To not be surprised that no one used a photo booth at a wedding at £2 a time

(119 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 26-May-13 20:25:00

I went to an evening reception last night and have heard today that the bride has had a major strop as hardly any of the guests used the photo booth they booked .

It was £2 a time and you got a photo and the couple got one for their book.

I hate having my photo taken so I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it.

AIBU to think if you want wedding photos you pay for them or you don't sulk if others don't want to spend £2 a pop on a shitty passport photo.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 26-May-13 22:34:45

We went to a wedding that had a photo booth for £3 at it - loved it, lots of silly posing with hats and stuff. Not the end of the world, it's not obligatory to partake.

Why the assumption that it's the "bridezilla's" idea, though? Are men really not assumed to have had any say in their nuptials??

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 22:37:52

I've been to a couple of weddings with a photo booth, and honestly think it is worth the money the B&G spent on it - there was such a buzz around it, it doubled up as a guest book, ass we stuck our photos in and wrote messages to the B&G on it. Perfect! However, I have never known it to be chargeable. I would be pretty put out at having to pay £2 a time. In my opinion, if the B&G want it, they pay for it.

foslady Sun 26-May-13 22:41:02

Hmmmmm..............going back in time.........

'Oh Mrh2B, I've been to a wedding fair and they have this great ides - you get a photo booth, lots of silly props and people all have funny photos taken, it's great, I want one'

'No way, crap idea and we've no money for it'

'So we charge people to use it - we'll soon cover the £500 cost'

'Well you can find the cash for it when it doesn't work.....'

Travel forward in time to day after wedding...

'Bloody told you so................'

Booyhoo Sun 26-May-13 22:41:03

i would have used it. i mean £2 quid is nothing when you're at a wedding reception paying a fortune on drink. how much was a glass of wine?

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 22:41:16

Laquitar it is so so much more than a standard photobooth. Massive box of props including wigs, animal heads, glasses etc, and hilarious watching the bride and her maids all trying to squeeze in.

SarahAndFuck Sun 26-May-13 22:52:05

If they had props like bowler hats and those moustaches on sticks they would have made loads of money out of me. They'd have had to prise me (and DS if they'd invited him) out of that booth with a stick.

They really should be free though.

I've seen the idea on poncy blogs and issues of crafty type magazines and you really need the sort of friends who want to go to a outdoor meadow and woodland wedding where the bride had all the womenfolk of her acquaintance gather to handcraft her bouquet instead of having a hen party and the groom and his friends all grew a handle bar moustache and knitted their own bow ties on their stag party held in a mates stable. But they would at least all have personalised hip flasks to keep them company.

All the bridesmaids would be dressed in vintage pastels and would have dyed their hair in pale pink and green and yellow to match and the guests would have to find the wedding via a series of treasure hunt clues.

And when they made it to the photo booth, they would all write a series of thoughtful haiku's on little blackboards shaped like toadstools and vintage spectacles, telling the story of how they met the bride and groom and what they wish for them for the future. All in seventeen hand-knitted syllables.

And then they would eat cupcakes and retro sweets and tiny sandwiches from mismatched crockery while someone else took photos for a poncy blog and crafty magazine.

Nobody really has that sort of wedding, because most people don't have that sort of family. Mine would all be sitting there giving the props the swivel eye and wondering when we were going to admit we were having them on and just get the booze and proper food out.

Bearbehind Sun 26-May-13 23:03:51

That's part of the problem IMO booyhoo the drinks were expensive anyway, we were only there because of this couple's wedding, and were still expected to pay £2 a go for a photo 'to help make their day memorable'

Booyhoo Sun 26-May-13 23:09:07

i think they were UR expecting you to use it. i think they should have been prepared to accept that some would and some wouldn't at it would be unlikely that they'd have the whole cost covered by guests. if i was to do it i'd have it for free as a novelty with no expectation that people would use it- just if they wanted to for a bit of a laugh.

but i would definitely use it even at £2 a pop if i attended a wedding. it's only £2. i'd spend far more on drink so i'd probably need the photo to remind me i was actually there grin

pigletmania Sun 26-May-13 23:11:06

It's not a bad price, you don't have to use it. The bride is being very unreasonable getting into a strop because not many used it. If they wanted pictures of the guests, they could ave asked uncle Norman to take random pictures if guests, or put disposable cameras on the tables

We put £500 behind the bar at our wedding (admittedly over a decade ago) and it didn't all get spent (we were astonished given some of our guests, but it was in line with what the venue had told us was likely to happen -- by that point they'd had a pre-dinner drink and wine with dinner and people just didn't order that much extra. And our biggest-drinking guests went off and climbed trees and moved traffic cones about and so forth, which presumably distracted them from drinking as much as usual).

Snazzywaitingforsummer Sun 26-May-13 23:18:42

compos I agree that drink on arrival and for the toasts, but then having a cash bar, is the norm in my experience, and it's what I did. Hope you and your beloved have a fabulous day!

