Do all parents think their children are bright?

(158 Posts)
TooHotToFuss Fri 14-Jun-13 23:14:01

I think it seems to be too generally applied... AIBU? That really. We were discussing the low expectations news in our staffroom today, and agreed this word is almost so overused it can be meaningless.

Do you ever hear it or use it?

MsVestibule Fri 14-Jun-13 23:17:45

One of my DCs is quite bright when compared to his peers, the other one fairly average. Don't think I'm biased, just an observation. But I do try not to broadcast this 'fact' to the other parents in the nursery playground wink.

HTH.

Selba Fri 14-Jun-13 23:18:09

Yes agree, massively overused .

A friend of mine alway says his son is thick ! That's pretty rare to hear !

MortifiedAdams Fri 14-Jun-13 23:19:31

Other people tell me dd is bright but I have no other kids to compare her too (she is only 18mo), and I just think other people are just making conversation. DH thinks she is fricking Einstein.

MortifiedAdams Fri 14-Jun-13 23:20:01

to not too

TheSecondComing Fri 14-Jun-13 23:20:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShoeWhore Fri 14-Jun-13 23:20:41

Not in my experience no.

I've got one kind of just above average, one who I think might be very bright, one whose SN are making it hard to tell. All I want for all of them is that they fulfil their potential.

I happen to think my DD is quite bright, but I have no idea if I'm right really. She's 2.5 and I'm not going to start listing things she does as people will think I'm a twat. I'm sure it is overused though.

Apileofballyhoo Fri 14-Jun-13 23:22:43

DH always says DS is 'dim but nice', mainly to wind me up! I worry that maybe DS isn't that bright but I have no idea really, he seems to be getting on fine. I'm hoping he will be happy as I think that's far more important.

ReallyTired Fri 14-Jun-13 23:23:34

nah! my kids are just better than everyone else's. They are the fruits of my loins, the love of my life, the sun shines out of their arse.. etc. etc. Ofcourse I am in no way biased...

How is it that their teachers (or anyone else in the universe ) don't love my children like I do...

ds1 is, dd and ds2...... not so much grin

Iaintdunnuffink Fri 14-Jun-13 23:32:58

It is very generally applied because it is a very general expression. It implies that there's something on and it's working well. This could be related to a measurable achievement, or not.

BridgetBidet Fri 14-Jun-13 23:33:23

I genuinely think all kids are bright in some way. Whether it be ability to make friends, maths, English, because they're witty. It don't necessarily think it's a bad thing that parents see the positive in their kids.

Must be difficult as a teacher to smile and no every time but surely it's better to see your kid in a positive light and pass this view of them on to themselves than it would be just to be indifferent.

My parents thought I was thick and told me that so I am a little bit biased I'm afraid.

acheekyvimto Fri 14-Jun-13 23:34:30

I have one bright child, who is not only academically bright but understands and asks question around her that are older than her age.

I have a quiet average child, does nothing outstanding and is just ordinary.

I have one that has mild learning difficulties and is somewhere on the ASD.

showtunesgirl Fri 14-Jun-13 23:34:45

It makes me think of Matilda, The Musical.

"My daddy says I'm a miracle". grin

FreyaSnow Fri 14-Jun-13 23:35:54

I think almost all children have the potential to get 5 GCSEs at C or above, and various issues are stopping them from reaching that.

I don't believe there is a great deal of difference in the innate ability to learn in most children.

dandydorset Fri 14-Jun-13 23:39:41

i know one of mine is never gonna be a brain surgeon he knows his strengths are in other areas

my other one is bright but is the laziest boy ive known

undecide with the other far to young

but all of them are the most handsome boys in the universe wink

lougle Fri 14-Jun-13 23:48:27

I have 3 bright DDs.

DD1 is bright but has a brain malformation. She's not silly, that's for certain. She has an amazing knack with people. She is cunning and reads situations. She has learning difficulties and goes to special school.

DD2 is bright. She can tell you about homophones and split digraphs and she can remember long passages. She has some language issues though and she is very literal in her thinking, amongst other things. Time will tell.

DD3 is bright. She's 4 and she has a way with people, she's physically able, she's inquisitive. She wants to know how zips work and how magnets keep things together. She puts her hand on my throat and asks me to swallow, because she's noticed that something moves. She talks about cars on the road and explores what would happen to the cars if honey/soap/chocolate/mud was on the road - all self initiated. She's exhausting grin

wigglesrock Fri 14-Jun-13 23:48:34

I always think bright is one of those general words - covers a multitude of sins smile , a bit like the word attractive.

I don't know how bright my kids are - two are at primary school and are grand. But they do have brilliant singing voiceswink

My mum thinks they shite icecream but she's a Nana!

raisah Fri 14-Jun-13 23:49:12

my dad always said I was thick so was surprised when I graduated. My db who was super bright didnt get his degree because he argued with his lecturer & didnt turn up for the exam.....now that was an extremely clever thing to do!

My df was heartbroken.

quesadilla Fri 14-Jun-13 23:51:29

I think my dd is bright but I think I am also conditioned to look for it as can't really be that objective so not really in a position to judge.
I think people probably do tend to have a natural bias towards seeing signs of intelligence in their own kids, yes.

SuperiorCat Fri 14-Jun-13 23:55:40

DS is clever in a technical way - computers / engineering / mechanics etc can fix anything, but is not academic and would struggle to read a wiring diagram / pass a test. He has ASD too so cannot read social situations and gets dismissed as rude / dim / naive.

DD has always been ahead of her peers academically, but is lazy so unless pushed, will not do well. Her organisational skills are poor and she is clumsy, so loses / forgets / breaks stuff all the bloody time.

I think parents probably see their offsprings strengths and focus on that believing that they are bright / gifted in that area.

schooldidi Fri 14-Jun-13 23:55:59

I think my dds are bright. School agrees with me about dd1 and are pushing her very hard as she "needs a lot of stretching". Dd2 is only 3 so she may well turn out to be average, but at the minute I think she's great.

A lot of parents are under the impression that their dcs are bright when they are fairly average really. I've had parents tell me at parents' evening s that they are amazed at how good their child is at Maths, when that child is quite a bit below average for their age. I suppose it's all relative, if you're really, really rubbish at something then average is much better than you so they must be bright.

DehydratingManiac Fri 14-Jun-13 23:57:16

They are all 'bright' though. I mean they make massive leaps from newborn vulnerability to toddler curiosity in mere months fgs. How can any parent not be in awe?

tabulahrasa Fri 14-Jun-13 23:57:44

I'd probably describe DD as bright...she's not gifted or anything, but she is in the top class for everything that's set by ability and is doing well and she started playing the flute this year as well and the teacher's moved forward her first assessment.

Basically she's just a nice wee all rounder.

DS has AS and struggles much more even though I think he's actually cleverer than the rest of us put together, lol. I wouldn't really describe him as bright though, if I was describing them both I mean.

I don't know that it's ever really come up in conversation to be used to describe them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now