to not understand why anyone would not wear a car seatbelt?

(90 Posts)
kim147 Sun 26-May-13 17:16:24

Saw a car leaving the supermarket car park. It was a child zone but we can ignore that for the moment. grin

3 young things - bloke in front seat. No seatbelt. Girl in passenger seat was putting on belt as car drove off. Rear passenger - no belt on as drove off.

I hope they put them on as they were driving. I had a passenger recently who did not put his belt on. Should I have done? He was an adult.

Just can't understand why anyone would not wear a seatbelt.

You should have done with your passenger as I believe it's the drivers responsibility?

YANBU though, lots of people just don't believe the worst will happen to them though.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 26-May-13 17:20:03

Anyone who gets in my car wears a seatbelt or gets out.

Susandeath Sun 26-May-13 17:21:29

Anyone who goes in my car, adult or child, wears a seat belt or gets out. The advert where the back passenger (son) doesn't wear a seat belt and ends up crashing into the driver in an accident and kills her (his mum), just sums it up for me. My car, my rules. Don't like it, walk.

Sirzy Sun 26-May-13 17:22:00

I thought over the age of 13 it was the individuals responsibility not the drivers? Either way I wouldn't drive without everyone strapped in.

I get more annoyed when children aren't in appropriate car seats though.

Leeds2 Sun 26-May-13 17:23:18

My friend doesn't wear a seatbelt, because "it feels uncomfortable." She believes that the airbag will save her in the event of an accident.

danceponydance Sun 26-May-13 17:23:44

Anyone travelling in my car wears a seatbelt otherwise we don't go anywhere. The impact of large unrestrained objects in a car (human or otherwise) can kill or seriously injure the other occupants. It's beyond me why anyone would take the risk. YANBU

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 26-May-13 17:24:00
BackforGood Sun 26-May-13 17:25:56

I agree with you - it just feels 'odd' to not have a seatbelt on. I always feel uncomfortable on a bus for that reason.
When I'm driving I wouldn't drive anywhere unless everyone had their seatbelts on - adult or not, it's up to them, they put the belt on or they find alternative transport.

I wear them because of other drivers, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't. Didn't wear one when learning and I found I had more visibility.

Tee2072 Sun 26-May-13 17:26:39

My dad never used to wear one because 'he wasn't going to let no one tell him what to do in his car!!'

And then he nearly went through his front wind screen during an emergency stop.

Now he wears his seat belt.

oldendaysending Sun 26-May-13 17:30:34

I occasionally don't when making short journeys; bad habit. It isn't intentional, I just forget.

Susandeath Sun 26-May-13 17:32:13

First time I've tried a link, here goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHY69AFstE

Scrabbleyurt Sun 26-May-13 17:36:25

My ex didn't wear his seatbelt. Something I hated! He always said he wouldn't be dictated to over his own safety and he could make his own (stupid in my opinion) decisions. He also said he'd rather die in an accident than be maimed or disabled!

ComposHat Sun 26-May-13 17:40:20

Leeds you mate is an idiot and I hope she sees the error of her ways before she kills herself or someone else.

Seatbelts are the single most effective safety feature in any car, increasing your chance of surviving a crash by 70%

Airbags aren't design to restrain, they are to minimise face and chest injuries in the event of a crash. They will not prevent an adult not wearing a seatbelt from flying through the windscreen.

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 17:52:48

I refuse to start my car if anyone in it refuses to wear a seatbelt.

specialsubject Sun 26-May-13 17:59:39

some kids think they are invincible. Three or four teens/early twenties in one car have a hugely higher risk of dying, usually in single-vehicle incidents. (aka 'hitting the scenery').

never let anyone sit behind you unless they are wearing a belt - they are a danger to you as well as themselves. In fact, anyone who doesn't put a belt on at the first polite reminder can walk to their destination.

LaurieFairyCake - the seatbelt has no effect on visibility. Still, if you want to exit through the windscreen like Superman, that's your funeral. You'll provide an interesting challenge for the facial surgeons if you survive.

meglet Sun 26-May-13 18:04:10

Yanbu.

It's not unusual to notice people who don't bother. My neighbour drives off without it on most days angry.

Footface Sun 26-May-13 18:10:02

Bil and sil don't like seat belts as it restricts them, so they just wear the lap bit. They have passed it on to dn who can't possibly wear the belt in the correct way.

I drove mil ( without realising) on a long journey sitting behind me without her wearing a belt. I was livid. It's me she would have killed in an accident

BalloonSlayer Sun 26-May-13 18:18:16

People don't wear them because it restricts them, and they just know that THEIR driving is so good they will never have an accident. hmm

Before it was a legal requirement to wear them my late stepfather would very rarely wear one - only if my Mum nagged and nagged. Guess why he is my "late stepfather" ? Yep, spot on. sad

superbagpuss Sun 26-May-13 18:19:15

everyone should wear a belt

I don't like the across the body bit (hurts my lady humps) and sometimes not bother with that bit but am dedicated to my DC wearing theirs in their car seats properly

I do know someone who is only here today because he wasn't wearing a belt but that's got to be as luck thing.

I always love motorbikes, I have always had a healthy disregard for my life but have got better since DC

McNewPants2013 Sun 26-May-13 18:20:50

It's because they are idiots. I wonder if people would think differently if points was given to the driver as well as the fine.

I wouldn't pull off until ever seat belt is done.

McNewPants2013 Sun 26-May-13 18:23:02

Super my DH was in an accident ( before we met) and if he was wearing a seatbelt he would have been killed. I have always disbelieved him.

flanbase Sun 26-May-13 18:24:00

I only drive if everyone ids properly attached and items in the car secure as well. It's the law to wear a seat belt.

ruledbyheart Sun 26-May-13 18:24:32

My mum doesn't wear a seat belt hasn't done since my 5th birthday when the car caught fire and she couldn't undo it in her panic to get my sister and I out.

She has been stopped several times by police but never got into trouble.

I don't agree with her reasoning as its highly unlikely it would happen again but as she is over the age of 14 and not my responsibility in the vehicle I drive then its her decision I certainly wouldn't stop giving her a lift because of it.

Another thing if they saved so many lives etc why aren't they mandatory on buses?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now