Going back to the booth issue, it also now seems particularly odd to me given that almost everyone takes 'natural' unstuffy photos all the time on their camera phones and would be doing this at the wedding - these would also be shareable with the B&G, so why pay out to do something you can do for free anyway? I can sort of see why the props might make it seem more fun, especially if you were with good friends, but maybe that wasn't the case here.

Snazzywaitingforsummer Sun 26-May-13 23:21:06

SarahandFuck grin I'm sure I have actually read that wedding story, or if not, I'd like to.

TotallyBursar Sun 26-May-13 23:22:19

To be quite honest - if I couldn't afford to provide sufficient food for guests that have paid in time and money to give us the pleasure of being surrounded by the people we love on a day that is important to us but not really to anyone else;
that had bought us gifts, that had travelled, got holiday, yada yada the last thing I would do is hire something like that. That money could go on food/booze.
Providing that is a thank you from us to them. Heartfelt hopefully. It is a celebration, feed people properly if you are having a meal.

Asking for cash gifts, inviting to the very limit of the budget in order to rake more in from guest obligation, covering the expense of a superfluous periphery by charging underfed guests to use it are the marks of greed & wanting a wedding day themed cash party not a marriage witnessed by the people that mean most in your life. They couldn't afford stuff but invited work colleagues. Priorities are fairly self centred then.

If I did this I would feel like a massive twat.
If I went to wedding I would be thinking 'you are greedy beggars', if I went to a wedding with a wishing well or dollar dance they can fuck right off. I would discharge my guestly duties, leave promptly & wonder how the hell we ended up with an invite we accepted.
If the bride threw a bitch fit about having to shock pay shock for something they wanted? I would feel our presence celebrating & honouring them was really fucking appreciated.

Bearbehind Sun 26-May-13 23:27:41

totally were you at a wedding reception last night because you've pretty much summed it up wink

TotallyBursar Mon 27-May-13 00:04:34

Is this the time for a 'I've seen it all before' cynical nod then?! grin

I guess it depends on whether you think it is an honour to have your guests support you or if you feel you deserve a bucket full of notes because it's such a fucking privilege to be in the same room as you on 'the bride's big day' hmm (I never know if that means the groom doesn't care or is not allowed something as dangerous to the bride's vision as an opinion in the mind of the speaker of such delightful phrases).

I'm not even in a bad mood! These things just irk me.
I got a 'pay to come & give us more money' poem once.
Once.

TotallyBursar Mon 27-May-13 00:05:06

Ha so irked I forgot how to punctuate! blush

TheCraicDealer Mon 27-May-13 00:15:17

DP and I went to a wedding last weekend, the bride told us there was a bouncy castle outside and she was gutted no-one was using it. Initially I thought, "what a shit idea". After a bottle of rosé I'd managed to drag DP, two colour sergeants and their wives onto it, I was like the bloody pied piper.

Had there been someone shaking a tin at me before we got on I probably wouldn't have bothered and just got another drink instead!

piprabbit Mon 27-May-13 00:23:37

Back in the day when we got married, we put disposable cameras on the tables, everyone took bloody stupid pictures of themselves for free and I got to use the resulting album as blackmail fodder for many moons.
So I can see that the photo booth photos could be fun, but I still wouldn't want to pay for the pleasure.

TalkUsernameYoudLike Mon 27-May-13 00:24:17

My dp told me that when he was a little boy, he went to this wedding that had disposable cameras on the tables and no one was using them, so he gathered them all up and took pictures of guests picking their nose, yawning, eating.. just taking any opportunity to take a picture of the guests looking bored!

God, I bet that bride was pissed off.

piprabbit Mon 27-May-13 00:25:47

Talk sounds like there wasn't enough booze flowing.

TalkUsernameYoudLike Mon 27-May-13 00:28:10

TotallyBursar That's exactly my thinking!

TalkUsernameYoudLike Mon 27-May-13 00:30:10

piprabbit I know grin

ComposHat Mon 27-May-13 00:30:51

I went to the worst wedding ever last year. We'd travelled from Scotland to the south coast of England to attend it.

1) Got to the registry office and found that there wasn't enough seats, so kicked around the carpark for 40 minutes.

2)Bridesmaid had a hissy fit and refused to attend the service.

3) Said bridesmaid got 'refreshed' at a nearby pub and then turned up for the photos and preceded to verbally lay into assembled family members.

4) The reception: no welcome drink whatsoever, only a very expensive hours of standing around waiting for god knows what, no welcome drink, no speeches, no one said 'thanks for coming,'

5) crap food that had been bought from Tesco the day before and had slowly been festering in a warm room, and to add insult to injury, a DJ who thought he was doing a summer season in Pontins circa 1974. But to cap it all there was a fucking wishing well at the door. It felt like you had to pay to come in and to be frank, I wish I'd turned around at that point and got the next train back to Scotland.

It was an invaluable lesson on how not to organise a wedding.

SirRaymondClench Mon 27-May-13 00:34:08

YADNBU
If I'd wanted detailed photos of my guests inner arses, I would have asked for them personally.

piprabbit Mon 27-May-13 00:34:57

I think some people organise a wedding with the pleasure and comfort of their guests as the priority, and other people don't. But you can't tell which is which until you get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now