Should women be allowed to do everything men do?

(284 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:08:15

Talk to me about equality.

digerd Sat 15-Jun-13 06:51:39

My sis said to me " I have always known that women are superior to men. They should be the ones in charge!" She earned more than her DH, and when the 2DS were 7 and 9, they reversed roles.
It worked brilliantly, as he played footie with the boys in the school holidays and renovated the house- neither of which sis wanted to do- and all the shopping, laundry, cleaning , cooking etc.

When she took early retirement, she moaned to me that DH didn't touch the hoover anymore and she had to do it. hmm

Lazyjaney Fri 14-Jun-13 21:36:04

"Push a 9lb baby out of your penis and then keep it alive using only your body for 6 months and then we can talk"

But OTOH women can't talk out their arses non stop grin

Xenia Fri 14-Jun-13 19:26:29

Women give birth. Men can't (so far). However we have many more similarities than differences. Also men have had a lot of sense leaving low grade low paid dull stuff like cleaning and housecare to women and only now do women have the power to say - hang on that's as dull as ditch water I'd rather be out earning £100k whilst you stay home mopping floors mate.

Shitsinger Fri 14-Jun-13 19:12:40

Interesting that what Men do is still seen as the norm/preferred option in society and that as a result women are seen as lacking.
Push a 9lb baby out of your penis and then keep it alive using only your body for 6 months and then we can talk.grin

Latara Fri 14-Jun-13 18:42:07

We are different to men (thank god), but we should be treated equally and do exactly as they do in life if we wish to.

limitedperiodonly Fri 14-Jun-13 18:10:38

How about we just drop the different thing and say we're just equal?

Trills Fri 14-Jun-13 17:05:01

We are equal but different.

But what the differences are - we are not sure.

How big the differences are - probably not as big as many people seem to think.

Any argument based on "biological differences" is probably just some sexism.

thegreylady Fri 14-Jun-13 14:41:31

We are indeed equal but different.As far as I am concerned 'allowed' doesn't come into it at all.Both men and women should be able to do whatever they can do.

EldritchCleavage Fri 14-Jun-13 13:54:59

I am a Ribena feminist.

LurcioLovesFrankie Fri 14-Jun-13 13:39:39

Or perhaps that should be "lower" rather than "raise".

LurcioLovesFrankie Fri 14-Jun-13 13:38:19

I'll see your "babycham feminist" and raise you lambrini feminist.

Trills Fri 14-Jun-13 13:35:44

Well, women shouldn't be allowed to do everything that men DO, because lots of the things that men DO, nobody should be allowed to do, IYSWIM.

I don't have the budget to be a champagne feminist.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 13:33:59

I am a cava feminist

Ooh hark at Ms Fancydrawers, I am a babycham femininst.

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 13:31:55

I'm on my way, Xenia. Turn left at Panama, I believe. I'm bringing M Bonsoir who has purchased a special stripey nautical sweater in honour of the occasion.

Xenia Fri 14-Jun-13 13:23:03

Yes, I like the sub and island visual image - in my head at least.
Humans like a range of hobbies and when we categorise all girls into just doing XYZ hobbies and boys ABC is does limit them more than is needed.
Sadly even today a lot of women go into very low paid areas of work of low value and men don't and that needs to be addressed too.

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 13:21:04

love that slug

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 13:17:46

I am a cava feminist <cracks open bottle with teeth whilst helming sub>

LurcioLovesFrankie Fri 14-Jun-13 13:13:19

I love this thread. It has given me "champagne feminism" and the mental image of Hully rocking up in her sub at Xenia's island.

slug Fri 14-Jun-13 12:36:33
Xenia Fri 14-Jun-13 09:09:43

Different but equal is usually used as a tool to engrain and justify sexism. We are not really that different at all. The UK used to think women were so different they could not qualify as doctors.
Harry Enfield is quite funny on these issues:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmBauXYzgc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

MyBaby1day Fri 14-Jun-13 06:12:56

Yes I do. I believe in equality. We are different-but equal. I like to think I have my own version of GIRL POWER!! grin

HullMum Fri 14-Jun-13 04:30:26

I can't swing a hammer because of my mahoosive bazookas

haven't got bazookas sad

kickassangel Fri 14-Jun-13 02:46:02

ooh, you;ve made me come over all unnecessary

garlicgrump Fri 14-Jun-13 02:38:37

<chuckles manfully at Kickass>

We Real Men don't ET quiche or cupcakes. We're too busy lifting heavy things and working machinery.

<scoffs cake>

Would like me to stick your eyelashes back on for you? Hold still ... <leans over gently but manfully, presses strip to lid with expert fingers, smiles indulgently> ... There! You're so pretty, you know, you could easily do without those. Must be off, that pile of wood won't chop itself.

------------------------------

I seem to have morphed into the absurd hero of an airport novel. Any minute now, I'll be immobilising Hully with recently-purchased DIY items prior to wordlessly shagging her in assorted ridiculous locations.

kickassangel Fri 14-Jun-13 02:21:06

hmm, perhaps I meant eat. silly me and my ipad, can never get the hang of it.
<giggle, bat of eyelashes>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now