To think that if you drive a small car, you are fair game for intimidation!

(156 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 12-Jun-13 22:33:55

DM is away this week, and has lent me her car. It is a Nissan Micra. EVERY time I have been out in it, I have been tailgated by a van/taxi/4x4. I don't get this in my large Citroen. I have driven the Micra in exactly the same way! If it was my own car, Id be tempted to apply the brakes! angry

ipswichwitch Sat 15-Jun-13 09:10:34

The reason small car drivers are more hesitant at junctions and roundabouts is that the car can't pull away fast enough (small engine) to make it safely into a gap in traffic that a larger, faster car can make.
I drive an old 1.2 fiesta and get sick to fucking death of people trying to bully me out of junctions when I know fine well the car won't make it and I'll cause a pile up. They'd be even later for work then - twats.
I even had some arse shouting that I should get a better car once. And who's gonna pay for that? I drive it out of financial necessity not just to piss off those that own bigger/better/faster cars. And I'm certainly not an overly cautious, sudden braking, nervous driver.

RoooneyMara Sat 15-Jun-13 08:37:48

Oh dear.

theodorakisses Sat 15-Jun-13 06:08:32

twonk works for me

Evidently.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 22:28:54

My car is the mini-cabbers ride of choice mind you. So I can hardly talk.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 22:27:59

It was a low blow I know, but it is THE stereotypical hairdressers car!

compos sadly I'll not be much use for your hair since I'm a civil servant

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 14-Jun-13 21:57:45

Twonk works for me!

WeAppearToBeAlright Fri 14-Jun-13 21:33:57

I get much more consideration in my old banger 2L diesel estate peugeot 406 than I ever had in my shiny new 1.4L 206.

I think it's because I don't look like I care about another dent or scrape; I'm quite large; and I'm going quite fast.

In reality, I drive a lot more safely in this one because I loves it.

theodorakisses Fri 14-Jun-13 21:23:28

Twonk isn't a word and not a way to describe irritating and offesnsive people. Twat describes the type of person I was thinking of. Not stupid, just literal.

Lazyjaney Fri 14-Jun-13 21:21:12

Caught in a queue this pm behind a Nissan Micra conforming faithfully to stereotype, frustrated drivers in all sorts of cars behind did various taligates/ overtakes/ cut-ins / push pasts / etc to get past.

Car turned off before I had to try and get past it, made a meal even out of turning left.

Some drivers cause their own problems.

theodorakisses Fri 14-Jun-13 21:19:58

Because you think that that anyone who has a nice car and doesn't agree with you should be shot. I don't really care what car you drive but don't think you should hate all people who don't choose drive the cars on your list of acceptable vehicles

RoooneyMara Fri 14-Jun-13 20:42:14

Oh not you Theodora. Not again. My old adversary. Why do we always meet on these threads?

RoooneyMara Fri 14-Jun-13 20:39:56

I nearly got crushed by a skip lorry the other day. It was literally a split second decision that came, quite clearly, into my mind - If you do not mount the pavement, your baby will die.

I went up the pavement and thank fuck there was no one on it. The fucker was coming straight towards me, without stopping - I wasn't even scared. I just knew I had to act.

Perhaps he just didn't see me.

MrsDoomsPatterson Fri 14-Jun-13 20:29:32

BTW, I actually said 'Twonks' - please get the insults correct, yah?

MrsDoomsPatterson Fri 14-Jun-13 20:24:08

people who say lollers are the biggest twats.

I agree! Never said it before & probably won't again, was just blown away by the pure twattishness of someone saying that.

I either drive a Mazda 2 (teeny tiny) or a Landcruiser (large) - there is a junction near here at which I can guarantee a driver will pull out of across me if I'm in the small car, but not if I'm in the big one. A large lorry nearly chopped me in half last week when I was driving the small car - I would put money on it not happening if I'd been in the big one.

I'm with Plomino on the trailer driving too, people see you coming and barge out in front of you in case you hold them up....I pull over if I have a queue of traffic behind me but very few ever acknowledge that with a wave or thankyou.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 14-Jun-13 17:30:43

I think people who work hard and have lots of money should be allowed to have the biggest car they like and celebrate their success. Just saying.
hmm
on finance, paying through the nose

theodorakisses Fri 14-Jun-13 17:02:35

people who say lollers are the biggest twats.

theodorakisses Fri 14-Jun-13 17:01:46

Compost-mine isn't. it is big, safe and fun. I don't have a cock and am not insecure, just like having nice things that are comfy, fun and safe. The insecurity is far more likely to be from the cries of 22 year old Fiesta drivers who think they are eco firendly because they drive it. They are not. My truck does, however, do 9mpg but my fuel is free so I don't care. My Escalade is quite efficient and has saved our lives (although sadly not a foster dog I was picking up who went through the windscreen when a lorry hit us head on a 120kph). Imagine if we had been in a Picanto, we would have been squished.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 15:29:19

The funny thing is that my totally bog standard 1.6 Corolla is faster than the 2litre GOlf GTi off the same era.

It has similar horsepower, is much lighter and has 16 valves, when the 8 valvegolf is horribly overweight. The late 90s Golf GTI was spectacularly shite though. Sadly I've never had one pull up alongside me at the lights.

ComposHat Fri 14-Jun-13 15:10:44

but not so much in my 207cc.

How much do you charge for a cut and colour? (ducks)

i def used to get this when i had a citroen c1 but not so much in my 207cc. however i do get nasty comments from people when i have the roof down! err i paid for this damn car so i'll put the roof up and down as i please!

my partners subaru impreza is the best car for annoying boy racers tho as they dont realise its one with a 250bhp engine lol. their 1L corsas simply wont compete!

Tallulahmae Fri 14-Jun-13 13:48:41

I used to drive a yellow and black smart fortwo and had people trying to intimidate me all the time (luckily I simply don't care and just slowed down, waved and laughed at them, with the occasional brake light show).

Now I drive a grey and white smart fortwo and don't really get people trying to bully me too often but again I simply don't care - their aggression simply amuses me!

Redtractoryellowtractor Fri 14-Jun-13 13:46:56

I drive a Nissan Micra, they are very fast at pulling away. I find that's quite good fun when twatting about with Boy racers or merc drivers.

My approach is usually to just smile and sing and tra la la and refuse to be intimidated out of the way, then send people off with a cheery wave. That tends to piss them off more.

MrsDoomsPatterson Fri 14-Jun-13 13:44:30

I think people who work hard and have lots of money should be allowed to have the biggest car they like and celebrate their success. Just saying.

Someone on this fred said this ^ ?! Oh lollers!! God there are some twonks on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now