To be on Tina's side in Cornation Street

(101 Posts)
CelticPixie Wed 12-Jun-13 20:26:07

I just want her to take that baby and run as far away as she can from the hideously rough and dis functional Armstrong/Windass family. Gary and Izzy rushed into the surrogacy without thinking it through properly and their relationship is not stable. Owen is well dodgy, Auntie Katy is a selfish cow who walked out on her lovely boyfriend and father of her son for a bad boy, Anna is a fishwife and then there is Faye the spawn of Satan. I can't blame Tina for deciding she doesn't want the baby to go to them after all. He'll be dragged up, poor thing.

It's sad how involved in this storyline I've become actually. How dare Anna speak to Rita like that!

Bearbehind Wed 12-Jun-13 21:25:12

Bugger- I know it's not real but why, if she can stand up, is that the only time I can ever recall her doing it? she still gets on my wick though

Sparklymommy Wed 12-Jun-13 21:25:46

I too am on Tina's side. I could not be a surrogate for the simple reason that I know once I had carried a child and given birth to it I couldn't hand it over.

Tina was pressured into this arrangement by bully boy Owen, who saw a vulnerable young woman desperate for cash and chose to use her to get what he wanted for his daughter who chooses not to carry a child herself. In real life I do not believe that the time scale would be so quick. Izzy only had her miscarriage a matter of weeks before Tina was impregnated with the child. And a first miscarriage at that.

I had ten miscarriages between dd1 and ds1. It was after the tenth that I seriously started to consider other ways of expanding our family, looking into adoption as an option. I didn't do this lightly and eventually dh persuaded me to give it one more try. So glad I did because the next pregnancy I had was Ds1, followed swiftly by ds2 and dd2.

This storyline just seems so rushed and almost unnecessary. Izzy was told when she had her mc that there was no reason why she couldn't carry a child. It was HER decision not to have another attempt. She chose instead to put her trust and hope into Tina, a young woman without children of her own who would not know how she would feel once she had given birth. A risky decision to say the very least!

NachoAddict Wed 12-Jun-13 21:26:05

I'm torn, I like tina but the baby is Gary and Izzy's and she should give it to them.

I couldn't hand over a baby I have carried bit that is why I would never be a surrogate.

Could Gary as the father have the same rights to access as any other dad even if tina keeps the baby?

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 12-Jun-13 21:27:52

What do you mean it's not real shock????

gordyslovesheep Wed 12-Jun-13 21:28:47

it's not Tina's baby - it's Izzy'z and Gary's

I get that you don't like the family but I am not sure why Tina is a better mother than Izzy?

neither womens partners or families are saintly

Pigsmummy Wed 12-Jun-13 21:35:20

Who's egg was used?

VitoCorleone Wed 12-Jun-13 21:35:28

To be fair Izzy was told she could carry and give birth to a baby, so i dont know why she chose to go with a surrogate.

Im team Tina. And watching this has reminded me why i could never be a surrogate, i couldnt hand a baby over that id carried and given birth to.

Bearbehind Wed 12-Jun-13 21:38:24

I must have missed that Izzy could physically carry a child. Why did she keep saying if she could have carried it she would have? I like her even less now.

gordyslovesheep Wed 12-Jun-13 21:38:28

Izzy's egg (I thought)

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 12-Jun-13 21:41:03

Another vote for Tina. But why she would want to keep a baby with Windass genes is another matter...

The baby is legally Tina's, Gary and Izzy would have been told the possible outcomes ...

apostropheuse Wed 12-Jun-13 21:41:14

Izzy was told she could carry a child. She didn't want to try again as she said she couldn't go through having another miscarriage. Gary tried to persuade her to try again but she refused, so they decided on surrogacy.

MsVestibule Wed 12-Jun-13 21:44:28

Yes, Izzy's egg and Gary's sperm. I'd forgotten that Tina and Tommy had sex just before the implantation of the fertilized egg, so that'll be how she gets to keeps the baby guilt free. (Nearly 30 years of CS addiction/experience gives me the confidence to know that this is the case.)

Izzy could carry a child, but with her condition, it's pretty risky. Anyway, where would this storyline be if she decided to do it herself!

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Wed 12-Jun-13 21:48:55

Team Tina!!

scaevola Wed 12-Jun-13 21:55:31

Izzy has EDS, and the storyline about her PG was badly handled - it would certainly have been consultant led care, and there is a rather higher than typical chance of not going to term. Some women with EDS cannot carry a PG far enough along for the baby to survive outside the uterus, so it wasn't a clear choice for Izzy, as there was no way to tell whether she would indeed carry a PG far enough for successful outcome.

Also, EDS is an autosomal dominant genetic condition. There is no telling in advance how far someone would be affected (Katie lives a normal life). Izzy and Gary did apparently go for genetic screening, but Corrie case not to air anything about the heritable component of EDS.

Ruby1080 Wed 12-Jun-13 22:26:09

As someone who's had IVF, I've found the whole storyline ridiculous from the start. It was a matter of a few weeks from deciding they were going to do it to Tina being pregnant. No mention of synchronising Tina and Izzy's cycles - Izzy just went to have her eggs collected one day and that was that.

I think the storyline's done a great disservice to surrogacy, with most of the characters treating it as something weird and referring to the baby as Tina's, when it's not. I think they had a chance to raise awareness but have just sensationalised the issue and perpetuated the idea of "freakiness" around it.

blackbirdatglanmore Wed 12-Jun-13 22:45:10

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph, Ruby.

valiumredhead Wed 12-Jun-13 22:58:25

Team Tina in this housegrin

its a stupid storyline, its not her baby she will be homeless single mother, bringing up a baby that's not her, Gary would get visitation rights under law as he is father poor izzy gets no rights even though she is babies mum. In real life how would the child feel when he finds out gary and izzy are his parents and Tina kept him away from them, oh and she did it for money.

valiumredhead Wed 12-Jun-13 23:08:55

It's a fab story linegrin

Panzee Wed 12-Jun-13 23:11:36

Anna should have been the surrogate. She's young enough and has had children before, so she would know what's in store.

NotYoMomma Wed 12-Jun-13 23:16:47

Team Izzy here!

elliejjtiny Wed 12-Jun-13 23:43:47

Izzy's EDS is severe. I have mild EDS and I've had 3 miscarriages and a premature birth. Pregnancy with severe EDS is very risky.

WestieMamma Thu 13-Jun-13 00:42:45

I have mild EDS and have an 8 week old baby. This is the first I've heard about it causing problems with pregnancy other than the extreme PGP from about 8 weeks and still going. shock

scaevola Thu 13-Jun-13 08:26:31

Anna Windass, according to Corriepedia, was born in 1967 so was probably excluded from surrogacy on age. Though there's more flexibility for within families, I think it cuts off even for family at 45.

hamilton75 Thu 13-Jun-13 08:35:40

The thing I don't understand is that they seem to think Gary would have no legal rights and that's just not correct. If/when he goes to court and proves he is the father/gets parental responsibility then on the face of it he will have a much in the way of a legal right to the child as Tina does.

Fathers do get to bring up children in this day and age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now