to think its a bit rough to lump Daddy Pig in with Homer Simpson in the deadbeat dad stakes?

(38 Posts)
quesadilla Wed 12-Jun-13 12:31:47

Article in today's Times about parents resenting the negative portrayal of dads as lazy, beer-guzzling incompetents who can't do anything more challenging than changing channels etc. (Can't link as don't have subscription).
Then there's a big sidebar piece on Daddy Pig as an example of a lazy, incompetent Dad.
Now, maybe I'm being oversensitive and yes, Daddy Pig can be a bit pompous and self-important and is rubbish at DIY and map-reading but Homer is a borderline alcoholic who couldn't run a pissup in brewery and is several leagues of magnitude worse.....

gordyslovesheep Wed 12-Jun-13 19:53:15

yes I don't see Homer as a bad dad - he adores his kids - he's loyal, he works and he loves his wife

HappyHippyChick Wed 12-Jun-13 19:54:26

I love daddy pig. He isn't useless, in the DIY episode he cracks the wall but then mends it, plasters and paints.

He has a good job, cooks, is a hands on dad and is very tolerant of his in-laws. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He organised breakfast in bed, a gift, babysitters and a night out for mummy pigs birthday and is full of surprises (plays an instrument, dives like Tom Daley and is a champion muddy puddle jumper).

I am a fan of daddy pig blush and possibility watch too much peppa pig!

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Wed 12-Jun-13 19:57:31

Right...

FoxyRevenger Wed 12-Jun-13 19:58:35

My BIL is the spitting image of Daddy Pig.

Irrelevant, but true.

FourEyesGood Wed 12-Jun-13 19:58:41

He's also endlessly patient with Peppa being really irritating.

Ezza1 Wed 12-Jun-13 20:18:20

Yanbu. Daddy Pig is a bit of an expert at being a good dad.

Lots of good things to say about Homer and Daddy Pig. They may not be perfect Dads, but they are in there doing their best.

TBH I think the Times and Daily Mail are being over-sensationalist. Why such criticism when there is (arguably) such a lack of positive representations of fathers elsewhere in the media? At the end of the day, they are cartoons. When we are laughing, are we laughing at them, or with them? I know OH (and quite a few other dads) find Homer amusing, not offensive.

And what about the other dads, (Stupid) Flanders, Milhouse's Dad, Side Show Bob, in the Simpsons? Daddy Sheep/Rabbit/Zebra etc in Peppa Pig.

Flanders could be seen as an ideal dad. But without Homer, there would be much less comedy. Do we warm to him, like we warm to Homer?

Who, or what, would be a good cartoon role model dad?

Perhaps it's time for a Homer/Daddy Pig backlash!

crewcutandnewt.com/2013/06/13/homer-and-daddy-pig-let-the-backlash-begin/

Homer is one of the 20th C's great philosophers, & I quote,

'Beer, the cause of & the answer to, all of life's problems'

'Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. '

'Dear Lord.. The gods have been good to me. For the first time in my life, everything is absolutely perfect just the way it is. So here's the deal: You freeze everything the way it is, and I won't ask for anything more. If that is OK, please give me absolutely no sign. OK, deal. '

'Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.'

'Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love! '

Mind you - Daddy Pig is always amusing in his interactions with people from other countries, I especially enjoy his assertion that any tongue other than English is 'talking nonsense', despite previous convictions of proficiency.

GoshAnneGorilla Fri 14-Jun-13 01:25:27

Daddy Pig is wonderful, not least for that gorgeous voice. blush

ShinyPenny Fri 14-Jun-13 02:17:41

They're neither deadbeat dads, and Daddy Pig is an excellent father.
Good job, home in time for dinner & bedtime every day, cooks, hoovers, does an equal amount of childcare, fundraises for the school even!

Daddy Pig plays drums and accordion.
Plus ballet and puddle jumping and diving.
And won the parent leg of the child/parent relay.
He can cook, bake, lay bricks, plaster and paint.
He can coach basketball and plays 5-a-side football
He can climb up trees (but not down).
Despite being scared of heights he accompanied his children on fair rides.
He can mend car washers and computers by rebooting them.
He loves his family, shares family tasks equally and is good humoured and gracious.
It is outrageous to say he is not a good dad.

Elquota Sat 15-Jun-13 20:55:03

Daddy Pig is great! He has a good work-life balance.

Sparklymommy Sat 15-Jun-13 20:57:28

Daddy pig reminds me of my dh. Homer Simpson does not. End of story!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now