To be really pissed off with MIL?

(76 Posts)
RinseAndRepeat Sat 15-Jun-13 21:30:16

At a party. MIL has been drinking. We tell her the name we've chosen for our baby if it's a girl. MIL turns to DP and says "oh, I don't like that".

I wanted to tell her to fuck off.

I know everyone's going to have an opinion and I know mine and DP's are the only ones at count. But I think she could've kept her mouth shut really.

Yonididnaedaethat Sat 15-Jun-13 21:32:01

My mum says that kind of thing without a drink grin. Hates the name I've chosen so that makes me more determined to use it.

Yanbu smile

ParsleyTheLioness Sat 15-Jun-13 21:32:28

She could. YANBU

AndHarry Sat 15-Jun-13 21:33:01

She could have done but no one ever does. Names suggested before the baby's born are pretty fair game. Once the baby is here and named the only acceptable response is "How lovely" or flattering variation thereof. Unless the name is Slithery.

frissonpink Sat 15-Jun-13 21:33:31

Tell her, well you had your turn naming your kids, this is my child, my turn.

Standard MIL behaviour in my experience grin

YANBU

jkklpu Sat 15-Jun-13 21:34:01

Sorry for you but really don't tell anyone your baby names until your baby is there: it's asking for trouble.

HollyBerryBush Sat 15-Jun-13 21:36:33

Depends what it is - sorry but Agatha Gladys and she might have a point grin

Baby names - I do love a good baby name thread. It firmly puts people in socio-economic classes grin

RinseAndRepeat Sat 15-Jun-13 21:36:50

I'm not precious about people knowing the name beforehand. I've well and truly made up my mind so that's that.

It's not so much that I care whether she likes it or not. I just can't believe she thought it was okay to be so rude about it in front of me.

RinseAndRepeat Sat 15-Jun-13 21:37:51

It's Beatrix btw. (No idea if it is a girl though. If it's a boy I'm stumped!).

Whitamakafullo Sat 15-Jun-13 21:38:24

Agree with jkklpu - we learned that when having DS. We told everyone the name beforehand and nearly everyone had an opinion.

When pregnant with DD we told no -one,and when she was born nobody said a thing other than the usual pleasantries. Lesson learned grin

TidyDancer Sat 15-Jun-13 21:38:47

You shouldn't have told her.

Prior to the birth, I think opinions are okay tbh. Post-birth, I wouldn't say anything.

Unless it truly was a shit name and then I think it's your moral duty to say something whenever possible!

Euphemia Sat 15-Jun-13 21:39:36

Beatrix is lovely! Sod MIL, silly old moo. Does she have a DD?

Pinkflipflop Sat 15-Jun-13 21:40:01

NEVER tell anyone potential baby names!

PoppyWearer Sat 15-Jun-13 21:40:37

Beatrix is lovely, MIL is rude.

Gomez Sat 15-Jun-13 21:42:14

My mum tried to persuade me to change DD1s name when she came to see me in hospital the day after having her. That's proper mad. smile

She was sober btw. grin

NumTumDeDum Sat 15-Jun-13 21:43:46

I had this with dsis.
Dsis: have you thought of a name?
Me: babynumtum
Dsis: what are the other choices?
Me: there aren't any other choices.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 15-Jun-13 21:44:06

If you think your MIL will be the first person to say such a thing prior to you having your baby you are mistaken.

It isn't that rude. It's her opinion,she doesn't have to like the name. She might have to get used it though.

HollyBerryBush Sat 15-Jun-13 21:44:10

I like Beatrix - you have my permission grin

unless of course your surname is Potter in which case your MIL is quite right

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 15-Jun-13 21:49:06

I would never be so rude myself, but this is what tends to happen when you offer up the name, pre-birth.

We didn't tell a soul before either of our children were born for this exact reason.

Stop telling people; there is no name that is universally liked by all, so if negative reactions are going to upset you, you need to keep it to yourself. smile

FirstStopCafe Sat 15-Jun-13 21:51:12

She's rude and Beatrix is a lovely name

Hassled Sat 15-Jun-13 21:53:10

My late grandmother said "whatever you call your DD, don't call her X". We called her X. She got over it.

Ignore - when she meets the baby she'll forget whatever negative associations she had with the name. And Beatrix is lovely.

Greydog Sat 15-Jun-13 21:54:15

I told everyone I was going to call my son Brunel (after the railway builder) They were so stunned they didn't bother me again. (I didn't call him that BTW!)

trackies Sat 15-Jun-13 21:55:02

My said the same without being drunk. She's got used to DD's name now. But I told her that's what we're calling her as that's the only name DP and I could agree on

babyhmummy01 Sat 15-Jun-13 21:55:59

Rinse that is a gorgeous name!! Sod what your MIL thinks - everyone will have an opinion, ignore them all. All that matters is that you and DP love it!

We were also stumped for boys, good job that we found out we are having a girl!

trackies Sat 15-Jun-13 21:56:05

My Mum didn't like DS name. I just ignored her. Love my mum loads though. But ignore her opinion when necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now