Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Should women be allowed to do everything men do?

(284 Posts)
Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:08:15

Talk to me about equality.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 13-Jun-13 11:10:00

Nah. Our vaginas get in the way all the time.

DeWe Thu 13-Jun-13 11:10:54

If you wish to go into the gents and wee standing up, then I won't stop you. grin

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:10:57

No, this is a serious point.

Are we not equal but different?

Don't we all have different roles?

Trapper Thu 13-Jun-13 11:11:37

You are welcome to do everything I need to do today. I'll go back to bed.

Sheshelob Thu 13-Jun-13 11:11:39

No.

Jar opening is something my vagina inhibits me from doing.

Oh, and working as a team. I can't do that.

VinegarDrinker Thu 13-Jun-13 11:11:42

What things are we not allowed to do?

Submarines? Front line combat? There must be more.

mmmerangue Thu 13-Jun-13 11:11:58

Yes, if they want to.

Not every woman is as strong as a man, but some women are stronger than some men.

Not every woman wants to be a builder, or in the army, or whatever your preferred 'male role' is, but some do.

Not ever man wants to either.

My favourite quality story of the week http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150

Buzzardbird Thu 13-Jun-13 11:12:01

No, we should be made to undress to the sound of cheesy music.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 13-Jun-13 11:12:03

I think the differences between any two individuals randomly picked are just as significant as the differences between men and women, once you take social conditioning out of it.

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:12:24

I used to command a sub, so that isn't true.

They are surprisingly easy.

mmmerangue Thu 13-Jun-13 11:12:32

Woops try again

VinegarDrinker Thu 13-Jun-13 11:13:22

"Don't we have different roles?"

IMHO only as much as any two people have different roles. I'm sure my interests, strengths and weaknesses are very different to yours. I just don't think my anatomy has anything to do with it.

Fathering children.

And watching really boring telly programs.

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:14:18

The good thing about being in charge of a sub is all the lovely young men you can get to help you press the buttons n shit

VinegarDrinker Thu 13-Jun-13 11:14:43

Ah I am obviously misinformed.

Small Russian got there first with the point I was going to make, anyway.

mmmerangue Thu 13-Jun-13 11:14:47

I type with my fists, by the way.

*every man

*equality story

Sheshelob Thu 13-Jun-13 11:14:53

<puts serious hat on>

I don't think there is any universal male thing that women can't do. But I do think everyone is different. It just doesn't have to be along gender lines.

Buzzardbird Thu 13-Jun-13 11:14:56

Thought submariners never used the term 'sub'? So my DDF told me if ever I slipped up.

I want to be in charge of a sub.

A twelve inch BLT one.

<hungry>

limitedperiodonly Thu 13-Jun-13 11:15:32

I think more menz should be allowed to be as artistic and celebratory of their bodies as women.

try to ignore the intro

kim147 Thu 13-Jun-13 11:15:54

But imagine the headlines if you were a sub commander and did this

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11605365

cory Thu 13-Jun-13 11:16:09

Who is this person who gets to do the allowing? How about letting adults decide for themselves- and take the risk of rejection if they are not up to the job?

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 13-Jun-13 11:16:15

Although, interestingly (well, only to me), if you chose to fiddle around with two eggs, I believe you could splice together a baby. You couldn't with sperm because they don't carry the information. But theoretically, I think women could 'father' babies.*

*This is a random sci-fi point. This is not evil feminists annihilating menz from the reproductive process. That happens later, after we have built the yonic memorial in the shape of a giant vulva and sung a rousing chorus of Nana was a Suffragette.

Northernexile Thu 13-Jun-13 11:16:35

Only as long as you don't refer to yourself as a feminist in polite company. Couldn't be having that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now