Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this is a breach of softplay etiquette?

(71 Posts)
megsmouse Wed 12-Jun-13 22:42:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

megsmouse Sun 16-Jun-13 12:17:47

pigletmania Fri 14-Jun-13 09:17:05

If it is very busy than adults should give the children a chance though

pigletmania Fri 14-Jun-13 08:54:33

Well there should be signs then, just because some on here think its wring doesnot mean it is

louschmoo Fri 14-Jun-13 08:41:10

There's a Gambados near me which has bumper cars. It has mostly kid-size cars, and a very small number of cars which fit a child and an adult. These are used by parents with small kids who are too young to drive themselves. The bumper car section is only open for 1 hour at a time and alternates with a carousel so once you factor in queuing time you could easily miss a turn on it depending on when you arrive/start queuing. In these circs I'd think it odd if small kids had to wait so an adult could ride - it's not a funfair. I'm with you OP.

spg1983 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:38:26

Just wanted to add, I'm sure my DH is in the vast minority, but that was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread.

spg1983 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:35:46

OP I am not sure if YABU or not as I think the situation sounds mega complicated. If there is a rule displayed about lone adults then YANBU otherwise it's a bit of a grey area.

However I will say this - don't forget that all parents have very different expectations about safety and caution. Much as I love my DH and think he is a great dad to DSS (7) and DD(15wks), there is no way I'd let either of them on the bumper cars if he were a lone driver, or if any of his friends were in the other cars (with or without children). If he had DSS with him and didn't know anyone else then fair enough but when he's on his own or with his mates, they all turn into 13yr olds again and just lose all sense of safety and responsibility. He is just so competitive, if anyone challenges him to anything, it's like he acquires a set of blinkers which block out the real world...(thinking of times like when it cost hundreds in physio fees to sort his back out after a high-jump challenge on school sports day...!)

I adore my DH and if we were on bumper cars somewhere without our dc then I'd happily join in and be as crazy as him. But some parents seem to lack that ability to tone it down when children are about which would explain why there probably is a rule about lone adults.

BegoniaBampot Fri 14-Jun-13 08:32:31

So what kind of cars are these? Only ever saw pedal type cars like tractors etc at softplay. Just can't imagine zooming about on my own making weird zooming noises if a little kid is waiting nearby watching you desperate for a ride.

Did go to Hong Kong Disneyland with my little kids though, and they were almost the only kids in the queue for Winnie the Pooh teacup ride. It was all old women and middle aged men. Bizarre but quite sweet.

pigletmania Fri 14-Jun-13 08:17:37

Surely if those cars are only for adults accompanying children there should be signs indicating as such, if there are no signs and the person operating the ride lets them on what's the fuss? I would never go to soft play on my own now that is strange

pigletmania Fri 14-Jun-13 08:06:46

Why just because I'm an adult I have to,act all serious and grown up, get real I'm a big kid at heart, I love a bit of fun from time to time grin

pigletmania Fri 14-Jun-13 08:05:18

Yanbu she should wait her turn like everybody else. If she queued properly she has every right to use the bumper cars. when I go to soft play with dd istillhave to pay entrance for myself as well on top of that, so it's my right to use the adult bumper cars alone. Children have to learn to wait in a queue, it's part of life

PorkPieandPickle Fri 14-Jun-13 07:40:03

Surely the larger cars are specifically designed so that adults can accompany younger children who cannot go on alone, not for adults to go in on their own and race their kids- their kids can race the other kids? Otherwise you would have mums jumping in the ballpit etc because their kids want to play with them!

YANBU op.

megsmouse Fri 14-Jun-13 07:24:05

Orangebirdonatable Fri 14-Jun-13 06:57:56

I agree with begonia.but maybe it is a cultural thing.

Where I live there are almost no public parks. We sometimes go to one about 45 minutes drive away and my dcs struggle to play on swings or climbing frames as most of the equipment is being used by adults. I find it very strange.

SodaStreamy Fri 14-Jun-13 02:37:10

are these proper electric bumper cars?

Inside?

At softplay?

We have a slide and a ballpit

SoftlySoftly Fri 14-Jun-13 01:26:16

Yes too young absolutely needs supervision <<ignores escapee 1 yr old>>

BegoniaBampot Fri 14-Jun-13 00:46:05

Really surprised at the answers. Can't imagine using a car on my own in a small children's soft lay place and making other small children wait. Just seems really strange.

megsmouse Fri 14-Jun-13 00:20:30

maddening Thu 13-Jun-13 22:19:44

maybe the "grown up" should have learnt to share by now - a toddler is learning nothing from this I don't see why it has to be turned in to a life lesson anyway - if there was no queue then this woman could have taken up an extra car out of a more limited population of cars but there were queues so she was unreasonable to take the action she did - eg a group were let in to the bumper car section at one time and she demanded someone already sat on a car to get off to let her ride - not pleasant for a toddler to experience either (another adult trying to kick toddler and parent off- I doubt the other parent was all giggles and smiles)

SoftlySoftly Thu 13-Jun-13 19:24:17

Am I alone in thinking the whole soft play idea is so that you can ignore your children for an hour?

YA both U you should have been drinking tea and mumsnetting not faffing about in bumper cars.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 13-Jun-13 19:21:14

' I never said my dd shouldn't share a car. She is too young to drive one on her own. I'm not really sure where you got this'

meg the whole point of this thread is that you don't think your DD should have had to share the bumper cars with a grown up! That's the OP.

'Aibu to think that the cars in soft play are for the children and adults shouldn't ride them on their own?'

When it was pointed out that her children probably wanted her to play with them, you said that older children should go without this in order to let younger ones on i.e. your DD shouldn't have to share with these children who want their mum to play with them because it means she has to wait longer.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 13-Jun-13 19:17:17

You're shocked at the idea of a mother wanting to join in and play with her child sue? That's a bit of a worry.....

(You did read the bit about her being there with her children, right?)

SueDoku Thu 13-Jun-13 19:11:53

I am shock shock at the idea of adults, adults going to a children's soft play area and then wanting to play on the equipment while children have to stand and watch....!!! FFS the whole place is for children not 'big children' - if you want to play on adult bumper cars go to the fair.... confused

megsmouse Thu 13-Jun-13 18:24:38

kungfupannda Thu 13-Jun-13 16:53:28

So you are not being unreasonable about the scenario that actually happened, but you are being unreasonable to think that she shouldn't have used a car on her own at all.

kungfupannda Thu 13-Jun-13 16:51:47

Gambados.

My money's on the Chelsea one.

[nods wisely and remembers the hell of uber-posh soft play]

Assuming it is Gambados, you are probably not being unreasonable. They have a few cars and they open the gate and the next 5 or 6 children go through together and choose a car, and then they close the gate. The attendant presumably let the right number of people through, based on every adult sharing with a child. If she'd got to a car first that would be one thing, but she shouldn't have tried to evict a child who was already in one. No-one would have realised she wanted a car on her own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now