to not understand why anyone would not wear a car seatbelt?

(90 Posts)
kim147 Sun 26-May-13 17:16:24

Saw a car leaving the supermarket car park. It was a child zone but we can ignore that for the moment. grin

3 young things - bloke in front seat. No seatbelt. Girl in passenger seat was putting on belt as car drove off. Rear passenger - no belt on as drove off.

I hope they put them on as they were driving. I had a passenger recently who did not put his belt on. Should I have done? He was an adult.

Just can't understand why anyone would not wear a seatbelt.

Bogeyface Sun 26-May-13 18:26:28

A friend from school who I kept in semi contact with wasnt wearing his belt when he had an accident, he never wore it. When I saw him before the accident we would chat, catch up, have a good laugh.

His accident involved him being thrown through the front windscreen of his van and breaking his fall with his forehead. Now he doesnt know me, his family or anyone he used to know. He has such bad brain damage that he will never function independently again.

I cant drive without mine on, it would be like going out without my clothes on.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 26-May-13 18:33:26

My bro was in a car accident. The police told him his seat belt saved his life.

I find it difficult to understand why one wouldn't.

Lifeisontheup Sun 26-May-13 18:38:59

Buses have a totally different distribution of forces as a rule.

My parents and my sister and me were involved in an accident when I was four (1969). A coach hit us when we were stationary at a zebra crossing. My parents were totally uninjured and were wearing seatbelts my Dad had installed himself, all of the rest of the passengers who were not wearing seatbelts were injured in various ways including myself and my sister.

Do the maths, you are much more at risk not wearing a seatbelt.

BalloonSlayer Sun 26-May-13 18:40:20

"Another thing if they saved so many lives etc why aren't they mandatory on buses?"

Firstly because buses (as opposed to coaches, which do now have seat belts) generally do not go very fast, and are unlikely to overturn or come off the road at speed. And if they do collide with something, it is extremely likely that they are going to be the biggest item in the collision, and will not come to a sudden stop. Eg: if a car hits a brick wall it will come to a dead stop, if a bus hits a brick wall it will demolish the wall and keep going. There is little a bus can hit that would make it come to a sudden stop.

The second reason is < cynic > that if buses had to have seatbelts then no one would be allowed to stand and bus companies would make a lot less money.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sun 26-May-13 18:55:56

Susan - that advert has stayed with me since I first saw it.

Op - they're stupid.

MammaTJ Sun 26-May-13 19:07:08

My uncle died because he was not wearing a seatbelt. He slid on black ice, smashed in to a wall and his chest was crushed by the steering wheel.

SueDoku Sun 26-May-13 19:40:05

When I was 12 (a long, long time ago!) my best friend's parents were on holiday abroad without their children. They skidded, hit a railway bridge and her Mum, who never wore a seatbelt, was thrown through the windscreen and over the bridge, breaking her neck on the track below...

No-one, but no-one, gets driven in my car without wearing a seatbelt.

Princess Diana

Ilikethebreeze Sun 26-May-13 19:47:55

A young man was killed around our way, who was not wearing his seatbelt. He was the only occupant.
The accident was reported in the local newspaper, but not the fact about no seatbelt.
I could see that that may have been insensititive, but on the other hand, it may have saved lives to report it?

treaclesoda Sun 26-May-13 19:55:31

My MIL refuses to wear one as she 'doesn't feel safe with it on'. She is obsessed with how dangerous the roads are, and complains constantly about how people drive too fast (she has never learnt to drive herself) yet says things like 'we didn't have car seats when you were little, and you're all ok!'. Yes, that's because you weren't in an accident, not because you weren't using seatbelts. hmm

When I was a teacher I drove the school minibus a fair bit and I wouldn't start the engine if the kids weren't all wearing a belt. They were a bit surprised by this as apparently other teachers didn't insist on it and let them do things like having an extra student sitting on the floor. Make sure your children know that there are no exceptions, even if their friends aren't wearing a belt.

treesntrees Sun 26-May-13 20:07:44

I hated travelling with my disabled friend in her adapted van as none of her personal assistants ever restrained her empty wheelchair even after I had shown them how to restrain it. I know it was my friend's responsibility to tell them but I couldn't understand them driving with a large very heavy metal object parked unrestrained behind them. I was always glad the back passenger seat was behind the wheelchair although in a rollover that wouldn't have helped. Thankfully she no longer has her own vehicle.

MrsRogerSterling Sun 26-May-13 20:11:24

My car have an alarm type noise that gets louder and more persistent if a passenger isn't wearing a seatbelt.

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 26-May-13 20:15:11

When you're driving home from your spray tan and don't want to risk rubbing it off. That could be a reason for some.

Not me, obviously.

Oldraver Sun 26-May-13 20:18:55

Yes I am also of the 'no one travels in my car without a seatbelt. My Dad was once in the back and refused to put his belt on. It was in the days befor it was compulsory and there was a stand off for a while. My Mu told him I would get fined if he didnt (a little white lie)... He insisted that if the car didnt have belts then he would of been travelling without one...er I have never had a car without belts for the last 30 years.

In the end I told him he HAD to wear the belt or get out....he got out aand into his car to drive, and what did he do....put his belt on

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 26-May-13 21:56:32

I don't wear one, I'm medically exempt.

However, if I have passengers in the car, I will wear one, just in case as that advert of unrestrained people haunts me and I don't want to kill anybody else.

imaginethat Sun 26-May-13 22:12:04

I never understand this either, however I have come across many who don't because "it's not comfortable".

I think some people are simply too stupid to safely take part in normal life.

McNewPants2013 Sun 26-May-13 22:14:25

MRS my car to

Thinkingpositively Sun 26-May-13 22:17:21

No...It's silly not too. However, having traveled a bit to countries where families of four go out helmetless on mopeds, i can't help thinking our culture is so risk averse it borders on the ridiculous.........

ComposHat Sun 26-May-13 22:20:59

I never understand this either, however I have come across many who don't because "it's not comfortable"

If it is uncomfortable try adjusting the height of the seatbelt and/or the rake of the chair.

Just before I was born, my dad got hit in the eye whilst playing squash and spent a week or two in the eye infirmary. The majority of the other patients were very young men who weren't wearing seatbelts and had gone through the windscreens of their cars and were suffering serious eye injuries including sight loss. I imagine they were in a great deal more discomfort than if they'd worn a seatbelt.

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 22:30:43

I think some people are simply too stupid to safely take part in normal life

I love this sentence and think it applies to a lot of situations. I often wonder how certain exceptionally thick people survive grin

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 00:58:27

I once spent over an hour in Waitrose car park refusing to move my car or even start the engine because a adult passenger outright refused to put his seatbelt on or exit the car.

It was quite possibly one of the weirdest situations ever he even started getting aggressive in the car and couldn't get his head around the whole " put your seat belt on or get out of the car" line.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 27-May-13 00:59:27

Forget to add I ended up having to call the police.

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 27-May-13 07:38:16

Bloody hell pixie! Did he put it on in the end?

GingerBlondecat Mon 27-May-13 07:45:48

I DO wear my seatbelt every single trip.

But, I really hate it. it cuts across my Neck and Im forever tugging on it. I feel chocked. It leaves a red line across my neck too.

But............... I do wear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now