To wish it wasn't "another brilliant report for my dc" season on Facebook?

(52 Posts)
IfIonlyhadsomesleep Thu 13-Jun-13 19:48:04

I know, 1) it's Facebook 2) people are right to be proud of their dc and 3) I don't have to look.
But I've just seen three accounts, one blow by blow, of how brilliantly their dc have done. One with accompanying picture of the cake baked as reward. I just would rather praise my own children, tell our nearest and dearest about their achievements and save Facebook for other aspects of life.

Nothing is private any more. Everything has to be photographed and shared with everyone.

LynetteScavo Thu 13-Jun-13 20:52:00

Do any school reports actually say a child is a pain in the butt who is under achieving? I doubt it.

I was always so proud that my DS was a lively member of the class, who provided a challenge for his teachers. wink Never posted of FB about it though.

formica5 Thu 13-Jun-13 20:53:30

I don't mind updates at all as all my family and friend use it as thier main means of communication. What I hate is SIL telling DH (probably sat next to her on the sofa) how much she loves him etc. Smacks of insecurity on her part,.

parabelle Thu 13-Jun-13 20:55:32

^If Ds2 gets a good report I will get it printed on a T-shirt, perhaps bunting and take an ad out in the local paper.
Fb will just be for starters.^

Me too with dd2, so not going to happen, was told at parents evening she's not hitting any of her targets. On the other hand, she did draw a lovely picture of a dinosaur today.

AnnaFiveTowns Thu 13-Jun-13 21:00:38

I agree OP, drives me crackers too.

Teachers aren't allowed to write horrible things about kids in school reports anymore (not like when I was young, the things they wrote were shocking) It all has to be positive - which is a good thing - but I wish parents would stop being so smug about it. All school reports now are "good", FFS!

But maybe I'm just a miserable old git.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 13-Jun-13 21:01:15

I am a teacher, and I never write a wholly negative report. One person's "brilliant" is another's "average".

cardibach Thu 13-Jun-13 21:01:54

Why do people feel that they can put this stuff on Facebook when they wouldn't dream of saying it to anyone?
Really cansu? You wouldn't dream of saying to anyone that you were proud of your DC's report? That is a bit odd.
We're back to the same thing I say on just about every facebook thread - it depends on who you have as friends. All my fb friends are actual friends or family who I care about. I care about their children, too, so I am pleased to see that they are doing well. If I had a load of randoms, I'd probably be irritated too. Most people aren't boasting (at least not in a bad way!) just pleased and proud and wanting to share that. It's nice.

A bit of maternal pride is harmless and I think it's actually really important for the dc to know their parents are publicly chuffed with them. My daughters are amazing people. Doesn't hurt anybody if occasionally I publicly say that.

Lizzylou Thu 13-Jun-13 21:44:45

Parabelle, Ds2 is the class clown who distracts everyone. He is in his own world most of the time.
Dh and I are torn between admiring his spirit and nonconformity and despairing that he will never apply himself.
Mostly the former really grin

Chunderella Thu 13-Jun-13 21:59:14

There is a middle ground between depressing and boastful facebook statuses, though. I can't be arsed with either.

BreathingLessons Thu 13-Jun-13 22:02:36

I'm with you OP. I want to comment "I'm scarle' for ya'

adverbial Thu 13-Jun-13 22:58:43

I'm with you too, OP. Bah to the facebook boasters (I don't like the whingers either).

Bah to Facebook most of all, it seems to encourage over-sharing.

Clawdy Thu 13-Jun-13 23:10:48

It's very annoying,and probably shows a bit of neediness in the parent! One friend put on her page: "My face is aching from smiling after all the lovely comments each teacher made about E. tonight!"

I live in another country to my relatives and still have lots of friends in the UK. Facebook is our way of keeping in touch and love seeing pictures and stories of them and their children, it gives us a connection to their lives and them to us.

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 08:57:15

I think it's hilarious.

I love it when people post that stuff, the more gushing the better.

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 08:57:39

Clawdy - that is just superb!

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 08:58:06

Also, they are all shooting themselves in the foot as it just makes everyone gnash their teeth and hate their child.

It's somewhat preferable to lovey dovey text speak statuses when couples living together are talking through Facebook hmm

Yes so in love they sit in silence networking grin

I ignore any I'm not interested in and I'm genuinely pleased for those with the fab reports. I must have boring friends because all I get is pictures of animals being posted. Actual words make a change grin

thebody Fri 14-Jun-13 09:16:06

Well think its funny especially the one friend of mine who has her profile pic as her baby and posts stuff like, ' I hope mummy doesn't keep me waiting for my milk'

Sooo funny, makes me laugh which is a lot better than crying.

LookingThroughTheFog Fri 14-Jun-13 09:17:20

I think it's OK to be proud of your children's achievements. I think the trick is to recognise your child's brilliance in whatever form it takes, and to share that with people.

DS has SEN. Personally, I like that I can say 'DS finally decoded the word 'was'!' and my friends know what a massive achievement that is, and view it equally with another friend who's daughter just got a really good GCSE at 14.

Basically children come with all sorts of different personalities and they'll have all sorts of achievements. I think it's OK to celebrate that.

Wallison Fri 14-Jun-13 09:24:53

Well, I like hearing about my friends' kids and what they're up to, especially the friends from school as we are all so scattered now (to the four winds, literally). And it's nice to see my friends happy about their kids and being all proud of them.

HibiscusIsland Fri 14-Jun-13 09:34:50

YANBU. It's the same as going up to a group of mums on the playground and saying "My Tarquin has done wonderfully. He is gifted and talented and got the top marks in the year in all subjects. So proud etc." I wouldn't do this if I did have a Tarquin. There might be people listening whose kids are struggling and it's boastful and smug. Same thing.

fromparistoberlin Fri 14-Jun-13 09:35:37

your FB friends are bell ends!

VinegarDrinker Fri 14-Jun-13 09:45:37

I'm in two minds. I really try and avoid anything vaguely boastful on FB because I am aware of not coming across as a total twat.

OTOH it is actually one of the main ways we share our news with our "nearest and dearest" - especially those we don't live close to, such as my Dad, Grandad, aunts and uncles.

I probably annoy some friends sometimes with the amount I mention/post pics of DS but I generally have a rule of "I'd rather make my 83 year old Grandad happy and annoy a couple of work friends".

I try and circumvent this a bit by having "lists" for certain status updates/photos but tbh it's easy enough for anyone to hide my updates if they are that annoying.

That's facebook!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now