To want to spend some of this money on myself ?

(77 Posts)
cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 18:33:07

I've just been lucky enough to come into a bit of money ( £2400). I've been out of work for the last 3 yrs and things have been tough. I'm keen to go back to college and the part time course I 'm looking at is about £600. I don't go anywhere or do anything apart from when I'm out with the kids because of money being tight. Dh has a gym membership which I've never complained about as he has suffered from depression on the past and exercise definitely helps his mood. With the rest of the money I wanted to get a week away somewhere and get some things done in the house. Told dh about college and he made a face and said he thinks I'm getting carried away and should hold on. I was raging earlier.....I'm basically a fucking hermit and do very little purely for myself. Am i being selfish to want to spend £600 on myself?

raisah Thu 13-Jun-13 21:34:19

Spend the money on YOUR PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT so that means:
College course (find out if you qualify for discounts)
I would get some careers advice as well
Driving lessons (if you can't drive already)
Good interview suit
If you spend on the house your Dh will benefit too do spend it on yourself instead.

Do find out if the course will lead to specific qualifications too, and look into similar options. You may find that doing a course in a specific type of massage first would be more beneficial in the short term with the view of doing more courses later smile

Mia4 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:58:06

YANBU, sounds like a good investment to educate however to play DA could your DH meaning 'wait and lets do the sums before we book X, Y and Z?' Which i could understand. Absolutely put your education first on the list and do it, but be sure not to overspend, when we aren't used to suddenly having a lot of cash it's easy to overspend.

scottishmummy Thu 13-Jun-13 22:01:26

I'd be wary of any course with title complementary therapies
if you're want to do sports massage,why not proceed to that directly
how is sport massage regulated?does it have accredited or approved courses

A friend of mine has spent the last two years studying beauty therapy, everything from eyebrow threading, pedicure, manicure, polishing, nail art, every day make up, evening make up, and also massage. She is not very optimistic regards her future employment prospects. Even her college tutor says it is really hard to find paid work, especially salon or spa jobs. Without the experience, most end up working for free for quite a while.

Maybe your dh is against the course because of what it is, not because you want to study?

cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 22:14:48

Scottishmummy - before I am able to study any kind of massage or therapy I need to have studied Anatomy and Physiology which is the first unit. Once I've completed this, I'll be free to study other units or even go to a different college. This is the basic entry requirement. So there's nothing to stop me doing sports massage if I find a place to do it.

scottishmummy Thu 13-Jun-13 22:24:26

ok,thanks
best wishes in future studies

Bogeyface Thu 13-Jun-13 22:43:53

Quint thats absolutely true about the BT courses, mainly because the market is flooded every summer with newly qualifed BTs and the salons can get away with taking on a new BT on a three month "work experience" contract that pays nothing, because in three months they will have a list of applicants a mile long for the next lot of work experience. My sister is the only BT I know that has made a career as a result of it, and she hasnt done treatments in 5 years. She got promoted to salon manager after slogging her guts out at minimum wage for 8 years and now runs a (v posh and v famous) spa, but it took her a hell of along time to get there. Most BT will ditch the career within 5 years. Its not surprising when you think that my sister would spend an hour knackering herself out massaging some fat sweaty bloke and get paid £6 ish for it. He would have paid £75 for that same hour. And if I were to tell you about "Minging Minge Mary" who came in regularly for a bikini wax after a day at work in tights AND trousers and always refused a shower pre-treatment.... I only heard 2 stories, couldnt face anymore grin

If sis had her time again she says that she would focus on the massage side of things, take more courses in that, and do the BT stuff as a self employed mobile sideline. Someone she was at college did that and she is worth a fortune now. Maybe worth mentioning that to your friend?

MammaTJ Fri 14-Jun-13 03:25:57

I have seen the work that goes in to that first module and it is on a par with the work I have had to do for my A level equivalent biology.

Nothing woo about that!

I got referred for acupuncture on the NHS for whiplash a few years ago. The NHS are taking a more holistic route nowadays.

