To think that if you drive a small car, you are fair game for intimidation!

(156 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 12-Jun-13 22:33:55

DM is away this week, and has lent me her car. It is a Nissan Micra. EVERY time I have been out in it, I have been tailgated by a van/taxi/4x4. I don't get this in my large Citroen. I have driven the Micra in exactly the same way! If it was my own car, Id be tempted to apply the brakes! angry

livinginwonderland Thu 13-Jun-13 08:14:04

I have a Hyundai Getz and I'm always getting cut up, especially because my road seems to be full of people with huge BMW's and estate cars! It's especially infuriating because my flat is on a main road, so if it's busy, I have a nightmare just getting out of my parking space!

NotDead Thu 13-Jun-13 08:16:26

I had some fun once pushing into a traffic queue..tweedy man in jag let out a massive aggressive BEEEEEP. so I timed my crawl over the lights to see the fuck sitting at red whilst I tootled off. at the next light sat across lanes and really pissed him off.. then when he got past neatly overtook in a nice small length of road and stopped so he straddled a pedestrian crossing and got out and left him stuck haha! not proud exactly but pleased as punch to bully twat bully back! smile

TwllBach Thu 13-Jun-13 08:21:50

I had a Nissan micra for years as it was my first car and I loved it. I didn't notice what you're sayi g until I had to scrap it and I've now got a slightly boy racer-y ford fiesta thing (because it was the only thing I could afford.)

People definitely treat me differently on the road now, but I would love to have another Nissan micra - it was the most amazing car.

I drove a Nissan Micra for over 20 years and never experienced this, other than the usual twats that are everywhere, regardless of car size. The only vehicle that tried to intimidate me was a large concrete pick up truck, much to the amusement of my fellow drivers who all tooted and waved their approval at David taking on Goliath.

I think hamilton may have hit the nail on the head - if people presume a woman is driving they may act more aggresively.

There are also certain indicators that drivers give - road positioning, speed etc. which indicate whether the driver is confident or nervous. If drivers are unconsciously driving in a timid manner then drivers with bullying tendencies may pick up on these.

I spend some of the time driving a Renault Grand Espace and some of the time driving a Toyota IQ, so I think I've experienced both ends of the car size spectrum.

I haven't noticed any difference in how close other drivers are or how pushy they are. Some drivers are pricks and most aren't, regardless of whether I'm driving one of the largest cars available or one of the smallest.

Vivizone - i only passed my test last year and got a 1L corsa
I loved it
Some drivers are intimidating but dont let that put you off please
For every arsehole on the road there is also a courteous sensible driver smile

Megsdaughter Thu 13-Jun-13 08:45:28

I've gone from driving a 8 seater Mazda bongo to a Nissan micra and must admit haven't noticed any difference.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 13-Jun-13 08:58:13

I have noticed this. I don't know why some people do it, but they do. We've got a santa fe and an accent and when in the accent, people are a lot more aggressive than when we're in the santa fe.

However, we used to have a - I will put on my protective clothing because I know I'm going to suffer Judgement for this wink - range rover and we noticed a very different effect. People who had an attitude about big cars. People would give way to you (not when they have to but that little courtesy we all do for each other) in the small car (at that time our small car was a fiat I think) but no WAY would they do that same courtesy when we were in the range rover.

Funniest was the lollypop lady who would leap into the road if we were driving that, whether someone was ready to cross or not but not bother unless someone was actually waiting there ready to cross if we were in the little car. you'll think I'm mad but it happened every time.

MaxPepsi Thu 13-Jun-13 09:02:25

I have had experience of this.

My first car was a little clapped out clio, however DH's was (and still is) a discovery. Massive difference in the way I've been treated on the road. DH noticed it too when he drove it.

I now have an old ford. It has a few scratches and bumps from prevous owners and therefore plenty of other road users assume it's a shit car. It is most amusing when they realise they can't overtake me or bully me as under the bonnet is a fuck off 1.8TDi engine and the woman behind the wheel is very confident driver.

The one car where I've had respect from all quarters is when I drive my parents estate car. I'd love an estate <wistfully looks to the future when I've talked DH into buying me one>

dexter73 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:05:24

I haven't noticed this. I drive a Fiesta and quite often dh's BMW 530 which is enormous. Does my Fiesta driving cancel out my arrogant twat BMW driving?

PostBellumBugsy Thu 13-Jun-13 09:12:43

I have mostly driven old small cars, so either I am used to this or I just don't notice it anymore.

My cars are usually worth next to nothing, so I always work on the basis that their insurance claim will be alot worse than mine & hold my own. I get alot of drivers with very small brains right up my rear but I have no compunction about jamming the brakes on to shift them.

I also hold my own in queues too and refuse to be pushed out of lane by huge 4x4s or vans - again I work on the basis that they are less likely to want the prang than me & I'm in the right anyway!

