To think that if you drive a small car, you are fair game for intimidation!

(156 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 12-Jun-13 22:33:55

DM is away this week, and has lent me her car. It is a Nissan Micra. EVERY time I have been out in it, I have been tailgated by a van/taxi/4x4. I don't get this in my large Citroen. I have driven the Micra in exactly the same way! If it was my own car, Id be tempted to apply the brakes! angry

specialsubject Thu 13-Jun-13 10:06:48

it's bizarre, isn't it? I have a scruffy brown estate car and it is apparently invisible. I now drive with the side lights on at all times which does seem to allow people to see me.

The lights are very bright, especially the brakes and fogs (much brighter than on modern cars). To get rid of a tailgater, switch on headlamps and then flick the rear fog lamps. No need to do anything dangerous like touching the brake.

the incident I remember is a trip abroad in our British BMW, when we had a tailgater. As the passenger, I turned round and stared hard at the idiot behind. By the time he had worked out that I was not the one driving, we had an acceptable distance between us.

teacher123 Thu 13-Jun-13 10:10:32

No one ever used to cut me up in my land rover, but in my aygo I am fair game. However the worst driving behaviour I used to get was when I had a reasonably sporty convertible (which to be fair went like shit of a shovel). People used to challenge me at traffic lights, deliberately cut me up, just be wankers. It was unbelievable. Now I drive my tiddly car at a respectable 70 on the motorway and daydream about what car ill get when I don't need to hoik pushchairs around!

ARealDame Thu 13-Jun-13 10:13:41

Unfortunately, what the OP says I suspect is true. It really is a vile aspect of some people, who would intimidate a small car but not a BMW.
Vile.

I also had a Nissan Micra, and I absolutely loved it. It actually had some character too! But I do feel that men especially saw a female driver in a Nissan micra and it just annoyed them without any other provocation. I rarely swear on MN, but I really all those arrogant tossers to F Off.

ARealDame Thu 13-Jun-13 10:16:31

My cars are usually worth next to nothing, so I always work on the basis that their insurance claim will be alot worse than mine & hold my own

Interesting approach smile

yoshipoppet Thu 13-Jun-13 10:34:01

I drive a Wagon R, it suits me as I often have to carry large things in it and there is plenty of room in the back. Yes OP I do get tailgated a lot, it's not so bad on the open road, but when I get to a speed limit area and I slow down, that's when it usually happens. Some tit in a big shiny new car, or a works van will sit right on my back bumper. I assume the drivers are trying to intimidate, maybe they want me to go faster but I refuse to speed. In fact I would probably slow down a bit.
I would very much like a bumper sticker that reads 'I slow down for tailgaters'.
If I'm targeted by a works van and the company logo is on it I often ring up the company when I get home, and complain directly to them.

I also drive a lorry and no-one tailgates me in that, even though it's a lot slower.

BeCool Thu 13-Jun-13 10:37:01

I drive a 1.2l Polo these days & I don't feel any difference to when I drove a much much bigger Audi.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 13-Jun-13 10:41:21

I'm probably a bit guilty of assuming that small car = slowness......you can just tell.......but I have a small car too! Only difference is, I am a very confident driver and my car is a Mini Cooper S which means I'm small, but very, very fast. I never get tailgated grin

My DH drives a large BMW and finds that he never gets tailgated either, but equally, no one ever lets him out of junctions etc.

He gets tailgated a lot in his 34 year old Mini though.....but if people looked closer when they're driving up his ass that it has a roll cage, fire extinguisher and looks a bit like a rally car.......no wonder they look surprised when he leaves them absolutely standing behind him, choking on his dust.....grin

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 13-Jun-13 10:47:07

Hmm, am I the only one who has never experienced this?? Have had both big and small cars and can't say anyone tried to intimidate me in either ( well, except for the occasional wanker)

Maybe I'm a pushy driver and I don't realise it.

ouryve Thu 13-Jun-13 10:48:28

Never fair game.

DH has people driving up his arse in his Mazda 6. Some people are just plain twatwaffles.

theodorakisses Thu 13-Jun-13 10:52:21

Fair game, not really but I judge people for driving crappy little shitters aggressively (like driving slowly to piss people off) when they are more likely to be squished than people who have decent cars.

I drive a yaris and other cars can be knobbers especially audis tailgating etc. I think eventually they realise I can't/won't go faster and they overtake at the first opportunity. I will not be intimidated into dangerous driving by twats. Especially with my son in the car. They can just fuck off.

lottieandmia Thu 13-Jun-13 10:54:12

I agree! I think some people driving 4x4s think they have the right to just drive and everyone else will get out of the way.

lottieandmia Thu 13-Jun-13 10:54:49

As an aside, haven't the police just been given more powers to punish people who tailgate?

