To think you don't give a fruit pastille (sp?) to a 15 month old

(33 Posts)
StripedSofa Sun 26-May-13 12:57:05

Dsis accused me of being uptight when I wouldn't let her give DS one (not the round ones, one of those ones that comes in different shapes). She has three older kids and said they were fine. I say choking risk, she says paranoid. I'm right aren't I? And when does it become ok?

NoobyNoob Sun 26-May-13 19:31:57

I would and do, DD is 15 months old and has teeth - so she can chew and swallow <shurg>

formicadinosaur Sun 26-May-13 19:29:15

I'm not PFB and I wouldn't

Jinty64 Sun 26-May-13 19:18:37

I wouldn't YANBU

Nothing like that at that age. Maybe a chocolate button or two from grandma. Jelly tots were ok as a treat when he was over two. They are similar but much smaller.

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 26-May-13 19:04:29

YANBU! DS is almost 22 months and doesn't have jelly sweets like that, he can chew but chooses not to a lot of the time! I still cut grapes in half as well. It's not worth the risk IMO.

GoodbyePorkPie Sun 26-May-13 18:53:06

YANBU.

I was once faced with a FIVE year old who was choking on a very similar sweet. Instinctively I smacked her really hard on the back and it popped out. Scared the life out of me (and the girl), no way would I let a 15 month old have one.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 26-May-13 18:46:13

I think its fine by that age, but wouldn't think anyone who didn't was uptight.

YANBU. Although, at that age I'd be more concerned about the sugar content rather than the choking risk.

If someone offered DS1 a sweet as a toddler, I'd just say "No, thank you". End of story. There's not really a need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

crashdoll Sun 26-May-13 17:38:59

YADNBU or PFB. Those things are a real hazard. Plenty of time for him to rot his teeth with sweets when he's older! wink

CatsRule Sun 26-May-13 17:28:18

I wouldn't allow anyone to give them to my ds who is 15 months. He doesn't have many teeth, no back ones just 5 at the front and he chokes and retches a lot.

I suppose it depends on the child and if the parents are comfortable with it.

The grandson of a friend of my mums died choking on a grape...he was about 4 years old...much older than 15 months, had teeth and I don't personally see the difference between a grape which can be dry because of the skin and a jelly baby which is also dry!

My DS has got really good at jelly type things since he started nicking my haribo goldbears all the time.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as I was watching him but I only started giving mines them at about 18 months so am not sure at 15 months (and mines has his back teeth).

It depends on the particular child, I think.

JollyOrangeGiant Sun 26-May-13 16:53:14

25mo DS is not allowed jelly sweets. Or boiled sweets. Not PFB, just sensible.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 26-May-13 16:49:16

No way, it's a choking hazard. DS isn't allowed grapes as they are a perfect size to block off your airway. A child's airway is tiny, it doesn't take much.

My rule is DD (2 yo) gets nothing that is the size and shape of her trachea. YANBU. My paramedic friend has gone to lots of 'unresolved choking'. Not nice.

Yanbu i wouldn't, they are as hard as nails

Pozzled Sun 26-May-13 15:31:56

Seeker, it's not just hard objects- grapes are one of the worst choking hazards. Jelly sweets are similar, they can get wedged easily.

elQuintoConyo Sun 26-May-13 15:01:57

Are the fruit pastilles the hard, chewy ones? Apart from difficulty chewing with few teeth and risk of choking, far far too much bloody sugar imho, yes even if it is 'just the one'. DS does get the occasional bit of chocolate despite my iron grip or a lick of ice cream. Feel free to judge me, but if someone judged me about it to my face I'd tell them to bog off!

seeker Sun 26-May-13 14:55:53

Why ar jelly sweets a particular choking hazard? I can understand why hard sweets are, but why jelly ones?

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 26-May-13 14:54:54

I wouldn't yanbu

No way!!!!! YADNBU.

Longdistance Sun 26-May-13 14:47:43

God no, not at 15 months. My dd2 is 23 months, and she was offered some gummy sweets yesterday. She spat them out, and my dd1 is 3.8 and she hates gummy sweets too.

Slainte Sun 26-May-13 14:46:46

YANBU it's a choking hazard IMO.

Pozzled Sun 26-May-13 14:44:36

Yanbu at all. My DD2 is almost 2 and I wouldn't give her a fruit pastel.

Toddlers who don't appear to have any problems chewing and swallowing can still choke. Just not worth the risk.

BrianButterfield Sun 26-May-13 14:36:29

I wouldn't and I am not pfb about food at all. Too chokey.

Cailinsalach Sun 26-May-13 14:29:37

I think you spell it "froot".......

(sniggers)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now