To think FB can be bloody brilliant!

(30 Posts)
BegoniaBampot Fri 14-Jun-13 09:02:15

Fed up with all the smug, snidey posts about people who use Fb as though it makes you superior if you don't use it.

This morning just had a great conversation from some friends and family from Australia, Asia and Far flung Part of UK all on the one thread and over a few minutes. Makes you feel we were all very close by and not thousands of miles away. Means I can keep in touch so easy and still be a small part of their lives and see what their kids are up to with pics etc. I can share interesting articles with them and share jokes.

So AIBU in thinking that FB can be bloody great as long as you or your friends aren't knobs? Maybe I am a knob (before someone jumps in), but in my mind I'm rather lovely and possibly deluded of course!

chrome100 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:33:44

I think it's great, I have so many more friends BECAUSE of it. If I meet someone in real life that I hit it off with, I befriend them on Facebook and keep in touch with them, invite them to stuff and lo and behold a friendship is born. Otherwise I'd never see them again. I think if you use it well it's a great tool. I have made tons of friends over the past few years this way.

chrome100 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:35:10

And yes, as in everyday life, some people are boring/show offs/repetitive. But unlike real life I can just hide them from my news feed!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 14-Jun-13 19:39:23

YANBU - if it wasn't for Facebook I would not have got back in contact with a really dear friend of mine (we are like family), I hadn't seen him in nearly 6 years. I felt like part of me was missing.
Then I saw his cousin pop up on a friends post, looked through his contacts and found my friend again.
And we are both so glad I hunted him down. We now have such a great relationship, and even better his partner is fabulous! Without facebook I wouldn't have either of them in my life. I am so lucky to have them!

WorraLiberty Fri 14-Jun-13 19:52:24

YANBU, if FB irritated me as much as it does some people I just wouldn't use it.

OP, have you thought about opening a FB group for your family members? It's quite easy to do and it means you all get to 'share a wall' and add pics/links/comments etc.

Sometimes it's easier than adding lots of tags and being concerned over other people's privacy settings. You can also make the group secret should you wish to...so only members can see what's posted.

redexpat Fri 14-Jun-13 19:54:46

It's bloody marvellous. Has been a useful tool for integrating me into a rural community in a foreign country. Also can buy and sell and swap stuff for free. People who complain about it generally dont know how to use it properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now