To think you don't give a fruit pastille (sp?) to a 15 month old

(33 Posts)
StripedSofa Sun 26-May-13 12:57:05

Dsis accused me of being uptight when I wouldn't let her give DS one (not the round ones, one of those ones that comes in different shapes). She has three older kids and said they were fine. I say choking risk, she says paranoid. I'm right aren't I? And when does it become ok?

YANBU. Although, at that age I'd be more concerned about the sugar content rather than the choking risk.

If someone offered DS1 a sweet as a toddler, I'd just say "No, thank you". End of story. There's not really a need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 26-May-13 18:46:13

I think its fine by that age, but wouldn't think anyone who didn't was uptight.

GoodbyePorkPie Sun 26-May-13 18:53:06

YANBU.

I was once faced with a FIVE year old who was choking on a very similar sweet. Instinctively I smacked her really hard on the back and it popped out. Scared the life out of me (and the girl), no way would I let a 15 month old have one.

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 26-May-13 19:04:29

YANBU! DS is almost 22 months and doesn't have jelly sweets like that, he can chew but chooses not to a lot of the time! I still cut grapes in half as well. It's not worth the risk IMO.

Nothing like that at that age. Maybe a chocolate button or two from grandma. Jelly tots were ok as a treat when he was over two. They are similar but much smaller.

Jinty64 Sun 26-May-13 19:18:37

I wouldn't YANBU

formicadinosaur Sun 26-May-13 19:29:15

I'm not PFB and I wouldn't

NoobyNoob Sun 26-May-13 19:31:57

I would and do, DD is 15 months old and has teeth - so she can chew and swallow <shurg>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now