Definitely do the course OP!

scottishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 19:24:32

complementary therapy course title is woo. reiki is off woo hoo scale
as I'd advise with any course,chose on interest and if seeking job on completion, employability
if not particularly seeking employment chose for enjoyment

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 14-Jun-13 19:42:14

If it's only one evening a week surely you can still look for a job at the same time.

I've always though that if we were on our uppers I could start a cleaning and laundry business but we are in London. Cd also do domestic admin, babysitting and the odd bit of catering.

cannotfuckingbelievethis Fri 14-Jun-13 22:47:55

Scottishmummy - you've really got a bee in your bonnet about this complementary therapies thing haven't you ? What would you suggest as an alternative title ? I plan to first learn the therapies that I have experienced and enjoyed myself so that means massage, reflexology and aromatherapy. Some people swear by reiki, others think it's a pile of shit. If someone is choosing to spend their money in this way and it ultimately makes them feel better then why is it any diffrent from buying make up , shoes or a new dress ?

scottishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 22:51:40

no,bee.no bonnet.you asked for opinion,you're getting opinion
if you're seeking employability do look into jobs post course.is it good option
if you're seeking enjoyment,then yes it's a recreational treat spend,like make up

cannotfuckingbelievethis Fri 14-Jun-13 22:57:02

Ok, we'll agree to disagree. I asked for opinions on spending some money on myself, not for opinions on my choice of course. My first reason is interest and then possibly a job.

LineRunner Fri 14-Jun-13 22:57:58

OP Just do it. smile

scottishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 22:58:35

as I said,best wishes your money spend it wisely ESP as it has been scarce

cannotfuckingbelievethis Fri 14-Jun-13 23:04:33

I'm talking about spending a third of it on myself, the first time I have really done so in a long time. It's as much to do with increasing my job prospects as it is to do with having "me" time and meeting new people. The remainder will be spent on a family holiday, a new loo and £160 that I owe my parents.

scottishmummy Fri 14-Jun-13 23:05:23

fair enough

quoteunquote Fri 14-Jun-13 23:37:01

Do your course, you loved it when you tried it,

and it is so much better doing something you love for a living than not,

One of our local doctor surgery has a complimentary medicine suites attached to it, everything from chiropractor, osteopathy,homeopathy very popular,

I don't believe your husband cannot see that your personal development doesn't benefit the whole family unit , he doesn't like un sanctioned change.

You would be very foolish not to grab this opportunity, and if anyone is none supportive, then question where you put your energies in the future, don't end up a mug.

BridgetBidet Fri 14-Jun-13 23:55:35

Ryangoslingspants, how old are you? If you are young, I think it's under 24, you might be able to qualify for help from the Princes Trust to set up your own business when you complete your course.

They are really helpful and if you are good at building up contacts and could get yourself a decent customer base you could be onto a winner. They offer help and support with start ups too.

ChipsNEggs Sat 15-Jun-13 07:33:08

Do the course. After 3 years out of work the confidence boost alone is probably worth the money.

I love a nice massage and its not woo at all!

cannotfuckingbelievethis Sat 15-Jun-13 08:27:02

I'm 38 so not young enough for any financial help I'm afraid ! It's getting booked on Monday, I'm decided.

Nerfmother Sat 15-Jun-13 08:33:04

Really weird how on the inheritance thread it was all 'its family money not dh's money' and now the op is being advised to spend it all on herself! If this is a lump sum after three years of not working, is there any debt or need that could be covered? I'd look at that first, but a course sounds good too.

cannotfuckingbelievethis Sat 15-Jun-13 08:44:06

Hi Nerf, no credit cards or the likes. I wouldn't dream of spending it all on myself as he's been working hard the past couple of years and financially I have not contributed (though I know looking after the kids is a full time job before anyone jumps in).

Nerfmother Sat 15-Jun-13 08:45:44

O
That's good, I think a course sounds like a sensible plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now