To want to spend some of this money on myself ?

(77 Posts)
cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 18:33:07

I've just been lucky enough to come into a bit of money ( £2400). I've been out of work for the last 3 yrs and things have been tough. I'm keen to go back to college and the part time course I 'm looking at is about £600. I don't go anywhere or do anything apart from when I'm out with the kids because of money being tight. Dh has a gym membership which I've never complained about as he has suffered from depression on the past and exercise definitely helps his mood. With the rest of the money I wanted to get a week away somewhere and get some things done in the house. Told dh about college and he made a face and said he thinks I'm getting carried away and should hold on. I was raging earlier.....I'm basically a fucking hermit and do very little purely for myself. Am i being selfish to want to spend £600 on myself?

QOD Thu 13-Jun-13 18:33:58

Nope. Do it

Add up his years of gym ...

ARealDame Thu 13-Jun-13 18:35:48

Doing a course when you have a bit of cash sounds wonderful. Splash out on a few things for yourself whilst you're at it. He does sound a bit miserable tbh. Don't let it affect you.

Of course you're not....do it! It's self improvement...it's hardly pissing it up the wall. I think I'd even say you're entitled to piss some of it up the wall if you so desire grin]

That's supposed to be a grin at the end

mummylin Thu 13-Jun-13 18:43:21

Spend it on your course and enjoy it.its a great opportunity for you

cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 18:49:13

Yes more I think about it, it would be silly not to. Not as though I 'm spending it on bloody handbags. And it's something that I've wanted to do for a few years.....

CAF275 Thu 13-Jun-13 18:54:26

I take it he didn't complain about the time away & stuff you want to do to the house? Oh, that's right, HE will benefit from those plans.

Do it. You don't even need to justify it - it's only a small portion of the windfall. And if he moans just tell him how much you'll be able to earn after doing the course. Whether you do or not is irrelevant btw, but it might shut the fucker up.

MammaTJ Thu 13-Jun-13 19:03:22

You might actually find that you pay a lot less than you think for the college course anyway.

I am doing an access course, which is equivalent to A levels and although it states that it was £1234 for the two year course, because I am a little bit over 25, and do not have a level 3 qualification, then I only had to pay £200, and I could pay that over a few months too.

MammaTJ Thu 13-Jun-13 19:03:48

Even if you don't get a discount, go for it!!

wonderingsoul Thu 13-Jun-13 19:14:21

ywbu not to.

go for it while you have the case there. its so easy to say oh ill save a little here and there..or ill do it next month, but as a mother you naturally put your self last, you have the option to treat every one.

your not pissing it up the wall
it could help you earn more

and most importantly.

it will make YOU happy.

though i am intrguied to as what you want to do?

you dont have to say im just nosey

cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 19:14:38

Thanks Mamma. I've checked already snd am not eligible for any funding. It's actually 3 separate units at £200 each. I was late applying the last 3 yrs because the money was always earmarked for other things.

Go for it, in all fairness I'd be spending £600 on a spa weekend so college sounds far too sensible to me!

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 13-Jun-13 19:18:55

Do it.

FarBetterNow Thu 13-Jun-13 19:21:07

Does he think you should be looking for a job rather than going to college?

MammaTJ Thu 13-Jun-13 19:24:48

I am now likely to die of curiosity of you don't tell what it is!! grin

LineRunner Thu 13-Jun-13 19:26:59

Is it a handbag making course? smile

Do it.

wannaBe Thu 13-Jun-13 19:27:17

spend the £600 on the course. then spend the rest on bloody handbags. ;)

SueDoku Thu 13-Jun-13 19:28:47

Go for the college course..!! Tell him it will help you to get a better job and watch his eyes light up smile

cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 19:28:53

Farbetter - don't think do. I have been looking for work but can' t get anything during the day because of the kids. Have bern looking at evening and weekend work but haven't found anything yet. And college is only one night a week.

NatashaBee Thu 13-Jun-13 19:30:15

YANBU. I agree, add up the cost of his gym and remind him that you're both equally entitled to have a hobby if you want.

INeedSomeSun Thu 13-Jun-13 19:31:03

Please tell us what course it is

cannotfuckingbelievethis Thu 13-Jun-13 19:32:27

Mamma - You'll probably be very disappointed ! It's a complementary therapies course. I did a week long taster course a few summers ago ( which dh paid for!) and I loved it.

beginnings Thu 13-Jun-13 19:39:18

Do it. Sounds great!

scottishmummy Thu 13-Jun-13 19:40:34

don't waste money studying woo-hoo rubbish.can't see the benefit in that at all
other than if you're hoping to set up charging other gullibles a lot of money
if money been tight for so long,it seem shame to spend on complementary woo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now