Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask why so many people kill spiders

(108 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Sun 26-May-13 20:40:58

What is so scary about them.

They make the most amazing webs and these webs catch flys.

loopylou6 England Tue 28-May-13 15:04:17

dh is terrified of spiders, I'm terrified of moths. I would never kill either tho, I deal with the spiders using the cup and paper method, dh deals with the moths.

I don't understand how people can so readily squash creatures sad

( I do consider, wasps, fair game because they'll sting me, mozzies coz they'll bite me, and big fat blue bottles coz they wanna be sick all over my food and lay maggots, but even then I try and tempt them out the door before I'm forced to splat them)

HopALongMcLimpyLegs Tue 28-May-13 15:10:55

I don't kill spiders, I just scoop them up and put them out the window. Wasps however, can all fuck off, and I will kill every last one of them that comes into my house.

jamdonut Tue 28-May-13 15:37:24

See, I can deal with bees.They're daft and will go were you direct them.

Wasps I'm more wary of because of their persistance. But I always try to waft them out of the house, unless they are too angry. Then they have to be swatted.

I'm not afraid of flies,but I don't like the pesky buzzing bluebottles. I don't kill them though.

I abhor moths, but also butterflies. Not in the same way as moths, because they tend have horrible hairy bodies and eyes that glint in the dark (uuurgh [shudders]).

I like to see butterflies, and I will get up close and look at them where they've landed, but if they are flying anywhere near me I will have a fit of the screaming ab-dabs. I have NO idea where this fear cam from. I tried to go into a Butterly World with DH and kids, when they were younger, but I had to get out fast!! DH thought I was stark staring mad!

I also can't stand ladybirds, because they're horrible when they're flying,or any other type of beetle,centipede or millipede. Its all to do with the legs.

I hate it when we do about minibeasts at at school. I try hard not to pass my fear on, but inside I am recoiling!!

The worst time was when we had an expert visit with a hissing cockroach,giant millipede, Giant African Land Snail and some other creatures I don't want to remember. I just stood back and tried to smile and look interested.blush I was fine with the snake ,though!

5Foot5 Tue 28-May-13 17:02:13

jamdonut I am the same as you with moths and butterflies. I think it is the flutteriness of them. Never really been able to analyse it but I have always had this fear. Totally irrational I know but there it is.

Once when DD was a toddler a HUGE butterfly got in the house and we were trapped in the living room as the butterfly was in the hall. It was nearly time for DH to come home but I wanted to make sure he would come straight home to deal with the creature and not stop chatting. However, the phone was in the hall with the killer butterfly and my mobile was in the kitchen. In the end I had to climb out of the living room window and go round to the kitchen to get my mobile as I simply daren't go through the hall.

Poor little DD looked a bit bewildered when Mummy started bailing out through the window!

loopylou6 England Tue 28-May-13 17:32:23

see, now like I said, I'm TERRIFIED of moths, but butterflies dont bother me at all [ confused]

jamdonut Wed 29-May-13 11:22:32

It is reassuring to know I am not the only butterfly phobic...was beginning to think It was only me!smile

freddiefrog Wed 29-May-13 11:36:58

I'm utterly terrified of moths and butterflies too.

I remember going to one of those butterfly farm places as a kid and one flying into my hair and then having a massive panic. I've been terrified ever since.

KellyElly Wed 29-May-13 11:39:42

I don't kill them because my cats do it for me - they eat them. I'm terrified of them so am more than happy for my cats to do this smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now