Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To GPS my cat and go and speak to the neighbour?

(151 Posts)
LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 14:12:15

I own a very large ginger Tom cat. He is supposed to be on a diet but comes home licking his lips and smelling of food. And also, often,
cigarette smoke grin
I bought a "cat nav" device for him (v small USB thing which attaches to his collar). I have used it three times now and downloaded the data and it shows him going into a house about 8 doors down and not moving for an hour.

AIBU to go and speak to them and ask them to stop feeding him? I wasn't planning on telling them about the GPS device... grin

Or would you leave it?

I am aware this post reads like I am a mad woman, btw. I promise I am sane. I just can't bear the patronising vet telling me he will get type 2 diabetes if he doesn't lost weight hmm

Ezza1 Fri 14-Jun-13 15:20:35

Hahahahaha grin One of my cats makes themselves at home in a neighbours house. She doesn't feed him, he just likes lounging about her house shock

She said to me that she didnt mind him coming in but did draw the line at him going upstairs, drinking from the toilet then sleeping on their freshly made beds. I was blush blush blush blush blush blush

The other cat knocks about outside KFC <classy>

I would never GPS them - the shame of what they get up to would be unbearable blush

Justfornowitwilldo Fri 14-Jun-13 15:22:43

You might want to add that your cat is obese and greedy to the letter too!

Ezza1 you need a camera on your cats.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 15:24:08

He's just come back with milk round his gob. angry

Justfornowitwilldo Fri 14-Jun-13 15:26:05

Send the letter and usin your spy kit wink keep him in at the times he goes to her.

FairPhyllis Fri 14-Jun-13 15:28:35

Uh oh - do we have the makings of another Catgate here?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 14-Jun-13 15:30:52

Send her the letter explaining that he is your cat, cats beg for food, that's what they do, and that your cat is fat greedy and at risk of diabetes. Perhaps include your bank details so she can electronically transfer her half of the vets fees/medication. Oh and remind her that cats are lactose intolerant and milk is v v bad for them. and get a camera for your cats collar as well as the gps

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 15:31:08

Oh god. I don't want to end up in classics.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jun-13 15:31:22

You need to go back and tell her you have just been to the vet who says he is dangerously overweight and needs to be put on a restricted diet.

Then laugh in a slightly embarrassed way and tell her that the vet also discovered he was infested with fleas and ticks and recommended you spray your home with Indorex spray or hire a professional fumigation company.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 15:33:46

Stick a label on his collar 'please do not feed me as I am on a special diet for being a great big fat cat.'

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 15:36:57

I like the vet idea. I'll look mental if I go back over there any time soon though won't I?

limitedperiodonly Fri 14-Jun-13 15:37:38

Did they get the police involved Mrsrisotto? I was following that thread but missed the end.

OP an ex friend did the same with her neighbour's cat. After polite requests they ended up going to get it and having a huge row with her DP. He was apologising because he'd kept telling her not to encourage it as well. During the confrontation she hid.

The neighbours were so angry that her DP made sure that he kicked the cat out every time she enticed it in.

She continued to insist they were ill-treating it. Bonkers.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 14-Jun-13 15:39:06

Actually that's a good idea - you know when he goes there - what could you coat your cat in before he goes?
Treacle?
Fox poo?

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jun-13 15:39:24

Give it a few days. More time for the phantom flea infestation to develop.

limitedperiodonly Fri 14-Jun-13 15:41:25

A neighbour's cat used to use our house as a shortcut -go through it to save walking round the block. It regarded us as servants.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 15:44:08

I can't think of anything I could coat him in that he wouldn't eat. He has no pride. sad

limitedperiodonly Fri 14-Jun-13 15:46:50

Yes, tell them it has fleas.

No phantom flea infestation about ours. It was an unfriendly cat but I used to think it was funny to let it through. I refused to let it in when I tried to stroke it and it scratched me. A week or so after it stopped coming in the fleas started biting me. It only ever used to spend the time it took to amble through the house.

bugsyburge Fri 14-Jun-13 15:47:19

ezza you're cats are hilarious!!!!! I've literally been creased up whilst sat at my desk stifling a laugh!!!

one of my cats is often seen in my neighbours house.... infact someone about 10 doors away once stopped me in the street to ask if said cat was mine because he keeps breaking into their house during the day (no catflap so no idea how!!!) & getting INTO their bed!!!! shock

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 15:49:28

My other (very nice) neighbour told me that she was doing an exercise DVD for the first time since having her DC and she turned around, feeling not-very-fit mid-way through the DVD and my cat was lounging on her sofa. She thought she was hallucinating/having a heart attack. She keeps her patio doors closed now.

msrisotto Fri 14-Jun-13 16:53:05

Hah, nothing like a cat silently judging you for being unfit. They're critical buggers.

limitedperiodonly Yup! They called the police who went round and sorted it out! Can't remember the details.

Hassled Fri 14-Jun-13 16:57:44

I like the sound of your cat. I particularly like the loungeing on the sofa - I can see him now, sipping a small gin, watching a bit of telly, just chilling.

Sallyingforth Fri 14-Jun-13 17:09:56

OP I don't understand this. You are a lawyer used to dealing with difficult situations, yet you were unable to speak with these people and can't send a simple letter to them.
Has the cat been chipped to prove your ownership?

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 17:13:24

Hassled grin I imagine him with a cigar.

Sally Blimey, I must be a rubbish lawyer. I can send a letter but wanted to do it in person then lost my nerve.

Sallyingforth Fri 14-Jun-13 17:15:28

smile

If the cat chipped?

SoupDragon Fri 14-Jun-13 17:15:43

Not quite the same, but my dog escaped from my garden into one of my rear neighbours, went in their house and woke them up by jumping on them whilst they were in bed.

And yet still they think he is adorable!

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 14-Jun-13 17:17:10

Yes, he is. I got him 18 months ago from RSPCA (he's 4). he's chipped with my name but used to be a stray.

Soup grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now