to not understand why anyone would not wear a car seatbelt?

(90 Posts)
kim147 Sun 26-May-13 17:16:24

Saw a car leaving the supermarket car park. It was a child zone but we can ignore that for the moment. grin

3 young things - bloke in front seat. No seatbelt. Girl in passenger seat was putting on belt as car drove off. Rear passenger - no belt on as drove off.

I hope they put them on as they were driving. I had a passenger recently who did not put his belt on. Should I have done? He was an adult.

Just can't understand why anyone would not wear a seatbelt.

Have you adjusted it ginger?

GrassIsntGreener Mon 27-May-13 07:50:17

I too feel naked without it. My dad even installed them in our old old car (a classic car now - it was old then, I'm 32) as children.

To the 'we never had them and were fine' argument - the roads are a lot busier now than thy used to be. People used to casually and regularly drink drive without breaking the law, doesn't make it sensible or okay to do that now, same with seatbelts.

My 4.5yo won't let me start the car until she's properly buckled in.

rumbelina Mon 27-May-13 07:50:57

It is absolutely non negotiable for anyone getting in my car. i was hit at 70mph by an out of control drunk driver when I was doing 25 and I would be so dead now if I hadn't been wearing a seatbelt. The 'I'm a really good driver' line annoys the shit out of me. Also you may want to make your own safety decisions but spare a thought for your family and the paramedics who have to scrape you off the pavement.

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 27-May-13 07:53:34

The local buses here have seat belts. And signs saying its the law to wear them. People still don't, which annoys me as it makes it unsafe for me and my DC who do wear them! In an accident they will fall all over the place and on to us, possibly causing us injuries. Winds me up.

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 27-May-13 07:54:00

Oh and I won't start my car until all seat belts are done up.

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 07:54:09

it's as adjusted as it's going to get.

I ma really short person blush

I even stoped in and asked at the police station, they couldn't help either.

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 07:56:31

sorry forgot to add, we cannot buy those adjuster thingys that attatch at the top of the seetbelt. They don't exist in South Aussie. sad

Erm. Booster seat? grin

I know what you mean, I'm quite short and feel uncomfortable after a while, but as you say, wear it anyway!

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 08:00:04

blush I have actually looked at booster seats. I got looked at quite strangely lolgrin

sashh Mon 27-May-13 08:00:50

ginger

I know what you mean, I use the seat and seat belt adjustment as a priority when picking a new car. I think they need to do booster cushions for adults.

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 08:05:06

Lol, I think Mumsnet just invented the next greatest invention. Booster Seats for Adults grin

It'll sell like sliced Bread and Hot cakes

NewAtThisMalarky Mon 27-May-13 08:06:01

My cousin was in a car accident, wearing his seatbelt.

Thankfully it broke, and he was thrown out of the car as otherwise he would have died.

But it's more likely that a seatbelt will help not hinder, so despite that accident he still wears his seatbelt.

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 27-May-13 08:06:47

Ginger, how about these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-BELT-ADJUSTERS-CLIPS-BELT-STOPS-KLUNK-KLIP-/251124359362?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a782da0c2

MinnieBar Mon 27-May-13 08:07:22

Ha, I was just going to suggest a booster seat too grin!

My GM couldn't wear one comfortably (if memory serves, she died when over twenty years ago) because she was simply too fat.

We can't now all go in the same car as MIL because we can't work out how to get the extra seats back into the boot blush but when we only had two DCs and could, every single time she'd say, 'Do I have to?' like a petulant toddler and I'd want to reply, 'Look, I don't care if you get in an accident or die, you're wearing one so I don't die, ok?'

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 27-May-13 08:07:22

You'll have to copy and past that. I haven't worked out links yet.

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 08:08:21

Next car Im going to check for
1. The adjustable seatbelt
2. A headrest that works with long hair aka wearing a bun without having to hold my head at an odd angle.
3. drives itself lol, well why not, they now make cars that can park themselves

grin

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 08:10:50

ThisWayForCrazy Darling, I love you. Mwah <3

flowers

ExcuseTypos Mon 27-May-13 08:11:01

To answer your question OP, it's because they are stupid.

I don't start my car until all seat belts are done up.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 27-May-13 08:18:47

My old boss doesnt wear a seatbelt because once he was driving down a road and a stag ran in front of him, and came through the windscreen. He managed to duck sideways as not restrained by seatbelt and so didnt get spiked by the antlers. Therefore he thinks fate is telling him not to wear a seatbelt.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 09:11:17

TeWi

No the police turned up and arrested him,by that point he was so incandescent with rage at being asked to belt up he punched the car window and smashed it.

shock wow. What a horrible experience.

Bogeyface Mon 27-May-13 09:58:41

wow Sock who was he?

dancingwithmyselfandthecat Mon 27-May-13 10:05:27

Ginger, I am also fairly short. I have a cushion strapped to the car seat, and I've also put a cushion around the seatbelt at the point it cuts my neck. It really sucks that they don't think about short people!

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 10:15:01

My estranged husband.

saintmerryweather Mon 27-May-13 10:19:24

i tried to turn my car round in our drive without my seatbelt on and i couldnt cope, it really didnt feel right! i dont carry any passengers in my car without their seatbelts being done up. my mum had an accident where she wasnt wearing one (car didnt have em), she went from the rear passenger side seat through the windscreen, taking the headrest with her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now