Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this is not suitable for a raffle prize

(35 Posts)
DamnBamboo Fri 14-Jun-13 14:58:43

The donation of a voucher for X pounds off a course. This still means you have to spend at least Y on the course and in this instance Y is a lot more (at least double) X. Either way, it isn't a prize by my definition and what it is is free advertising for the woman running the course.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Woud you include this in a raffle?

(don't want to give details of donation so am being as vague as possible).

mummytime Sat 15-Jun-13 22:40:07

My DCs school has a "Tree of Good Fortune" where they display things like this, and days out, where people can buy them for less than the value, but you only end up with them if you are genuinely interested. For example not everyone wants to travel for over and hour to a local castle.

WafflyVersatile Sat 15-Jun-13 22:38:06

your prize sounds good, katy. people always seem to be wanting a bit of extra childcare.

as for the OP a prize you have to pay for is not a prize. she should give away whatever it is for 100% free or not bother her arse.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 15-Jun-13 22:37:05

KatyMac, I'd think that was a decent prize. It's something for nothing, you don't have to fork out to claim that prize. I'd use it anyway smile

meditrina Sat 15-Jun-13 22:35:54

Not suitable for a raffle, but would be OK for an auction.

Quite a lot of prizes at our school come fom parents who have businesses, and if it's a straight thing IYSWIM they'd be raffled. If it's something with strings attached (eg must be used on a particular date) then it's auctioned.

KatyMac Sat 15-Jun-13 22:29:49

I offered 2 days free holiday childcare as a raffle prize at school once - they didn't really like that either sad

I am a childminder btw so it wasn't a completely daft prize (iyswim)

DeWe Sat 15-Jun-13 22:27:37

You could auction it perhaps?

DeWe Sat 15-Jun-13 22:25:31

I got a £50 off replacement windows for your house in a raffle once. grin

I still have it, you can add that if you like. grin

Actually the dc were so excited to win, it didn't really matter what it was, they wouldn't have cared, so I didn't really mind.

prettybutclumpy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:42:28

YANBU! I was most unhappy at our PTA raffle when "prizes" like this were given out BEFORE the lovely handmade freshwater pearl and silver bracelet and earrings I had made.

Elquota Sat 15-Jun-13 20:39:45

YANBU. As others have said, that's not a prize.

greenfolder Fri 14-Jun-13 18:11:04

i have a close friend who is a very successful life coach (works with big companies etc). She offers raffle prizes of FREE places on her courses. They are perfect prizes, the courses are several hundred quid and people get enormous value out of them. they are completely self contained, but of course x percentage of people on them will book additional sessions. she gets great publicity because the courses are good; she is running the courses anyway so an additional person costs very little.

she would never offer a crappy discount voucher as a prize.

halcyondays Fri 14-Jun-13 18:08:47

Yanbu, it is not a prize.

hesterton Fri 14-Jun-13 17:49:52

Not on. If the person who won it can't afford it, it's a total bum prize. Prizes should be 100% of something. Very mean of donor.

mrsjay Fri 14-Jun-13 17:48:27

its like when folk put in those money off photo shoots or half price of beauty treatments they are just rubbish raffle prizes not as rubbish as office lamp though confused Yanbu I wouldnt put it in it is the donator touting for people for her courses

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Jun-13 17:45:50

BOGOF in a salon is equally crap. Your prize is the chance to spend money hmm. The ticket-holder is definitely not the winner in that situation.

QOD Fri 14-Jun-13 17:42:42

Snot suitable

HollyBerryBush Fri 14-Jun-13 17:38:38

I suppose it is a prize?

Say, hypothetically, you won a voucher for a BOGOF hairdo at a fancy joint, you'd get together with a mate, split the cost 50/50 and get a pukka hair do at half the price? I suppose it's a bit like groupon voucher thing.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Jun-13 16:44:48

Or ask them if they have a battered but unopened gift set instead grin

lougle Fri 14-Jun-13 16:28:16

Email and say that while you can't accept a money off voucher as a prize, the course itself would be a wonderful addition to the prize table grin

ShatnersBassoon Fri 14-Jun-13 16:25:53

I'd be really disappointed to win that. It's not a prize at all. I'd rather win a hip flask I did win a hip flask this week.

pictish Fri 14-Jun-13 16:23:45

That's not a prize, no. I wouldn't put it in.

MammaTJ Fri 14-Jun-13 16:19:50

Might be worth a thought to 'auction' it, either before or after the raffle!

That way, if anyone is thinking of doing a course anyway, they get a massive discount, the cause still gains and no one is disappointed by a crap raffle prize.

PatriciaHolm Fri 14-Jun-13 15:54:10

Nope. I run out PTA raffle and that wouldn't make it in grin

Yonihadtoask Fri 14-Jun-13 15:47:48

No. that's not a prize. That's a discount.

FeegleFion Fri 14-Jun-13 15:46:34

YANBU - that's a grabby 'donation', no matter the denomination.

I'd be right pissed off if I 'won' something like that instead of the single malt or yummy gourmet hamper

SybilRamkin Fri 14-Jun-13 15:43:32

YANBU, how cheeky to send that as a raffle prize!

OP, please report back if you get a response from her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now