to think if something is illegal then you don't bloody do it?

(100 Posts)

I know of someone who texts while they drive and I am annoyed everytime I think about it. Isn't it illegal to use your phone and drive?

He also speeds on occasion, should I report him?

LoSiento Tue 11-Jun-13 19:12:09

And by the same token, some things that are illegal may be the moral thing to do in some circumstances.

catgirl1976 Tue 11-Jun-13 19:16:57

I don't consider something being illegal a valid reason in isolation not to do something

VerySmallSqueak Tue 11-Jun-13 19:19:24

Not so sure about your statement that if something is illegal you don't bloody do it. Can't say that's been my mantra,anyhow.

But texting and driving is madness surely?

I would have a word and tell the person that sooner or later they will get caught,or far worse,cause an accident where someone is hurt. No doubt they would tell me to mind my own,but can't see there's a lot else can be done here.

OwlinaTree Tue 11-Jun-13 19:20:20

I agree catgirl. You should believe that it is a bad thing to do and have understanding of rights and responsibilities.

Unfortunately, not everyone does think of others, so we have to laws to think for them.

catgirl1976 Tue 11-Jun-13 19:33:18

Yes

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

grin

aldiwhore Tue 11-Jun-13 19:36:09

In response to your title BeetleBugBaby YABU. Some laws are stupid, incorrect and a person should always break laws that are inherently wrong (no blacks on this section of the bus, for example).

On the other hand, in reference to the 'meat' of your example, YANBU. Breaking the speed limit is one thing, driving and texting is dangerous, seriously dangerous for not just the driver but passengers and other road users and I have no time for people who are so blaze with common sense and safety.

Speeding CAN be judged, so that risk is lesser (I've broken the limit on long straight quiet roads at times) but texting whilst driving is always something only an utter dickhead does.

My DH works objectively in the area of traffic policing (ie he's not a cop) and I have lost count of the amount of times he tells me about the day's fatal RTA where one of the drivers was texting, so much so that I think it's THE killer at present, obviously I only have anecdotal evidence to go on and that's worth nowt.

I do know that for Traffic Police it is an absolute pet hate amongst most of them, for good reason (they have to mop up the mess) and it's unnecessary, and involves injury or death to people other than the prat breaking the law. The same could be said of speeding in some contexts but not all.

GraduateofPoorComp Tue 11-Jun-13 19:38:27

Re the general concept: I am thinking of collecting some poppy seeds from local waste ground when they ripen. I know it is illegal but I don't think it is wrong iyswim.

OwlinaTree Tue 11-Jun-13 19:38:55

constant checking of phones and mumsnet it's FOMO

AKAK81 Wed 12-Jun-13 10:37:49

Yes should definitely report him for speeding. I suggest you dial 999

specialsubject Wed 12-Jun-13 11:09:05

speeding is never ok. Who do you think you are?

BTW if you do 80mph on the motorway, don't bloody whine about the cost of fuel. Drag goes up as square of speed so you are wasting loads of the stuff.

burberryqueen Wed 12-Jun-13 11:12:47

fgs yes phone 999 and report him for speeding, sure they wil take you very seriously.
not that i agree with speeding but that is not the point.

AKAK81 Wed 12-Jun-13 11:14:42

I beg to differ. Nothing wrong with exceeding the speed limit in the right conditions/circumstances. I generally do more than 80 on the motorway and couldn't give a shit about fuel consumption.

SpooMoo Wed 12-Jun-13 11:17:46

In response to paradise - crashes at high speed on motorways are more likely to end in death. Not a 'meh' scenario. Texting and driving is never OK.

OTTMummA Wed 12-Jun-13 11:24:36

You think that's bad, I saw someone eating a big mac whilst driving yesterday.

AKAK81 Wed 12-Jun-13 11:25:45

Have you got the stats for that? I'd much rather crash at 80 on the mway than at 60 on a country A road.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 11:26:07

to think if something is illegal then you don't bloody do it? - YABU.

As Catgirl said Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Texting while actually driving - fucking stupid

Texting while at traffic lights/in a traffic jam - really don't see the issue

Speeding - depends on the road/situation.

YOU getting in a lather and wanting to report someone for going 10 miles over the limit while chauffering you around... definitely unreasonable & incredibly twattish!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 12-Jun-13 11:27:49

I do think a lot of the 'OMG I saw someone doing this' is a reaction from either non drivers or nervous drivers.

charleyturtle Wed 12-Jun-13 11:28:57

my stepdad has a speed camera detecter in his car but it doesnt pick up the hand held ones and he gets really angry whenever he gets caught speeding and blames the detecter. i always wonder why he doesn't just not speed and avoid getting caught out the logical way.

KobayashiMaru Wed 12-Jun-13 11:35:22

I don't think that things being legal or not should be the arbiter of morality. You shouldn't text while driving because its stupid and its dangerous, not because its illegal.

AKAK81 Wed 12-Jun-13 11:35:58

SpooMoo the stats say you're wrong. Only 6% of all road deaths are on the mway vs 52% in non mway, non built up areas. As for serious injuries only 3% occurred on mways.

Additionally 2.6% of all injuries on non mway, non built up areas were fatal vs 1.3% of all motorway injuries being fatal.

To summarise - High speed crashes on the mway are LESS likely to end in death.

Sparklingbrook Wed 12-Jun-13 11:45:17

I agree. There was a hoo-ha on the news this morning about a certain box junction camera raking in a fortune in fines, and also driving in bus lanes.

It is raking in a fortune because of the numptys driving in bus lanes and blocking box junctions. confused

IRCL Wed 12-Jun-13 13:18:23

I don't know why you didn't say anything? Especially if your children are in the car?

I hate seeing people on the phone whilst driving I secretly hope the police are lurking somewhere to catch them.

My sister lives on a busy residential area. Schools, train crossings and what not, the limit is 20mph, the amount of people speeding down there when the children are coming out is ridiculous. Really annoys me but if the police don't see then they get away with it.

A friends partner used to drive like a dick when we went out, I don't mean breaking the limit by going 5 or 10 mph over more like 30...also tried overtaking on risky roads. I refused to go anywhere with them after that, I genuinely worried about dying when a passenger.

He recently rolled his car due to his irresponsible driving, no sympathy what so ever for him. I just hope now he has a child he drives differently.

That turned into quite a rant there. Sorry. [Blush]

IRCL Wed 12-Jun-13 13:21:05

I'm a learner driver at the moment by the way. grin

kim147 Wed 12-Jun-13 13:21:08

Technically it's illegal to use a phone if you're stuck in traffic.

But if you were stuck in a massive queue which was not moving, I'd bet some of you (me too) would use the phone to make a quick call or text to say we were late.

MTBMummy Wed 12-Jun-13 13:23:18

If you can get a photo of someone texting/ using their mobile while driving and get their license plate in the picture, the police will actually contact and fine them.

I often get a dozen or so when doing motorway trips (as a passenger)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now