to think we should just get rid of surnames

(41 Posts)
kim147 Thu 13-Jun-13 20:47:29

It seems it would make life a lot easier.

Maybe it could be replaced with where you were born?

Kim of ........

Tee2072 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:30:36

FFS Holy, overreaction much?

My maiden name has nothing to do with my family origins or my forefathers' occupations. My father's best guess is a travelling salesman and a "woman of easy virtue" who took his name.

So what does that tell you? Other than that I had a prostitute for an ancestress.

amigababy Thu 13-Jun-13 21:30:41

I like the Icelandic system where you are ......sson or .......dottir, according to your father's (or mother's) first name and not a family surname

LessMissAbs Thu 13-Jun-13 21:31:57

Noooo OP I have a surname which is thought to date back to the Angles ie where my ancestors originally probably came from.

I've also noticed that certain surnames seem to carry certain common traits. e.g. you see some surnames appearing more often with successful athletes than you would otherwise think would be the case, and it is a strange phenomenon that certain surnames are more well represented in criminal convictions than others when you level out everything else.

HollyBerryBush Thu 13-Jun-13 21:35:49

Over reaction? I'm quite calm, thanks for the armchair psychology though.

There is a very old saying, you don't know where you are going unless you know who you are. My thing is history, just my quirk - but I read a lot, plus my little ASD streak grin Not being main land British, I do find the level of poor education astounding on a very basic level

kim147 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:38:09

holly

I am actually aware of where surnames come from. Honestly.

Lweji Thu 13-Jun-13 21:39:56

Surnames connect families.
There's a reason they exist.

Lots of surnames indicate the name of the father: Johnson, etc. The same occurs in loads of countries. Then there are other that continued, clearly as passed on nicknames, as professions, place of birth, etc.

In Spain, for example, they have two surnames and the very last surname belongs to the mother, not the father.
In Portugal, it's the other way around.

kim147 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:41:40

But I do find early language and social development interesting.

Like when did someone decide to call themselves a name.

LegoAcupuncture Thu 13-Jun-13 21:42:31

I think they should start given people names from the dictionary, alphabetically in the order they are born. Would save the surname and no name would be the same. Poor Bastard, Fuck and Twat though sad

bran Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Startail Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:35

DD2 would be fine.
Common first name of tiny village/house name.

DH and I with very common names born in big city hospitals would be in trouble.

Surnames exist so that teachers can tell the children with the same names apart.

There are 6 ... Yes 6 Harry's in my son's class.

I have posted on the other thread about surnames.

My DD went to school with her neice, but didn't know until the last two years.

I think that the father's name should be registered somewhere. We only found our relatives by accident. The system has changed for adopted children, thankfully (and unmarried father's).

When we didn't have surnames, incest was frowned upon (sometimes) but not illegal.

There is probably a fair bit of incest going on in some area's, where people carry on like something off Jeremy Kyle.

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 13-Jun-13 22:06:18

In Iceland, because so many people have such similar last names, many just go by their first names, apparently.

So leading on from this, a quick question (hope this doesn't side track the OP), would anyone mind being addressed by their first name by everyone, or would you find it over familiar?

amigababy Thu 13-Jun-13 22:09:40

We just got round to watching The Killing and I noticed a) they often used all 3 names where we would just use the first name and b) with men it was often just the surname - no Mr Hartmann, just Hartmann. Which I thought would sound abrupt to us.

GibberTheMonkey Thu 13-Jun-13 22:15:57

I would be fine with it though
I would prefer my full first name from strangers so
Stranger-Charlotte friend-Charlie
Or
Stranger-Georgiana friend-George

Brandnewbrighttomorrow Thu 13-Jun-13 22:16:43

I was quite taken aback at the dentists yesterday when an elderly lady in the waiting room was addressed by the dentist by her first name - it sounded most disrespectful to me. I'm getting more accustomed to being referred to as mrs brandnew and rather like it. Mind you I get offended if someone I don't know well shortens my first name so maybe I'm just fussy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now