Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand why anyone would not wear a car seatbelt?

(90 Posts)
kim147 Sun 26-May-13 17:16:24

Saw a car leaving the supermarket car park. It was a child zone but we can ignore that for the moment. grin

3 young things - bloke in front seat. No seatbelt. Girl in passenger seat was putting on belt as car drove off. Rear passenger - no belt on as drove off.

I hope they put them on as they were driving. I had a passenger recently who did not put his belt on. Should I have done? He was an adult.

Just can't understand why anyone would not wear a seatbelt.

Bogeyface Netherlands Mon 27-May-13 10:23:10

I hope he is now your ex husband?! What an asshole!

Fakebook Mon 27-May-13 10:27:24

Why wouldn't anyone wear a seatbelt? I'm shocked people wouldn't wear one! Whenever I've seen anyone get in a car, first thing they do is put their seatbelt on. I would feel naked without mine on.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 13:18:32

I have to find him before he can become an ex husband grin

I wear a seat belt in the back depending on the journey. If it is a short drive and unlikely that anyone can drive over 30 MPH (we are infested by lights and speed bumps) then i don't, the drive from my local supermarkets rarely goes over 20 MPH.

Children should always be strapped in, but i do think that adults should have the right to choose, when sat in the back, the agreement should come from the person sitting in front as well.

I don't agree with the continual beeping when you take your belt off, sometimes it is safe to do so, to take your coat off, or something and i think that the beeping can be distracting for the driver.

Seatbelts do save lives and stop injuries, but there are circumstances were they can be undone, and no harm is going to come to the passenger (yes i have had tires blow out).

DeafLeopard Mon 27-May-13 13:34:39

Our drive is awkward to get off, so I don't wear my seatbelt to reverse off, but then put it on before moving off.

Those who don't wear a belt, if your car gets hit by someone else, and you get injured, you may not be able to control it to bring it to a stop.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe France Mon 27-May-13 13:39:25

Deafleopard... I think if you are THAT injured, it really won't matter whether you were wearing the belt or not and the car will be 'stopped' anyway as it will be the impact that caused the injury in the first place.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 13:50:26

Birds, you do realise that in the back of a car the danger is not so much to you but to the people in the front?

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Mon 27-May-13 14:08:57

Birds, with all due respect, that is bollocks. I don't know how anyone who has seen this can ink it ok to not wear a seatbelt in the back.

My FIL has his seat belt buckle plugged in but cut through the strap to stop the incessant beeping when he is not strapped in. He is also of the ilk that says no one can tell him what to do in his own car. Unfortunately he has brainwashed MIL to think the same.

My DD and any other future DC will never travel in their car, nor will I drive PIL anywhere. Selfish idiots. FIL does a lot of long journeys alone for work, and I dread the day we will get that phone call. It's not fair on DH or the rest of the family.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe France Mon 27-May-13 14:18:11

EduCated...yy. That is the advert that makes me wear my seatbelt with others in the car. Everytime. I'll never wear it when I'm alone.

saintmerryweather Mon 27-May-13 14:51:55

there just isnt a good reason not to wear one

ComposHat Belgium Mon 27-May-13 14:55:07

Given the risk it poses to other people, I'd like to see seatbelt law enforced more rigorously, treating it akin to speeding or drink driving. I can see no reason why someone who shows utter disregard for other people's safety, by not wearing a seatbelt shouldn't be subject to a driving ban.

ComposHat Belgium Mon 27-May-13 14:58:56

My FIL has his seat belt buckle plugged in but cut through the strap to stop the incessant beeping when he is not strapped in

In which case his car will fail its next MOT straight away and won't get another MOT until the seatbelt is replaced.

TWinklyLittleStar Mon 27-May-13 15:20:16

birds I was in the back of a stationary car as a child, old car with no belts fitted. We were hit by another car and if I had a seatbelt on I wouldn't have needed my skull stapled back together.

I have seen the aftermath of a number of crashes where it almost boggles belief that nobody was hurt. All those uninjured, lucky people were wearing their belt.

Thisvehicleisreversing Mon 27-May-13 15:35:11

A friend of mine is possibly the most dangerous driver ever.

She drives a huge car because small ones 'don't feel right' although she only uses it for school and supermarket run.

She needs glasses but won't wear them when driving confused

She never wears her seatbelt and thinks because she's a 'safe' driver she'll be fine.

When her DD was little she'd put her in the car seat with the strap really loose and only over her lap, not over the shoulders. I pointed out how dangerous it was but she just said "I'm a careful driver and anyway I don't pick up enough speed to be dangerous" Never mind that other drivers might be the danger. hmm

I won't go in her car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now