Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think nobody throws out lego.

(66 Posts)
glam71 Fri 14-Jun-13 13:38:31

Noticed on freecycle a request for any lego you are going to throw out. Trivial i know but really.

kim147 Fri 14-Jun-13 13:39:23

My Dad did. When I was 13. I was disappointed as I wanted to pass it on.

<Planning ahead a lot>

lljkk Netherlands Fri 14-Jun-13 13:39:57

Some MNers have admitted to vacuuming it up & tossing.

gymboywalton Fri 14-Jun-13 13:40:19

i requested lego on freecycle about 5 years ago and very kind and generous woman gave me a HUGE crate of it. there was everything -wheels and windows etc and bases -all sorts.
i could have cried she was so kind.

this has been one of my sons favourite things ever since.

noisytoys Fri 14-Jun-13 13:40:28

Why wouldn't people throw out Lego? Me DH and 2DDs live in a 1.5 bed flat with no storage. If our DCs had Lego they didn't play with we would throw it out.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 14-Jun-13 13:40:56

No never

but quite a bit goes up the Hoover and is under the sofa

Bluecarrot Fri 14-Jun-13 13:43:43

It's a classic non-faddy toy- I will likely keep my stuff from childhood to pass on to grand kids.

TheBigJessie Fri 14-Jun-13 13:43:48

noisytoys

THROW IT OUT? uwot?

I'll tell you why they wouldn't! There's poor children who'd be glad of that lego, I'll have you know!

There's limited landfill space, there's limited oil!

throckenholt Fri 14-Jun-13 13:44:50

I have vacuumed odd bits up - I admit it grin.

Nothing else ever gets thrown out. Some people sell it - at least DH managed to buy masses online so someone must sell it (just not in our household !)

5madthings Fri 14-Jun-13 13:46:36

God why would you throw it out? Give it to a charity shop or freecycle it if you cant be botjeted to sell it but dont throw it out!

AmberLeaf Fri 14-Jun-13 13:47:20

They dont mean throw it in the bin though do they?

They mean, is anyone got some they want shot of.

IWillDoItInAMinute Fri 14-Jun-13 13:49:50

No, but it is a fantasy of mine

<drowning under a tidal wave of small plastic pieces>

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 14-Jun-13 13:50:48

My mum is always finding small bags of it in charity shops. She's managed to build up a collection to rival Lego land in the last few years.

OhTheConfusion Fri 14-Jun-13 14:04:48

We have crates of the stuff confused but the DC 1 and 2 play with it most days. DD2 will play with it when she is older and then it will be put aside for visitors, grandchildren etc.

We have spent thousands blush of pounds on it over the years but we have had over a hundred thousand moments of fun.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 14-Jun-13 14:10:03

We've got tons of the stuff in a redundant chest in the living room. Our youngest is 12 and hasn't touched it for years but DH thinks we should keep it for grandkids - along with the other half ton of stuffin the loft.

I say let's assume we'll have the funds to buy them new toys as needed rather than clogging up precious space for twenty-odd years

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 14-Jun-13 14:11:12

I would think lots of people throw it out.

My kids have got a huge box full that they never touch. I would love to sling it out. grin

MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Fri 14-Jun-13 14:12:47

My mum car booted mine for £5 years back, there was masses of it and I was gutted as it meant I had to replace it all for dd a few years later.

jeee Fri 14-Jun-13 14:14:42

A couple of years ago a Mnetter was complaining about her MiL - who'd committed the cardinal sin of dumping all her Dh's old lego on them hmm

My The kids Lego is 50 years old already, it belonged to my uncle, then my sister and me, then my younger cousins, now my kids have it. And we won't be throwing it out, either!

owns enough Lego to sink a battleship

HormonalHousewife Fri 14-Jun-13 14:14:52

but its so expensive... why would you throw it out ?

give it away, ebay it, charity shop, hoover it up slowly over several weeks if need be but dont just bin it !

DiscoDonkey Fri 14-Jun-13 14:17:50

I wouldn't throw it out simply because it's still worth a lot of money second hand. Like Rue our has been handed down through 3 generations now so we will keep it (there's shit loads of it) and pass it on to future generations.

glam71 Fri 14-Jun-13 14:19:23

Yes i have vacuumed up some too.

Hoovered up the odd bits but i've still got lego from when I was a kid <blows dust off>

DeskPlanner Fri 14-Jun-13 14:20:19

I intend on keeping all the lego, duplo and Slyvanian families for the grandchildren who won't be born for at least 20 years.

Scholes34 Fri 14-Jun-13 14:20:40

I've kept all the Lego and Brio, plus some Playmobil sets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now