to think that this is not suitable for a raffle prize

(35 Posts)
DamnBamboo Fri 14-Jun-13 14:58:43

The donation of a voucher for X pounds off a course. This still means you have to spend at least Y on the course and in this instance Y is a lot more (at least double) X. Either way, it isn't a prize by my definition and what it is is free advertising for the woman running the course.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Woud you include this in a raffle?

(don't want to give details of donation so am being as vague as possible).

greenfolder Fri 14-Jun-13 18:11:04

i have a close friend who is a very successful life coach (works with big companies etc). She offers raffle prizes of FREE places on her courses. They are perfect prizes, the courses are several hundred quid and people get enormous value out of them. they are completely self contained, but of course x percentage of people on them will book additional sessions. she gets great publicity because the courses are good; she is running the courses anyway so an additional person costs very little.

she would never offer a crappy discount voucher as a prize.

Elquota Sat 15-Jun-13 20:39:45

YANBU. As others have said, that's not a prize.

prettybutclumpy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:42:28

YANBU! I was most unhappy at our PTA raffle when "prizes" like this were given out BEFORE the lovely handmade freshwater pearl and silver bracelet and earrings I had made.

DeWe Sat 15-Jun-13 22:25:31

I got a £50 off replacement windows for your house in a raffle once. grin

I still have it, you can add that if you like. grin

Actually the dc were so excited to win, it didn't really matter what it was, they wouldn't have cared, so I didn't really mind.

DeWe Sat 15-Jun-13 22:27:37

You could auction it perhaps?

KatyMac Sat 15-Jun-13 22:29:49

I offered 2 days free holiday childcare as a raffle prize at school once - they didn't really like that either sad

I am a childminder btw so it wasn't a completely daft prize (iyswim)

meditrina Sat 15-Jun-13 22:35:54

Not suitable for a raffle, but would be OK for an auction.

Quite a lot of prizes at our school come fom parents who have businesses, and if it's a straight thing IYSWIM they'd be raffled. If it's something with strings attached (eg must be used on a particular date) then it's auctioned.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 15-Jun-13 22:37:05

KatyMac, I'd think that was a decent prize. It's something for nothing, you don't have to fork out to claim that prize. I'd use it anyway smile

WafflyVersatile Sat 15-Jun-13 22:38:06

your prize sounds good, katy. people always seem to be wanting a bit of extra childcare.

as for the OP a prize you have to pay for is not a prize. she should give away whatever it is for 100% free or not bother her arse.

mummytime Sat 15-Jun-13 22:40:07

My DCs school has a "Tree of Good Fortune" where they display things like this, and days out, where people can buy them for less than the value, but you only end up with them if you are genuinely interested. For example not everyone wants to travel for over and hour to a local castle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now