To think my cat is doing this on purpose??? Sorry it's a bit gross.

(66 Posts)
HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 13-Jun-13 09:19:35

Pretty much every time I make something to eat my cat suddenly decides that she needs a shit and must use the litter tray immediately! I eat and serve dinner at different times every day, so it can't just be that her shitting routine coincides with our eating pattern.

She's a housecat so I can't kick her out while we are eating. It's just so off putting, especially as she always comes into the room we are eating in afterwards, sits infront of us and licks her arse (usually while staring at me hmm).

She must be doing this on purpose surely?? I pointed it out to DH and he said I was being bonkers, but has now realised that she is doing it at pretty much every mealtime!! She is known to be quite a jerk in other areas, so it really wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of evil intent behind this! grin

changeforthebetter Sat 15-Jun-13 21:51:56

This is similarly irritating - DD settles down for an unbelievably smelly dump if I have the audacity to have a Saturday morning soak <hmm face>

Twattybollocks Sat 15-Jun-13 21:48:16

My old cat used to somehow manage to be sitting on the Windowsill by the front door licking his arse as the postman arrived every damn morning. He also would walk all over my car bonnet within minutes of me washing the car and going inside. His other favourite trick was to shit in the planter outside the next door neighbours front door as they pulled into the drive from work. He really was a minger of a cat!

BerylStreep Sat 15-Jun-13 21:15:17

Sashh, how did you train your cat to use the toilet?

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 15:16:05

her litter tray is in the bathroom and if I shut her out when she wanted a poo, the best case scenario would be a scratched to buggery carpet and non-stop meowing.

The worst, would be her crimping off a shite just outside the bathroom door because she couldn't get to the litter tray.

HeffalumpTheFlump Fri 14-Jun-13 10:06:19

Can I just ask, those of you whose cats join you in the bathroom for your toilet activities. Do you not close the door? My cat would happily come and stare at me while I pee/poo but I always close the door.

However this doesn't stop her from slowly running her claws down it from the outside in a whiny 'muuuuuum' sort of fashion.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 14-Jun-13 10:06:10

One of our cats had a mate who would be waiting at the door every morning as well. It was soo cute. The mate had had a front leg amputated and LackadaisyCAT would lie down and let him rest his stump on him...bless smile

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 08:06:45

Alex aw that is very cute. I wish our little un could find a wee cat pal. She does the walking on your and meowing in the middle of the night to check you are still alive.

HullMum Fri 14-Jun-13 04:19:33

yanbu, cats can be dicks

I am awake and joining this thread after being patted on the nose until I got up and fed my nuisance cat, (the cat was doing the patting, bugger). When I opened the door to let him out his best friend was practically leaning on it. he calls for him every day, never this early though.

He and his friend are always together, wrestling and playing, it's funny as our old cat was very much a solitary creature where other cats were concerned.

sashh Fri 14-Jun-13 02:30:02

I'd love it if they would just go outside!

You would have loved Claudia, she taught herself to use the toilet, much easier than a tray.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 00:40:32

Our cat has her litter tray in the bathroom and likes using it when I'm having a poo. I quite look forward to our mutual pooing sessions.

She is a demanding diva and will only drink running water from the bath. If presented with a bowl of fresh water curls her lip up Elvis style as a display of disgust.

She is very gentle and sweet natured though.

jessjessjess Fri 14-Jun-13 00:24:29

My kitten always has a shit when we eat dinner, whatever time it happens to be.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 13-Jun-13 23:03:22

One of my cats used to climb onto shelves and slowly knock all my knick knacks off...the bitch. Maybe she was a MNer professing her distate at my twigs and pebbly shit hmm

She also used to fall off things, especially tops of radiators when she fell asleep lounging in the heat...