Oh and I don't drive slowly to piss people off hmm I drive at the speed limit. Like you're supposed to. And I couldn't give a fuck if that pisses you off.

PostBellumBugsy Thu 13-Jun-13 10:57:01

theodorakisses, I may drive a crappy little shitter in your opinion, but all the small old cars I drive have good safety features and records and are perfectly "decent" cars. I don't get what there is to judge about any of that.

persimmon Thu 13-Jun-13 10:58:24

I drove a Ka for 9 years and didn't notice this at all. Maybe I was just inured to it..? I now drive a Fiesta and again, haven't noticed anything in particular. Is a Fiesta a 'small car'?

lydiajones Thu 13-Jun-13 10:59:03

I hope not, I drive quite a small car and haven't noticed this. The only time I was intimidated was when I put green P plates on after passing my test which I think is totally wrong. As soon as I took them off I could drive in peace!!

IControlSandwichMonkey Thu 13-Jun-13 11:09:42

I only passed my test a couple of months ago and I am horrified by the behaviour of other drivers. I drive a smallish car and am constantly tailgated down the main road to dd's school. I drive at 60, which is the speed limit. I am not slow or unresponsive. But dear God, people can't wait to get past. I spend a lot of time braking to let them cut in front of me because they've overtaken when it isn't safe to do so and are in danger of being wiped out. Yesterday a nob in a massive, new SUV was right behind me to the point where he could have driven my car if he'd wanted to. I slowed down to 50 because the speed signs suggested I should and he started honking and flashing. Until a police car pulled out behind him. He moved back, gave himself an actual stopping distance and stopped behaving like a twit. Until the police car turned off and he bloody started it all again. It worries me because if anything happens, they'll hit the back of me and I can't do a thing to stop them.

ARealDame Thu 13-Jun-13 11:15:40

My experience too, IControl.

Ironically, I have to slow down when I am tailgated, because the driving situation becomes more dangerous!!! Idiots. I have got better over the years at ignoring them, though I am looking forward to the day when I can put my little finger out at some moron, you know the small appendage sign grin.

It always makes me laugh because these boy (and sometimes girl) racers are only speeding home to scratch their arse and pick their nose for 5 extra minutes

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 13-Jun-13 11:18:37

Im a confident driver, I drive miles and miles for work, and it doesn't scare me, it just pisses me off! I also drive at the speed limit. Its when Im driving through the villages it happens! I was thinking of downsizing my car, I wont be now!

Arabesque Thu 13-Jun-13 12:11:09

I drive an old Toyota Corolla and am fed up of twats in 4x4s and BMWs driving up my arse. I don't dawdle down the road at 20 mph or keep braking for no reason, I drive perfectly normally and have years of experience. But some people really are so shallow that they think a bigger car = better driver/more important person.

tb Thu 13-Jun-13 12:12:25

For a lesson in how few drivers judge your speed before pulling out in front of you, try a 2CV. The amount of times I used to get cut up was unbelievable. More annoying was the 20 mins foot to the floor to build up speed again.

A Citroen salesman told me that at Slough they had several 2CVs that had been modified by being fitted with a 3l V6 Cosworth engine - think Sierra XR4i - plus uprated suspension etc. Apparently there was a long waiting list of people who wanted to take them out into Slough at lunchtime to burn off - and piss off - idiots in their Ford Fiesta XR2i's at traffic lights. Would have loved to have a go in one.

TheCraicDealer Thu 13-Jun-13 12:32:15

Same as Hulababy- I have a little Fiat 500 and people let me out all the time. I think it's because it looks like a happy car smile Although I do miss the poke of the 1.8 ltr c-max I was previously driving when I'm stuck behind a lorry on the Glenshane Pass.

CerealMom Thu 13-Jun-13 12:32:29

tb ooh, a jet powered tin can - I want one.

I used to drive a Smart and now a Toyota IQ. I get let out at junctions, bit of tailgating sometimes. Not noticed anything terrible.

People laughed at my Smart. They weren't laughing when I had snow tyres fitted and could get places in '09 and '10. Never got stuck in muddy festival fields either. I miss my Smart...

I find it the opposite. grin

When I'm driving my little 206 other road users are fine. (apart from the one old bloke that decided to shout at me because I had the audacity to want to turn into the side street he was straddling.)

When I'm driving the a lot bigger BMW then all the cocks come out the woodwork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now