this horror film poster is too scary to be put up in general view on the street?

(106 Posts)
theaub Mon 03-Jun-13 06:39:03

So as presumably you wouldn't take your preschool age child to see a 15-cert horror film... shouldn't they also be safe being frightened by an image from the film on a massive advert put up in their local street? It's a poster for a violent horror film called 'The Purge'.

The poster is here. ( http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/purge-2013-1) You might not find the grinning skull/mask pic too frightening as a little thumbnail pic but trust me, my husband and I were scared by it when walking past it when blown up to full size on a phone box! Luckily our DD happened to be asleep in the pram at the time. Also the strap line is really scary for kids that are old enough to read: ' for one night, ALL crime is legal'.. or something along those lines.

To me, showing this poster image on the street is valuing the commercial interests of cinemas showing scary films to adults, above the rights of kids (and adults like me who don't watch horror) to use our local streets without being frightened?

That horrible skull mask face is plastered full size all over a phone box on our local main road. its in full view of several bus routes, the ad is in front of residential blocks of flats which line the road, right near our local preschool and en route to the local primary. Lots of kids/people will not be able to avoid seeing it. As it is I will have to take a different route to my local shops to avoid freaking out my kid. I am livid- we have to go out of our way (literally) to avoid this.

I have complained to the Advertising Standards Authority via their website over the weekend, and await their reply. Just feel like ads on phone boxes in particular tend to stay up for months and the harm is being done already. Cant understand whoever passed this one as OK thinking its reasonable in a public environment. I know what is scary is subjective but surely where there is any doubt, protecting kids should come first?

theaub Mon 03-Jun-13 06:42:44

Oops sorry, butterfingers... That should have read.. 'Safe FROM being frightened...' !

theaub Mon 03-Jun-13 06:46:16

www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/purge-2013-1

Apols again.. you might also want the link to the poster image to be live, oops!

NumTumDeDum Mon 03-Jun-13 06:47:29

I know the one you mean. It is horrible and I think you have a point. I have Love Film and I was scrolling through the films and the picture for the Human Centipede came up. It disturbed me for ages afterwards and I'm an adult. I'm no Mary Whitehouse but the posters and promotion material for these films could be toned down a bit when on prominent display.

Tee2072 Mon 03-Jun-13 06:49:18

Are you and your husband particularly sensitive? Because I don't think it's all that scary.

In fact I think it's a bit like a clown face, that sort of exaggerated mouth, without the make up.

AllYoursBabooshka Mon 03-Jun-13 06:50:32

It looks like Tony Blair.

You may have a point!

tethersend Mon 03-Jun-13 06:53:30

Having seen the phone box ads, YANBU at all.

Really, really inappropriate street furniture.

ItsYonliMe Mon 03-Jun-13 06:53:42

I think your attitude to the poster would scare your baby much more than the poster would.

I also think children will laugh if you suggest that it's a scary looking poster.

NumTumDeDum Mon 03-Jun-13 06:55:15

Possibly Tee I've got issues with clown faces because of Stephen King's IT. Interestingly, certainly anecdotally at least, most people I know find clowns sinister. I accept a lot of people equally wouldn't have a problem with it.

KvassInTheNight Mon 03-Jun-13 06:57:52

I agree, its not a poster i would want my kids to see. YANBU.

EdwiniasRevenge Mon 03-Jun-13 06:58:01

I can see your point. My dd3 (7) who is, admittedly sensitive, but imo not out of the 'normal' range for a 7yo would have nightmares about that image. I don't thinkvthe wording would be an issue for her (but then she wouldn't hang around to read it as she would be noticeably upset by the image).

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 03-Jun-13 07:04:35

I have been in London this week (without the kids) and thought exactly the same thing. Luckily we live in the back of beyond, but I would have gone out of my way to avoid it too.

I also think the one with the little pale boy with blood coming out of both nostrils is completely inappropriate and nearly gave me nightmares, let alone a child.

BeetleBugBaby Mon 03-Jun-13 07:07:08

I think sod the poster, what a truly horrific idea for a film!

BeetleBugBaby Mon 03-Jun-13 07:07:08

I think sod the poster, what a truly horrific idea for a film!

Boomba Mon 03-Jun-13 07:13:04

Completely agree

I get angry with posters for action films, with gun firing heroes, as I live in an area where there is gun and knife crime

I rip posters off phone boxes, if I see them.

Morloth Mon 03-Jun-13 07:31:16

That looks like a fucking terrifying film, because it ALMOST sounds like a good idea at first...

I was happier before I found out about it!

PearlyWhites Mon 03-Jun-13 07:48:31

Yanbu I found the poster disturbing as an adult

Smudging Mon 03-Jun-13 07:56:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorthernLurker Mon 03-Jun-13 08:14:11

I agree that looks like Tony Blair. Aside from that, yes it's scary and my 6 yr old won't be happy at all if we see it.

MrsWolowitz Mon 03-Jun-13 08:20:33

YANBU.

I loathe horror films.

There was an advert for a scary film on TV months ago and it showed a man crying and disappearing back into a wall or something. Anyway, no idea what it was about but I found it scary. I mentioned it in conversation with my mum one day and she said that she'd seen it too and was too scared to go and pick her washing in that night. I accept that we are wimps grin

Be that as it may, I choose to avoid scary things so why the actual Jeff should scary images be put on main stream TV and on big posters when some people really don't like it?

foolmouse Mon 03-Jun-13 08:24:21

Really? Really? Am I missing something here? That poster isn't scary at all. It was near a bus stop I was stood at yesterday with my DC. They're 2 and 3 and they weren't scared then again they like Marilyn Manson but still. It's just a weird mask, do you hide them away at Halloween as well?

When I first heard about the film I thought the concept sounded quite interesting actually and wondered if that could be a good idea. Then when I thought about it in detail, no it's really not. Worrying that I even considered it.

Itsaboatjack Mon 03-Jun-13 08:25:28

YANBU. I knew which film you meant before I even opened this.

It scared my 3yr old when we walked past it. I'd not noticed it, it was on a phone box, she screamed then ran the other side of me to hide from it screaming scary scary. She got over it quite quickly but I don't want her to see it again.

ScarletLady02 Mon 03-Jun-13 08:29:37

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't think it's scary or disturbing at all. I can understand I'd feel different if my child had been scared by it, but my DD (2.5) plays with my Stephen King books all the time and some of them have scary pictures on them....doesn't bother her at all, if they did I'd put them on higher shelves <<awaits flaming>>

I've always been a horror nut, even from a young age with my Point Horror books grin

Birdsgottafly Mon 03-Jun-13 08:42:17

It is a good subject for a film.

I love horror films, so do my children (15-27) and we will go to see this on the pictures, but the range of horror, is on the increase and we do need to think about the advertising that goes on general display.

I saw this poster in Cardiff, the clown costume displayed in the window of the fancy dress shop is much more scary, but, at least you can aviod the shop, the telephone boxes are right in the middle of the pedestrian pavement.

There is more more disturbing (and sexual) imagery around that used to be when i was growing up and even when my children were little, it is unneccesary and something that we need to keep under check.

Ilovemyself Mon 03-Jun-13 08:46:26

A child normally picks up its fears from its parents. Don't act scared/upset and they probably won't even notice.

It's like food - if you say eurgh horrible the kids will probably not like the food.

If you ban ads for horror films what next? If your child finds Barney scary do you ban that as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now