She would also scale the doors so that she could be higher than the humans and would randomly throw herself off onto your shoulders when you walked past, much to the alarm of my cat hating exBF grin
She was a great mouser though smile

deeplybaffled Thu 13-Jun-13 22:49:56

Mine falls off things. Twice off the conservatory roof - next door must think I am throwing cats at them. Once out of the upstairs bedroom window. Once off the banister and down the stairs.
I had thought that cats were elegant until I met her.

If I laugh at her, she jumps on the shelves and deliberately knocks things on to the floor to punish me.

She also broke into a friend's soft top car and triggered the alarm.

I do not think this is normal.

Burmillababe Thu 13-Jun-13 22:30:45

Heffalump Your DH is playing right into the cat's paws, she's definitely an evil genius! grin

Heartbrokenmum73 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:58:58

Beryl are you aware you put 'housecoat'? No wonder you think they're behaving strangely!

And MrsDrew - that just goes to show how intelligent they can be. I am shock at that.

I love when they show cat clips on You've Been Framed and they veer from amazingly clever (opening doors, turning on lights) to incredibly stupid (falling in fish tanks, attacking their own reflections). Lovable idiots.

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 13-Jun-13 21:54:49

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an evil mastermind of a cat!! And DH still wont believe she does any of it on purpose even though iv shown him this thread! He's in denial.. Can't take the truth!!

BerylStreep Thu 13-Jun-13 21:51:23

Maybe close the hall door so she doesn't get to have an audience?

Mine are supposed to be housecoats, but they go outside. When they get back in, they rush to the litter tray in desperation. I'd love it if they would just go outside!

mrsdrew Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:20

And my Mum has a cat who was limping for a few days, vet diagnosed a foot injury which was treated. Cat enjoyed lots of fuss, treats and being carried upstairs till it healed. Several weeks later she was limping again, taken to vets who found nothing wrong and told us she was faking it!. We now find that if cat feels she is not getting enough attention, she limps!. After lots of fuss and treats she is miraculously healed!. Genius!.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 13-Jun-13 21:45:32

Our cat's litter try was in the bathroom and he would join me every time I sat down for a poo. I think he was trying (and succeeding <boak>) to out-pong me grin

mrsdrew Thu 13-Jun-13 21:42:45

I used to have a cat who used a litter tray very neatly for years. I then adopted a rescue cat and 1st cat staged a dirty protest by pissing in my shoes or on my handbags. The shoes I could at least see/feel the wee but spent several days walking round with handbags and wondering why I could smell cat piss all the time. I threw away several litter trays I thought were leaking as I would pick them up to clean them and find the underneath soaked with piss which obviously got all over my hands. I then caught him in the act one day of sitting in the litter tray but positioning his arse just over the rim so all the piss dribbled over and ran underneath. That's a definite 'fuck you' if you ask me

Heartbrokenmum73 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:39:54

One of our cats will literally eat your food while it's still in your hand! And I'm using 'literally' complete correctly here.

DS was eating a Dairylea dipper thingy, cat just stuck his face straight into the cheese spread section. DS thought it was hilarious and offered to share with the cat!

Did the same thing with a yogurt pot the same week.

I've also seen him (cat, not DS) eating chicken korma and pizza out of the bin - NOT a fussy eater...

poppycock6 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:37:29

Anyone seen the Simon's Cat film clips? I'd recommend them!
www.simonscat.com

Burmillababe Thu 13-Jun-13 21:30:41

Yes, it's on purpose! Cats have a wicked sense of humour - and are evil geniuses! One of mine will try to take my food, and if I don't let him, he sneezes on it! So it's easier to give in to him! grin

Gruntfuttock Thu 13-Jun-13 21:24:26

"I wondered if it was something to do with smelling the food, but she does it when I have none smelly food too! This morning I had shreddies and she still did it!!"

It may be non-smelly food to you, but that doesn't mean it's non-smelly food to your cat, because (I've just looked this up) a domestic cat's sense of smell is about 14 times stronger than a human's.

I don't know why your cat's doing this because:-
(a) I've never had a cat
(b) I don't like cats.

At a guess I'd say it's just innate peskiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now