It's safe enough, schools are fine, near the sea, easy access to centre/A27. What's wrong with that? Same with hangleton.

burberryqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 11:38:34

Someone else suggested Hangleton: don't do it. Hangleton is what death is like
100 per cent agree - give Hangleton and Portslade a v wide berth

NonnoMum Fri 21-Jun-13 11:34:00

The new swimming pool was opened yesterday by Ellie Simmons. The 'leisure pool' is great for young children. The soft play (P.L.A.Y) is OK if you like soft play...
The Waterwise Children's park on West Worthing Seafront is always busy in good weather. Highdown Gardens is gorgeous for a picnic.

Go to Ferring instead. The cafe on the beach is lovely. No don't actually... as the beach is nice and quiet at the moment!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 21-Jun-13 11:16:45

Worthingers- if any of you are still reading this thread, what's the new swimming pool like- is there a shallow/splash pool for toddlers? Also, what's the soft play like on Stoke Abbott Road. ANy other hints for good parks/ playgrounds with a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old?

Goldenbear I moved to north lancing 3 years ago for that reason. I never regretted it. You can buy a decent 3 bedroom house for well under £200k, the primary schools are good and my house backs on to fields. I rent, and I have a 3 bed house with a huge living room, garden and driveway for less than I paid for a 2 bed flat in portslade.

frutilla Fri 21-Jun-13 01:37:54

YABU I love Worthing. Am a Londoner, but lived there for a short while in my twenties. Love the Dome Cinema and the Connaught Corner House, it has a good library and renowned theatre. Would consider moving there again as it's a good place for kids to grow up.

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 01:34:04

My DP wants us to move to Worthing as we are currently in Brighton but can afford to buy a house here, mostly because I'm a SAHM. I'm not really convinced by the area snymore, i'm growing to despise Brighton. I live near Preston Park station and my son goes to a school that is very hard to get into but I just find the whole place overrated, overpriced and pretentious.

I moved to Brighton 10 years ago and we brought up our son on the Hove/Brighton border but it did seem to live up to the whole 'London by the Sea' thing then. I just has this south coast depressing, shoddy town vibe going on now. To me the value isn't there anymore and my DP who is an Architect feels the houses in Brighton are being overvalued - at the end of the day it is still an hour's commute to London. The property prices are hugely inflated and not sustainable this is why pe

springtide Fri 21-Jun-13 00:36:58

...forgot Green Cuisine - fantastic cafe in West Worthing. Check out their website - has its own book group, kids arts and crafts, and cooking, etc. For more positive things sign up to the Sunny Worthing Facebook page.

springtide Fri 21-Jun-13 00:04:49

Glass of wine on the beach at Coast
Dog walk from Goring Gap for breakfast at Bluebird Cafe
Plenty of youth groups/scouts etc for those that look
Splashpoint Leisure Centre
West Worthing Squash and Tennis Club - friendly and welcoming for adults and children
Ok there are some tatty areas but look beyond that and you may be pleasantly surprised. We moved here 15 years ago from London. A town is only what you make it - sit round moaning and it will be dull and your kids will be bored. Get involved,, be positive and enjoy what is on offer.
Ps in Brighton today - the streets were filthy and I witnessed an extremely agressive arguement between two drivers - happy to return home to our sleepy town!

Helenagrace Mon 17-Jun-13 17:55:51

We moved to West Worthing six months ago. There are loads of family friendly cafes and events.

The town centre is grim - but I rarely go there. West Worthing and Goring have fantastic local shops.

There's plenty of water sports and culture. Last night we listened to a Worthing orchestra - £3 for a child ticket! There's an art trail round local artists' houses next weekend. There are several theatres and independent cinemas.

It's flat and easy to cycle, public transport is easy, the beach is never crowded, schools on the whole are good, the town has so much going for it.

We even have a boutique bakery ... whatever that is grin

TooMuchRain Mon 17-Jun-13 17:07:10

Souunds perfect, thanks Kinnane!

Kinnane Mon 17-Jun-13 09:39:48

OP, Denton Lounge (overlooking the beach) for sitting outside while you work smile - overlooking the beach.

tankflybosswalkjamnittygritty Mon 17-Jun-13 08:08:27

Patcham here and it is lovely.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 17-Jun-13 00:09:55

Actually, reading this thread has made me reassess Worthing. There are probably not that many towns of 100,000 people that have the amenities Worthing has. I'm coming back to stay with my parents in a few weeks and this thread has given me some good ideas.

You can't compare Brighton with Worthing, in the same way that you can't say "Brighton's so shit because it's not as good as London". A lot of the little towns in the area are "lovelier" but dont have the amenities.

MikeOxard I wanna believe you about Teville Gate, I really do!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now