FarBetterNow Thu 13-Jun-13 09:14:29

Lightly touch the break pedal with the left foot whilst keeping right foot on accelorator.
Then the tail gaters usually back off.

thecakeisalie Thu 13-Jun-13 09:15:31

Were currently borrowing my Mum's car which is a little skoda and its been driving me crazy how much people try to intimidate me while driving it. I used to own a little skoda myself but haven't in a few years and glad I don't because people treat you so badly for it. DH's car is a BMW and I almost never get tailgated when driving it.

I always find it amusing that sticking to the 30mph speed limit in the bmw people just respect it but in the skoda I get people right up my backside or even overtaking me in ridiculous places.

FarBetterNow Thu 13-Jun-13 09:16:00

Ok, I mean touch the break pedal momentorally (sp).

I've noticed this before-the difference in behaviour when driving a Yaris vs a Qashqai+2 (not huge but substantially bigger/chunkier) is crazy

When I noticed it even more though was when I was learning to drive. I ended up doing all my learning (proper lessons included) in our pretty new Megane so not an obvious learners car. One day we went out driving and DH and I both commented that we'd had a really pleasant drive from the POV that we didn't have assholes honking, tailgating, cutting me up and generally being aggressive. Couldn't work out why as my driving seemed the same (this was just days before my test) and normally there was loads of it.

When we got out of the car we realised we'd forgotten to put the L-plates on blush

SuffolkNWhat Thu 13-Jun-13 09:21:15

I have very recently traded in my much beloved Corsa for a bus Zafira. I have really noticed the difference in how I'm treated on the small country roads round here, no longer do I have wankers tailgating me when I'm doing 60 on the bendy roads (my goodness that Corsa handled well).

HighInterestRat Thu 13-Jun-13 09:22:52

I've only ever had new Audis (Just because of DH's job and me only passing my test aged 26, not a boast) but as I usually have the dc in the car, I am a very granny-like careful driver and only ever stick to the speed limit. I often get tailgated, dangerously overtaken etc. I think sometimes people see a young woman behind the wheel and decide to be intimidating.

Tanith Thu 13-Jun-13 09:25:59

My brother once drove a Reliant Robin out of sheer perversity. Said it was cheap to run and he liked it (and Delboy had one wink).

He was all but run off the road at a roundabout one day and the driver of the other car decided to throw his weight around, got out of his car and prepared to have a go.

The change on his face when my 6ft, 22 stone, ex-Rugby prop brother heaved himself out of the car was something worth seeing grin

They had such a polite chat - I think he even called my brother "Sir" gringrin

HighInterestRat Thu 13-Jun-13 09:26:54

grin

PickleSarnie Thu 13-Jun-13 09:27:44

My DH used to insist this was the case snd that every time he drove my granny-blue Honda Jazz he got cut up. I thought he was being ridiculous but I've driven his big estate quite a bit recently and the difference is really noticable.

Cars will do absolutely anything not to sit behind a Jazz. Even if I'm going a little bit above the speed limit on a country road keeping up with the queue of traffic in front, cars behind me will overtake on hills and bends just to get in front of me. Regardless of the fact they're still stuck behind a queue of traffic.

. Thankfully I have decent windscreen washers to scoosh tailgaters with.

MonsterBookOfTyRexs Thu 13-Jun-13 09:27:57

I have a Peugeot 106 1.1l.
People don't get up my arse as they cant catch up ;) but as soon as dh drives with the L plates on the drivers turn into knobs!
Dh is a better driver than me and more than ready to pass his test. Only money has delayed it.

fossil971 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:28:50

I've downsized my car this year from a big estate to a Seat Ibiza. The reason for getting the Ibiza is that it's a bit more of a boy-racer car (well the Cupra's are) than a Micra or Fiesta and I thought it might not have "lady driver cut me up" written all over it. The thing is I forget I'm not in the estate so I don't always notice if someone isn't giving me room, just barge out anyway.

Also I get my revenge when I drive DH's vehicle - everyone gets out of your way in a large battered van grin

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Jun-13 09:43:20

I have only had two cars. Both Clios and both covered in pink butterfly stickers.

This obviously makes me a target for every twathead who thinks s/he is a serious driver and I should get out of the way.

Thing is my cars are old and not worth much. If you want to come up my arse in your very expensive car that will have to sit in the garage for 3 mths while they order parts, please do.

I shall just apply my break very gently every so often until you get the message to back off.

(not at speed obviously. Just when you are trying to push me to go faster on side roads and get out of your way by intimidating me)

DeWe Thu 13-Jun-13 09:48:40

Dparents used to have a large estate car, and a 2 door tiny car. Dm used to say she could tell which car she was driving by the way other cars acted round her.
If someone tailgates me, I slow down, so they can be stupid and overtake if they have a death wish, or it makes them even slower, which serves them right.

I have noticed a bit of a difference recently. My car is a Peugeot 206, and DP's is a Ford Focus so a bit bigger than mine. But I do see a difference in attitude depending on what I drive. But I'm confident in my driving so I can't say I've had much of a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now